Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a rifle and scope combo that 'can' be accurate at long ranges. Like 500 to 1000 yards. Of course, I will be the weakest link in this setup for a while.
I have looked into it, and a Remington 700 seems like a good start. But what caliber? I am thinking .308. I would like it to reach out and kill a deer at long range. I don't know what range would just be paper punching vs actual hunting range.

I have read enough on this subject to know, that this is not a cheap venture. Step one, get the gun, step two, get a scope. So, I have a little extra tax refund to buy a rifle. If I get the rifle, I will have to get the scope.... I want a nice long range setup. If it takes me a couple of years to get it, then so be it.

Any advice on what caliber and what basic gun I am going to start with is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Check here:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12%20PALMA

or

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... NCH%20REST

or

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12%20FTR

Shooting Times magazine shot one of the 12 Series target rifles when they were first introduced.... I don't remember the figure, but it was something amazing, like a 3/4" group at 300 yards or some such. Thinking it was a fluke, they tried it again.... same result. Their conclusion was that this rifle shot better than most of the $5,000+ custom built benchrest rifles. Savage is also selling just the bare action to custom rifle builders... that ought to tell you something.

The problem with "long range deer hunting" is that the .308, although you can hit a deer well beyond that range, really only has the power to do it effectively up to a maximum of about 400 yards, if you use the 1,000 ft-lb energy criteria.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you think you can hit at 1,000 yards, the .338 Lapua will certainly do the job. Be prepared to lay out a small fortune for the rifle, and keep laying out the dough for the ammo.

The .30-06, with the right loads, will get you out to about 600 yards with a minimum of 1,000 ft-lb, and the .338 Win Mag will do 800, maybe more.... I'd have to check some ballistics charts to be sure. Neither of them is available in a "Target" rifle over the counter, as far as I know.... you're into custom rifle territory.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Most of the serious 1000 yard target shooters seem to prefer the 300 Win Mag as I recollect. Wind drift is a big factor at that range. Some use the 7 mag but the 300 is most common and a growing number of folks use customized rigs in 6.5mm. The 30-378 Weatherby was a contender for long range military sniping until the 50 BMG took the throne. So there is a range of catridges available for out to 1000 yards but the common denominator seems to be copious amounts of powder to propel the projectile. Nonetheless, I think it would be well worthwhile to talk to some of the folks who do such shooting on a regular basis to narrow down a specific caliber. There is a well established group in Pennsylvania (http://www.pa1000yard.com/) that shoots at 1000 yards and there are others that can be found using a Google search.

Hunting ranges depend on where you are at and what kind of cover the critters are in. I would also think about how much you would be carrying the rig and whether you would be packing out the meat by foot. I've personally long wanted to get a 12FV 308 but each year in the tree stand or stalking across the prairie reminds me why I enjoy using my Model 10 7-08 so much.

Safe shooting.

·
Registered
848 Posts
As far as hunting vs paper punching ranges go, I believe that the vast majority of eastern white tails are taken inside of 100 yards with many of them in the 50 or less range. For me, the hunting rifle would be a completely different rig from the long range target gun. I don't particularly want to carry a truck axel around in the woods when I can carry a light weight, short barrelled gun in one of the traditional hunting calibers.
(30-30, .243, .270, .308, 30-36, etc.)

I came across a deal on a 1964 vintage Rem 700 ADL in 30-06 with a 18" barrel on it a few years ago that I just love for carrying in the woods. I have to struggle with hand loads to get under 2" groups with it at 100yds, but my son and I have taken 3 deer with it so far inside of 50 yds. Frankly, for most people, for deer in eastern US, just about anything that will group less than 3" at 100yds is more than accurate enough. You don't really have to be able to decide which hairs on the critter you want to slide the bullet between to cleanly drop a deer.

All that being said, I'd still love to have one of those Savage 12FV's in .308 just to put little groups of holes in targets far enough away that I need to buy a new (better) spotting scope just to see that I did it!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Zerbe said:
I don't particularly want to carry a truck axel around in the woods
Great way of putting it .... about on the lines I was thinking.

FWIW - I agree with the two gun scenario. Nothing wrong with more guns. :twisted:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts