Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure you're all familiar with them..... the books in the plastic binding that are geared towards reloading one cartridge only. Are these a good source of information? I have the Speer #13 and the Hodgdon manuals, and there's not a terribly large amount of information on loading the 6.5 Swedish, but there is a Loadbooks for it. Since I'll be primarily using this rifle for pretty much everything I don't use my .22LR for, I would like to have as much good info on loading it as I can find. Any input?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If they are the soft paper covered ones with plastic ringed bindings that I'm thinking of, they are not worth the price. Most of the loads in them are reprints from the powder companies and can be found for free online or in the free manuals. I would suggest getting a manual from the bullet company you plan on using along with the powder company. There really isn't much more you need than that in my opinion. Most info for the 6.5 Swede will come from articles in publications like Rifle or Handloader Magazine and not reloading manuals. Infact, this is where most good info will be found for any cartridge.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
I'm not even going to answer you. :? You have one, and I don't, except for my full military rifle that still has the cosmoline in the barrel.

I think the 6.5X55 is a fantastic light recoil round that kills all out of proportion to its size and power. I had one many years ago in a nice BRNO full stock carbine.

I'd get one more book and find a middle ground in their data. Then work up a load that works for your particular rifle. The 140gr pills are real effective on animals up to, and including caribou, and in Scandinavia they shoot A LOT of moose with it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: re: Loadbooks?

uglydog said:
Most info for the 6.5 Swede will come from articles in publications like Rifle or Handloader Magazine and not reloading manuals.
I'll hafta check into that, for sure. Even if it's just reprinted materials, it would have a lot of loads for just that one cartridge without having to sift through a whole lot of pages just to find load info for it. The Speer #13 only has two or three different bullets in it, with several different powders :shock: . My Hodgdon has more than that.

Anyhoo, looks like I'll be looking for a copy of one of those magazines after work today....

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The manuals from the various powder companies will generally have the most info regarding bullet types but will only list their powders except for the Hodgdon manual which will list loads from the other major powder companies. With that one, you will have a about the largest collection of loads available in a single place. The only other manuals I'd suggest are one from both the bullet manufacturer that you will be using and one from the powder company. The manuals you are talking about I think are a little dated too. I looked at one for the 12 ga and it still listed Olin powders that have been off the market for nearly 20 years. For the ~$10 asked for them, I'd go to the individual powder websites, print off the recipies, and tape or paste them into my own load book. That way I would have the most up to date material and could change it as necessary in the future. One other manual that might be interesting would be Lyman's cast bullet manual. It has tons of info on cast bullets and some of the loads are very accurate and easy on the pocketbook and shoulder. I'm looking hard at some in 30/30 and .358 for fun shooting and even hunting.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about it's usually colored paper with plastic ring binders. It's nothing special it just compiles all the information for a single case "mine being 30-06" in one single little book. It has info from all the big bullet manufaturers and the top two powder guys I think. For me only owning a 30-06 this book saved me alot of money and made for easy reference and comparison. I think these books are a great value.

Oh and that lyman book ugly is talking about rocks!! if nothing else it's a great toilet reader. Tons of good information for anyone who likes firearms.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Midway carries Loadbooks if you're still interested...I've got several of them for different calibers, they have data and info from just about every powder and bullet maker that produces data for that cartridge, most of it takes the data direct from the manuals that I've compared them to, Barnes, Speer(online), Hodgdon, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady and Lee. Sportsmans Warehouse carries them too, if you have one near ya.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=509664

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.