Last Safari...

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by luv2safari, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 1. USA, Somewhere far from home

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2. Canada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Alaska

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4. Europe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. South America

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6. Asia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7. Australia/New Zealand

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 8. Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I was fortunate to inherit a modest bit of loot recently, and I'm not going to pay off my charged up, high interest credit cards. :wink:

I'm going back to Africa one more time...last safari for me, as my earning power is down and I'm not so young any more.

I'm going after Cape Buffalo...two of them, Thompson's and Grant's Gazelle, Coke's Hartabeest, White Bearded Wildebeest......AAAANNNNDDDD...LEOPARD! The Leopard will be a Zimbabwe hunt, and the rest in NW Tanzania. This will put me in the poor house for the rest of my life, but SO WHAT??!!?? I'll be shooting my dad's old Winchester Model 70; I turned it from an '06 into a 375 H&H Mag...Dennis Olsen did the work. I'll also take a 9,4X74R double rifle with two other sets of barrels...12ga over 9,3X74R for Leopard and 12/12 for bird hunting.

My dad died last summer; he always said he would hunt Africa, but he never did. An old and good friend just dropped dead the other day; he always said he would go with me on safari some day...he never did. This is my last and best safari, ever, and I do feel blessed to have done what I have done and will do.

I still have my dream animals to hunt, but never will, as they are rich men's trophys...Gerenuk, Lesser Kudu, Sable, Fringe Eared Oryx, Roan, Lord Derby Eland, Bongo, Giant Forest Hog...so many others...

My reason for posting this is not to boast...it is to spur any fence sitters to jump down and chase the dream. There are ways to make these things happen. Most all of us could make them happen with enough determination and planning; that's how I have done it on a very modest income. This last ever of my safaris is just a product of good fortune.

Should any of you good forum members feel the urge to go on safari, please let me know. I can help you do it, and I seek NO PROFIT or booking commissions from a forum member. Since this is my last, I'm not looking to future favors from my outfitters. I only hope that some of you read this and follow your dreams...wherever they lead... :D

Please let us all know your dream hunts 8) ...what, where, companions...!!! :D I always like to add to my own list of daydreams. :wink:

Regards to All,
    L2Shttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/luv2safari/MVC-007L.jpg

2. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to hunt moose in Alaska.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

When I was a young man 15 or 16 I worked at Lion Country Safari in West Palm Beach Florida and had a cape buffalo kill an older gentileman, friend of my dad that also worked there.I have always wanted to take a cape buffalo and all the Hiennas I can get a scope on.Just in round about figures,what would it cost for a cape buffalo?What would be the least caliber to do it cleanly?Just dreaming.Drop-Shot

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Last Safari...

Mike...ME TOO!! :shock: 8) 8) 8)

Drop-Shot,

The least you could expect to spend, everything included would be around $11,000.00-$12,000.00. A 2X1 hunt with another hunter and one PH in the Selous region of Tanzania runs about $7,000.00-$8,000.00, then you have to get there & back...$2,300.00...have the trophy dipped and shipped back through Customs and USDA...$1,400.00. It is all worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. :D

Years ago I decided that I would hunt Africa at the expense of any eventual retirement. I don't regret the fact that I'll have to work until I drop dead because I decided that Safaris in Africa were ahead of anything else on my list. It becomes like an addiction...

As to caliber...A PH likes to see a hunter show up with a 375 H&H or a 416 Rem or Rigby. I have gone from the Rigby to a 375 H&H, now that there are some great 350 gr .375 bullets on the market. I take two scopes for the 375, a 1X4 Leupold sighted in at 100 yards for the 350s, and a 2.5X8 Loopy sighted in at 200 yards for my 270 gr load to use for plains game. I use Warn QD mounts. While walking/stalking I ALWAYS keep the scope turned to its LOWEST power. One never knows when a ticked off lion or old Dugga Boy might decide to cause :shock: :shock: a bit of harm... :shock: :shock: . They can come out of nowhere for no reason... :idea:

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I would pay down those credit cards first.... then charge the trip on them! Gotta build up them Cabela's/air miles/cash back points!! My "dream trip" is much like your Safari though, as long as we are dreaming, I would dearly like to take a leopard and a lion also. I would love to travel back in time to Asia and hunt tiger but with a rickety "wild animal preserve" only a few miles away I may not have to travel far nor back in time to get one. As mentioned in an earlier thread, a polar bear would also be a good trophy that I would really like to get. I just came back from ptarmigan and caribou hunting in Alaska last night and now have to go out and try to shoot a black bear this evening. I hate this time of year, too much to do and not enough time nor money to do it.

6. Peter V

Peter V Guest

Kinda ironic I found this thread at the time I did; I've just finished doing an article featuring guidelines on how to get the most out of an African safari.

This article is essentially as a result of meeting up with many folk during the many years I been in the safari business.

Nearly all of them had a similar set of challenges to deal with when faced with trying to turn that dream hunt into reality, those challenges almost always included "where do I go and how can I be sure that I get the most of out my safari".

This is especially true for folk who can only come out to hunt in Africa once in a lifetime for whatever reason.

Let me know if you are interested in reading the article, and I'll point you to it.

Yours in hunting...

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Welcome, Peter. I have a good friend who attended your PH school and is trying to get his safari business off the ground...do you know Clement Victor?

I believe you and I met at SCI a year or two ago in Reno.

I hope members here look into your organization and partake of your wealth of knowledge. You have a clearinghouse of anything a safari client might need to know. I have been trying, here, to spur along an interest in African hunting. Our members need to know what a bargain Africa is and the diversity of hunting available to them.

Hunting plains game is within reach of about anyone who has the determination to make it happen, and you don't need to mortgage the house. :D

Again...WELCOME, PETER!

8. Peter V

Peter V Guest

Thanks for the welcome. I do remember Clement from some time back, anycase I have been spending the lion's share of my time getting our Guild up and running. As you have pointed out, we have amassed a fair bit of information and experience via the Guild and are now taking it to the international hunting community.

Your are 100% right about plains game hunting being a great experience and there are many options to suit most budgets; trick is to find a reliable, ethical, and above board outfitter. Again this year we have seen folk being burnt by outfits who don't deliver on what their glossy brochures depict.

For the same reasons you cite regarding getting folk interested in Africa, my team and I have put together a bunch of "fun stuff" on our website. Through this we hope to be able to share some of what the great game lands of Africa have to offer as well as provide some insight and educational stuff.

The special features section you referred to your buff hunt post is where all the fun stuff can be found i.e on www.africanhuntersguild.com this special feature section has great video footage, a good safari guide and a series of "pop quiz" type tests (based on the tests we used in the PH school) for folk who want to test their general knowledge wrt hunting Africa.

If you have some time, please try out the test's, I'll pop by here to participate as often as I can.

Take care

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Okay I have no clue what I'm talking about as the following will prove.

Is hunting africa as simple as Getting a hunting license for what ever country you are going to. Packing your gun and some hardcore camping gear, going there and wandering around?

10. Peter V

Peter V Guest

Mr. "Cook", unfortunately hunting in Africa is seldom simple, even for folk who live here.

For the most part, each country in Africa has very clear set of rules and regs that define how a foreign national should accommodated when visiting as a hunter. Again, and for the majority of these countries, their game dept rules state that foreign / visiting hunters need to be accompanied at all times by professional hunter (PH), with a valid PH license for the region / area hunted. Similarly, that the hunt is organised and facilitated by a licensed outfitter.

This is done to protect visiting hunters and done in their best interests; Africa has many a nasty way to trip up folk who don't know what they are in for. An outfitter and his PH's are there to outfit the hunting trip or safari, to guide the visiting hunters, and to ensure they get through the entire experience satisfactorily.

Have a look at http://www.africanhuntersguild.com/inde ... rview.ascx and download the pdf file. This guideline should provide some more pointers towards answering your specific question.

Hope this helps some!

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

You can take a Kudu like this one and several other nice animals for no more than the price of a guided elk hunt here in the West. :shock: :D

[​IMG]
    He was taken near Chinoy, Zimbabwe. My partner took a great Roland Ward Livingstone's Eland the on same safari. The skinner is starting to cape it out...
    L2S

12. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Can't afford guided hunts :cry: guided moose hunts in US?
    I dunno..... guides..... I preffer the no clue trial blazing method of hunting. You don't shoot as much, but you get to explore and get to know an area pretty well. I founda great spot for crawfish in malibustate park this way. sans rifle of course :(

13. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

I voted for Europe. I would love to hunt in the Black Forest of Germany. Just about anywhere would do . I still want to go here in the U.S. if I can ever get the money up. Hey , I might go to Africa if it's the same cost as an American elk hunt. The only thing is how do you get your meat back to the states?

14. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good evening 8point,my uncle the judge went several times when I was young and told us all his storys and kept us all excited about his adventures.He donated the meat to the local folks and had his capes sent back with him,he said the meat would not keep for the long flight back.Of course that was before dry ice or other means to keep it cooled for the trip back.He said some of the locals didn't eat meat as often as you would think and a donated animal made for good relations with the locals and all thanked him for his kindness by helping him every chance they got.I would like to be remembered as kind but I sure would want part of the meat for my money spent,the prime cuts,backstraps and rear hinds sure would be nice.Drop-Shot

15. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Can't bring meat back...even the biltong...African version of jerkey. Eat all you can while there.

The only people who can get the meat in are the ultra rich trash like Michael Jackson and Liz Taylor. They had box car loads of African game flown in for a birthday party. The only way to get this done is with enormous bribes.

I HATE these scummy celebrities, and don't much like their fans! :evil:

In most parts of Africa, where hunting is on private land, the meat is owned by the land owner, much the same as in Europe at times. This is one of the ways the land owner makes his living, selling the meat. In the government owned areas as in Tanzania, the meat goes mostly to the local people. It all adds for the respective economies and helps keep prices down, somewhat.

I eat game for every meal while there. The PHs and camp staff think I'm crazy...might be right... :wink: Impala liver is out of this world. :D

16. GunRunner

GunRunner Guest

(I love talking about dreams)
    Mine is to buy some land down in Namibia. Something modest... but enough to get some game here and there.
    I'm trying to aim towards having hunting retreats around the world. Alaska, Africa, Australia. I know it's just about impossible, but I'll die trying, and by trying I mean hunting.

17. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

My vote (for today, anyways) went to Asia. I'd like to pop a tiger in the thick stuff(Oops! Not PC to say kill dat tigre, huh?)
    I'd also like to see what my .375 could do to a Gaur. My dream... :D :D :D
    ///olde 8) pharte///