Is a 25-06 okay for hogs?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Jan 6, 2005.

Is a 25-06 okay for hogs?

Poll closed Apr 6, 2005.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, but only under a 150 yds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Absolutely not!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Is a 25-06 okay for hogs out to 300 yds? And if not, then what would you say the max is? (With premium deep-penetrating bullets)

And would it make a decent elk cartridge?
    (Only answer the elk question if you've shot an elk or really know your stuff, please)

Thanks.

2. grimel

grimel Guest

Yes and yes. 115gr or 120gr Nosler Partion (with the 120 getting preference). Hit the vitals and get ready to clean your food.

That said, on ELK if it was a "once in a lifetime" event and I couldn't wait for the perfect shot you might want something a tad bit bigger chunking a bigger hunk of lead.

3. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

In my opinion a 25-06 would be an OK hog gun. If you want to put them down where they stand brake the spine. I made a perfect heart and lung shot on a hog with mine and it ran quite aways and stopped in some pretty thick cover. It was tough getting in there and getting it out.

I went to Colorado on a hunt back several years ago and I was surprised at all the people shooting the 25-06 for elk. I don't doubt it will take one but I think it might be a little light, but that is my opinion. A guide that we have used on a couple of different hunts was talking about all the people shooting the 25's and he said he liked it. However, he was carrying a 7mag.

My 25-06, of which I have several, are reserved for antelope and some times deer. I think it is a sweet caliber I just don't shot mine enough.

4. wwb

wwb Super Member

For long shots on hogs, the trajectory won't be as flat, but try the parent cartridge --- the old tried and true .30-'06

If you're concerned about being able to use it on elk, the .30 beats the .25 all to heck and then some.

5. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

IMO, a 25-06 is fine for hogs...as long as you select the right bullet. You'll want something that has both good expansion, wt. retention, and penatration. i.e. Something like a Sierra Gameking 120 gr. etc.

As far as Elk go, a .22 will kill them if you're close enough and hit them in the vitals. But it's not the caliber that I'd choose. Neither is a 25-06. A 25-06 is adequate for mulies but I'd take a 30-06 as a minimum. I think the 25-06 is generally inadequate for Elk...even with a good hunting bullet. I also think it would really limit the distance you shoot at and require very exact shot placement.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hell yeah man great cart. for hogs a buddy of mine uses a savage model 112bvss and is gettin them out to 500yrds. I give it 2 thumbs up. God for deer to about 450 yrds too : )

7. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I concur with everything said above. The 26/06 is fine for hogs but select a heavy Nosler Partician. Do not use a vermint bullet to shoot a hog. If you do, it's just blow up and the hog will get away.

In my experience hog shots are close ones. I've never taken a long shot at a hog and I usually use a 30/30 Winchester loaded with 170 grainers.

A shotgun loaded with slugs would probably be okay too, but I've never used one.

8. luvtohunt.com

luvtohunt.com Guest

You've got enough gun. Just make sure your pushing some heavier lead and loads.

Kelsey
    www.luvtohunt.com

9. taxmiser

taxmiser Guest

I've hunted elk since 1967 and have taken a good number with a variety of cartridges. I've used a 6mm Remington, a 6X60mm, I designed, 257 AI, 6.5X55 Imp. I also designed, 264 Mag., 270 and 30-06. The 25 bore has always done what was expected. More important is what has already been stated..........you need to select the proper bullet for the chosen target.

A close friend who is the most successful elk hunter I know uses nothing but the 25-06. He is a rancher and guides as well.

Can't speak for hogs as I have never hunted them, but I would bet my socks the right bullet, placed properly wouldn't do one any good.

Good Shooting,
    Dale

10. taxmiser

taxmiser Guest

I've hunted elk since 1967 and have taken a good number with a variety of cartridges. I've used a 6mm Remington, a 6X60mm, I designed, 257 AI, 6.5X55 Imp. I also designed, 264 Mag., 270 and 30-06. The 25 bore has always done what was expected. More important is what has already been stated..........you need to select the proper bullet for the chosen target.

A close friend who is the most successful elk hunter I know uses nothing but the 25-06. He is a rancher and guides as well.

Can't speak for hogs as I have never hunted them, but I would bet my socks the right bullet, placed properly wouldn't do one any good.

Good Shooting,
    Dale