lessons relearned !!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by huntswithdogs, May 26, 2005.

1. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Guys,

Last nite, I relearned something that I thought I remembered. WRONG!!!!!!!!!
    When reloading shells for anything,do it when and where you'll not be distracted. I got distracted tues while loading and it could have been fatal.
    I was loading for my 25-06 and 243. On the 25-06,I've been working up 1/2 grain at a time and my groups were coming together nicely. They got smaller with each increase of powder. My last choice was loading at max (54.7 gr H4831sc). I loaded a whole box and took them to the range last nite along with my 243. When I touched off that 25-06,it kicked the crap out of me! When I open the action,it was tight and something fell out. A primer ? The primer pocket is now big enough to set a shotgun primer in and has this black stuff all over the base. What did I do?? Loaded another of course! It went offand kick me pretty well also,but the primer was still there. "Heck,shoot another one" I says. Boooom!! Guess what... primer fell out,again(yeah, it kick the crap out of me again also). I put the rifle down after looking it over and looked through the spotting scope. I had missed the 18x18 target that I was shooting at! 3 shots, clean paper. Something ain't real kosher here in pickleville!

I shot my 243 a couple of times then and decided that I really should consider another kind of powder to put behind these 105gr AMax bullets. While the recoil was almost nonexistant,they just weren't grouping.Good thing was,I could at least hit the paper with this rifle.

I shot another load from my 25-06 and it shot without primer damage(entirely different load,loaded last month). When I got home,I pulled one of the bullets from the 2506 and weighted the charge. 57.4 grains instead of 54.7 !! My loads for the 243 weighted 40.8 and 40.7(they should have been 47 and 48 grains of H1000).
    I load using a hornady magnetic scale and hadn't paid attention when setting the scale. The first setting should be set on 50 ,the second setting is for after the point(.?) should have been at 7 not 4 and the final setting should have been 4 not 7.

This is what can happen to someone that has loaded for YEARS and 1000's of rounds.Just like Dropshot's dropped shell going off, Ya just never know!
    I felt I needed to share this with so ya'll can learn from my mistakes.

Thankfully I'm still here to do it.

HWD

2. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

It is so easy to let something distract you and after that it just goes down hill!!!

Sure glad you and the rifle seem to be all right!

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

HWD I can see how that could happen,listening to the radio and picking up notes and read them and still reverse something on the scale.WOW If it can happen to us old timers that have thousands of rounds under our belts it can happen to anyone.I'm glad you didn't get hurt and all you have to deal with is egg on the face for a bit,I sure did.These mistakes can shock us back to reality and now we know it can happen to us.I am more saftey conscience now than before.Glad your ok buddy.Drop-Shot

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

You guys really help me with your stories.They stick in my mind and when I reload I think about what happened to you.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Guys,

Pulled another stupid one yesterday. I was at the range and a large ground hog came out in the clear(right behind the 200 yd targetstands) and started feeding. I had my 25/06 on the bench,so I grabbed a shell from the plastic box sitting there and shut the action. Evidently,the ground hog must know what happens right after a rifle action closes,'cause he hauled butt back into the weeds. After waiting to see if he'd stick his head back out,I sighted on the target and pulled the trigger. Something didn't sound just right and the cloud of dust that flew up 20 yds short of the target didn't seem right either. When I tried to open the action,it would only come about halfway and I had to force it (just a little bit) open.

Another mistake because I WASN'T paying ATTENTION!!!

I had been shooting a couple of different rifles and had stuck a shell for my 243 in my 25/06.

Just another lesson for ya'll at my expense! Keep only the shells,for the rifle that you're shooting,on the bench. Put all the others somewhere else.

Thankfully,I must have an angel sitting on my shoulder or just watching me really close. These past 2 incidents could have been bad. My rifle and myself have both survived while I've head up my butt!!!!!!!

Ya'll be real careful out there,

HWD

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

HWD that happens more than we think it can.If we shoot multiple calibers we really have to be carefull!I'm glad your ok and the guns ok.The first time heard of that I thought I thought it would be difficult to do that but over the years I have heard several storys of that happening.The one that sticks out in my mind was a 270 rifle winchester 70,the shooter picked up a 30/06 shell and loaded it in the magazine,first shot was normal the second round would not chamber,30 cal bullet would not go in the 27 cal bore,when trying to extract the unfriendly round, the extractor broke.(he pushed the bullet far enough to stick in the bore)The gunsmith cleaned up his mistake but related the story so we would be carefull.The police came to a accidential discharge of a weapon this weekend around the corner from my house,the 357 bullet went through the roof of his house and the police was trying to find out where the bullet landed.A neighbor looked around his roof and my roof for damage but found none,attic also ok.Neighbor across the street was gone on a long weekend,might have hit his house.We have to be carefull of ourselves and other folks also.Drop-Shot