It's official! I've gone nuts!!

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by pigeonhunter, Apr 26, 2005.

1. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I'm gonna forego buying a varmint rifle, and buy my custom instead. But! I'm taking Drop-Shot's advice and going with a Montana Rifleman action. And I'm gonna go with the .264 Win Mag intead of the .257 WBY. And I'm going with a diffrent stockmaker. Oregunsmithing

Deer, hogs, bears and varmints of California beware! (And Elk if I get a tag)

Pigeonhunter's gettin' gettin himself a rifle!!!!

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Wow pigeonhunter,I like that stock,and I like the cartridge you chose.Just because other folks think a cartridge is replaced don't mean the 264 mag wasn't and is a super round.Go for it buddy.I choose a cartridge that is almost gone over the hill,the 300H&H,I have fond memorys of that rifle.It wasn't mine but I wanted one and when I get all my ducks in a row I'm getting the montnarifleman barrelled action and a quality stock like you showed.These would be guns we would never think of parting with,forever guns.What scope do you have in mind?I can't get one right now but i can get excited over a buddy getting one,and thats good also.Scope choice?Drop-Shot

3. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I already have the scope. A Loopy VX2 3-9x50.

I'm as giddy as a school girl!

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

pigeonhunter,going with all premieum parts can make a world of difference,good stock,good barrelled action,good scope,I'm jealous.I have to wait awhile,but will be right behind ya.Drop-Shot

5. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

are you going with a barreled action or are you getting your barrel from another source? and if so what barrel are you going w/?

Aaron

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Aaron when I get mine I plan on getting the barrelled action,the barrells are kept at the same diminsions as the Shilin Select air guaged barrells.I don't know where they get them.The web site is www.montanarifleman.com I think or go to search engine and look up Montana Rifleman and it should bring it up.I have talked to several folks that have one and every one likes theirs.One person that owns a gun shop has one in 308 and shoots 1/2 inch groups on calm days and on windy days he still shoots 3/4 inch groups.Another guy has one in 223 and swears he shoots 1 hole that he can't measure with a tape or ruler,he guesses 1/4 inch groups or less and will duplicate it if asked,all love theirs.Drop-Shot

7. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

I think I may go with Lilja.......

Nah! I'm goin' Shilen!

8. Please post pictures. I need to see this rifle!!! :D

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

In a word... 8) !

The 6.5mm has long been overlooked. It is a fantastic bore diameter in an effective and fun round. A friend bought a Winchester Mdl 70 Westerner in 1961, still has it, and has never used anything else all his life. I remember when he got it. We thought he had the ultimate long range rifle of all time. In many ways we were right...not enough other people thought so, however. :cry: The 264 is an excellent choice and is about as much fun to play with as a barrel full of cheerleaders. :p :p :wink:

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Clayshooter25/25 I can't post any picture yet,go to montanarifleman.com I think is right,look at barrelled actions,then go to accuracyinnovations.com(again I think is right) and look at the walnut classic.It is beautifull walnut with a black fore stock end piece,the stock has an aluminum chassis to lay the barrelled action on,the barrell is free floated and the aluminum chassis will hold tha barrelled action solid shot after shot.Thats my choice,pigeonhunter will use their custom built action and he wants to go with the shilen barrell and a composite stock.He most likely will get his first as I will have to wait awhile.The wife has several projects that will take any savings I have towards the custom rifle project. Luv2safari I agree with your assesment of the 264 win mag.I can only invision the barrell full of cheerleaders,nice thought.All I could do is look and I have to remind my wife of 33 years that I gave her my heart,not my eyeballs.That was my dream gun several years ago,and I wouldn't mind having one now,but my first choice will be a 300 H&H,just to re-live passed memorys.Drop-Shot

11. pigeonhunter

pigeonhunter Guest

Luv2, you better be right. 'Cause for the amount of money I'm spending, I could get a barrel full of Cheerleaders! :p

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: It's official! I've gone nuts!!

It works well from ground squirrels to elk. Use premium bullets for big game!

If you have a barrel full of cheerleaders, I'll trade you my good old Remington 721 in 300 H&H straight across. :p :wink:

13. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

luv2safari,
    Remember to get at least a three day trial period before confirming the deal.One should never buy or trade for something of this nature without trying it out first, especially as you are offering something of such obvious value.