Is accuracy of mini 14 comparable to accuracy of AK?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by dlip, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dlip

dlip Guest

I'm trading in my AK, no if's and's or but's. I'm wanting to buy a mini 14 and a guy I know is selling one for 350. I haven't seen it, but he says it looks like it hasn't been shot much. I'm not looking as much for super accuracy as much as I'm looking for a good truck/work gun. I do a lot of field work so I normally keep a pistol with me but would like to have something like a mini 14. Some people find 3" at 100 yards unacceptable, sure, it's not that great, but I can look beyond that. What is the reliability of this gun with cheap bulk ammo. Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown bear, etc...... I need a gun that shoots EVERY time and I don't want to have to buy ammo that is an awful lot higher priced than wolf or any of the others. I also think this gun would be a good fall turkey rifle. Thanks for the input.

2. slugmensch

slugmensch Guest

The Mini-14 has a POTENTIAL for good accuracy, probably better accuracy that the AK series. The round used (.223) tends to be more accurate. However, these rifles are VERY often let down, in terms of accuracy, by the extremely thin barrel of the standard model...by less than perfect quality control...by imprecision in the fit of the action in the stock (improper bedding)...and by a barrel that usually doesn't free-float. Most, if not all, of these deficiencies can be rectified...but, not without some effort and expense. In terms of baseline accuracy, the average out-of-the-box Mini-14 will usually do approx. 3"- 4" at 100 yds...(this varies, of course). Most good AK's will do about the same, with good ammo. So, there is (in most cases) no real accuracy advantage to the Mini-14...at least, out-of-the-box. The Mini-14 also has a history of some reliability problems, especially if milsurp ammo is used (lots of jams). The chambers tend to be rather tight...and do NOT do well with (many types of) milsurp ammo. They tend, also, to be TERRIBLE with steel-cased ammo, such as that by Wolf....especially if laquer-coated.

Having said all of that, let me say that you certainly should do as you wish - I am NOT trying to do any more than give you the facts. The quality control (and some other issues) with the Mini-14 may have improved in the last few years...I don't know. Further, as I said, the Mini-14 does (probably) have more POTENTIAL than the AKs. Just don't get one expecting it to be head and shoulders better than the AK. The Mini can be a fun rifle...but, for my money, I ended up preferring the AK (a variation thereof), with it's rock-solid reliability.

By the way, in case you are interested....there is a good discussion of the pros and cons of the Mini-14 rifles, over at the "Rifle Opinions" forum on this site.

3. moontroll

moontroll Guest

Never had an ak so I cant say much about it,I have owned a mini 14 and liked it but I once new a military guy who was in on the testing when they tested it aginst the m16.The mini has a straped barrel and when the barrel starts to get hot (like after 10 to 15 rapid fire shots) the bullets start flying everywhere.When the barrel starts getting hot the strap stretches and and no one knows where the next round goes.Outside of this I liked mine the accuracy was ok but not real impresive.I got rid of mine,but they are fun little plinkers

4. mak48

mak48 Guest

My uncle teaches firearms for our local police department and they carry mini-14s in the cruisers instead of shotguns like most departments. Its a good reliable gun but when I shoot them I rarely hit the paper. needless to say my uncle is in the process of trading them for AR type rifles. one of the nicest rifles i ever shot was an m4 and even though I hate all that tactical plastic crap they are a nice rifle. But IMO the mini-14 is a good gun for a base, something I would sporterize somewhat, to get acceptable groups.

5. Clayslayer

Clayslayer Well-Known Member

The AK and the Mini 14 will be about the same. Neither will win any shooting matches out of the box. The heavier round of the AK will not be moved around as much by the wind, the lighter round (.223) of the mini will be a LOT cheaper.

For a plinker there is nothing wrong with the mini 14. If you just want something to shoot a few varmints with and such you'll be pleased with it. There are also a plethera of aftermarket addons available for it.

If you want something a little "better" the AR-15/M-16 family of rifles are probably the best .223's out there. I've been shooting them for a little over 10 years and have been very pleased with them. There are a few companies out there (Olympic Arms!!!) that specialize in these things and make some truly magnificient pieces.

6. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

Re: re: Is accuracy of mini 14 comparable to accuracy of AK?

Cheaper? I didn't realize that you could get centerfire rifle ammo cheaper than AK 7.62X39.

7. Clayslayer

A good source of 7.62 AK/SKS ammo will definately be cheap but nothing is cheaper than crappy milsurp .223/5.56 ammo.

It's the cheapest centerfire ammo out there. Period.

The only thing cheaper per round is .22LR

8. EasternBloc

EasternBloc Guest

I actually just lost a bid on gunbroker today for a mini-14. I had the opportunity to buy 3 years ago a former CT Dept. of corrections mini-14 at a good price. I passed and still kick myself to this day.

9. Clayslayer

I don't blame you. If given the choice though I'd definately take an M-14 to a mini-14 any day of the week.

10. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: Is accuracy of mini 14 comparable to accuracy of AK?

W3rd up. The M14 (or the civilian counterpart M1A, anyway) is one damn fine rifle. I really regret selling the one I had, and someday when I'm making good $$$, I'm gonna buy another one, only with some upgrades. The M14 was the last REAL rifle used by our military (which is why it is still used by certain units). I'm hoping Hogue will make a stock for it one of these days.

11. boo

boo Guest

scuse my french but most AK's will group 2" to 3 " at 100 yards with no problem. problems with an AK????? what happened ? were you out of ammo or have you not practiced with it enough?
    Ia m interested in hearing what went wrong
    AK's are like the energizer bunny, they keep going and going
    I would not trade an AK for a mini 14.
    7.62X39 is a very good deer round. Use a hunting bullet for this caliber and hit in the killzone they won't go far.
    I have a Mini 14. the claim that they start to open up after 14 rounds sounds like a flinching problem to me. The 14 while not known for extreme subminute groups will get the job done
    I have used mine in a carbine couse firing over 1500 rounds in 3 days and no problems
    The mini 14 weaknesses are the rear sight and it will not accept AR mags
    Both AK and Mini14 are great guns. big difference in rounds though