KickEez/DeadMule and other recoil reducing gadgets

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Clayslayer, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Clayslayer

Clayslayer Well-Known Member

I have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight chambered in .270 Winchester. The gun fits me well and shoots great and is one deer killin mamma jamma. The recoil on the other hand is.......horrible. The gun came with a hard rubber butt plate and only weighs about six and a half pounds.

I recently had a GraCoil put on my Beretta 686 shotgun to tame some of the recoil from that thing down. Prior to getting the GraCoil reducer I had a DeadMule recoil reducer in the stock. Of course putting the GraCoil on meant that the DeadMule had to go.....so:

I decided to put it in my shoulder abusing .270 and while I was at it I had my gunsmith put on a KickEez recoil pad. Made a BIG difference.

Just curious what any of you do for recoil reduction in your toys.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

After buying a 300 winmag barrel for my Encore I found that I needed a little better pad than the one that came with it. I added a Limbsaver pad and while it didn't exactly tame the recoil,it made it a bit more comfortable.

HWD

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

C-slayer, I feel your pain. My Savage 7-08 is trim, handy, and light but makes my 30-06 seem positively timid at the bench due to the straight butt pad (I like a bit of contour in the butt for best fit). I just picked up a PAST recoil shield and hope to try it out this week when testing some reloads. I'll try and report back after I have had a chance to go through a box or two or ammo.

4. Clayslayer

Good luck with the PAST. I've heard good things about them.

That darn .270 of mine still barks like a mad bastard. It's not near as bad as it was but it still knocks you around when you shoot it. It's gotta be one of the hardest kicking guns I've ever fired. My dad's got (nearly) the same gun: .270, Win Mod 70 etc and it seems to have 1/2 the recoil. Then again it probably weighs better than 2 pounds more than mine.

That darn featherweight option sure is a dream to carry out in the woods though! It's awful light and easy to carry. Probably why it kicks so darn hard.

5. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

C-Slayer - The PAST shield works very well. I shot 2/3rds box 'o handloads using the MAG Shield out of the Savage and came home bruise-free and the shoulder feeling like I had shot a 22 RF. My son is recoil sensitive and won't shoot from the bench unless he has the shield on now.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey clayslayer is that deadmule a merqurey recoil reducer?I was thinking of trying one for my shotgun.Drop-Shot

7. Clayslayer

It's not a mercury reducer. It's 7/8" round by about 6" long. Inside of the housing there is a spring loaded weight. The whole contraption weighs about 8 ounces or so.

When you fire the gun the recoil causes the weight to compress the spring and reduce recoil (in theory anyway). I have used this same thingy in my shotgun and rifle and in my opinion they work pretty darn good.

8. CaCrusin

CaCrusin Guest

Re: re: KickEez/DeadMule and other recoil reducing gadgets

Take a look at the Knoxx Rifle CompStock at
    http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Prod ... pstock.htm
    Be sure and watch the video.

CaCrusin 8)