Looking for my first hand gun

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anonymous, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am wondering where to start the research process for buying my first handgun? Didn't know if there was any sites like this for handguns? Really have no idea where to start looking so any information or opinions would be helpful. What I am looking for:

9mm or .40
    300 to 700 dollars
    No particular brand at this point but open to suggestions
    Not looking to carry just have something to do some shooting with

2. grimel

grimel Guest

That's easy, a good 22lr. The best first and GP shooting handgun to be found.

Ruger, Colt, or S&W (an OLD one) in the revolvers. S&W, High Standard (old one), Ruger, Walther, or Sig in the autos.

3. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

i have a S&W 22A and it is great,very accurate, cleaning is really easy

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Guest,

Grimel gave you abot the best advice out there. Get youself a good 22 handgun. It's much cheaper to practice with, no recoil and just plain fun to shoot. If you plan on buying another handgun(larger caliber) later, then buy a 22 that is configured the same. I would suggest that you buy one with good,adjustable sights. You can spend as little or as much as you want and not top out at the $700 max that you listed.

HWD

5. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

you could also get a 1911 and there is a 22 conversion so you can shoot for cheap

6. grimel

grimel Guest

I missed the $300-700 range.

That's a Ruger 22 auto 45 grip (under $300) and a FM Browning HP clone ($300).

A S&W/Taurus 22 revolver ($200-400) and a used S&W 38spl (under $200).

7. izzybti

izzybti Guest

Hi guys... got registered on shooting world. I posted the origional question and thank you for your responses. I am a little hesitant about getting a .22. I do not have much experience with hand guns but I would like to have something with a little more versatility in case down the road I would like to carry. I am not ruling out anything, just my knee jerk reaction. Thanks again for your help... also if you have been on shotgun world I appologize for double posting. Thanks again

Izzybti

8. grimel

grimel Guest

Then let me be a bit more direct.

1) you don't have much experience.
    2) you (probably) aren't much of a pistol shot
    3) something CCW later isn't going to be the easiest thing to shoot and will have the most recoil. I (that'd be me) can carry a full size 1911 or S&W N frame concealed, but I spend the money for the right tools for the job.
    4) learning to shoot takes time and ammo. 22lr is orders of magnitude cheaper than the cheapest 9mm.
    5) there are more cheap accurate 22lr pistols than there are 9mm pistols.
    6) I gave you a combination that meets your $$ that covers both versatility and carryable pistols.
    7) carry guns aren't versitale (unless you spend the $$ on the tools to carry a 4" N frame or full size 10mm).
    8) other than big game hunting and CCW a 22lr does EVERYTHING that can be done with a pistol and does it cheaply.

Buy a 22 first. Learn to shoot well. Buy something more suitable for CCW and/or hunting. Keep the 22, you'll shoot it more. You'll shoot it better.

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

Shop around, and you ought to be able to find a used .22 wheelgun (Like a Ruger Single-six) and a brand new SP-101 (an ideal CCW gun - except you need to put the Hogue grips on it)in .357 Mag and still be under your $700 limit.

If this is your first handgun, I would STRONGLY recommend a revolver over an autoloader - they're simpler and safer. You may eventually decide that you don't need an autoloader after all (except a 1911.... EVERYBODY needs a 1911)

10. claycrusher

claycrusher Guest

11. izzybti

izzybti Guest

Well thank you for your input... hope I didn't offend by my lack of knowledge. I am not rushing out to buy anything right now so I will be able to look around and decide what I think will work out the best. I do appriciate all the comments

12. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

IZZY,

You ain't gonna offend us,less ya start talkin bad about our wives,dogs or trucks.

If you don't know something, the only way to get answers,is to ask questions. You'll find plenty of info over here and we're always ready to give advice ,opinions or just regular BS if that's what ya want.

See ya later

HWD

13. grimel

grimel Guest

Ask questions or remain ignorant. I'll answer questions all day and most of the night if need be. I'd rather deal with 200 variations of the same question and have a happy new shooter than answer the question as asked (ignoring important info) and have an unhappy new ex-shooter!

14. izzybti

izzybti Guest

Thanks a lot guys... I appriciate the help. It is nice to know help is available if I need it. You all are what has made shooting so much fun for me.

izzybti

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just my opinion but here goes.
    You can learn to shoot safely and proficiently with either of the guns you ORIGINALLY asked about. You can't do it as cheap though with the guns you mentioned. You can buy a ton of 9mm for not much money, and for not much more you can get 40's also. Neither of these guns have much recoil and there are several brands of these in your price range, but I can't speak on the quality. Get what you think will fill your needs and what feels comfortable. This will give you confidence in yourself and the hardware. My kids both shoot .45 ACP and .357 mags. They shoot them fairly well, all shots in the zone and they do it safely. Maybe you aren't as experienced but you can get the experience with what you want or what someone else thinks you need.

16. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Get a Ruger Single Six....old ones are better in my opinion, as I don't like the new loading system. But mine is a new one and I can live with it. It also has a 22 Mag cylinder that interchange. That 22 mag from a pistol is a hard shooter, and makes it a better home defense weapon.

You'll need a pistol that you can practice with. I used to shoot a brick of 22's a day, shooting in the woods and at the dump.

Many people can shoot a rifle well the first day out, but that's not true with a pistol. Takes practice.

You have to learn to focus on the sights and not on the target as you tend to do with a rifle. Shoot two handed at first. Shoot with both eyes open. Shoot at something that bounces, like a coke can; it's more fun that just putting holes in a target.

So don't fiddle with a high powered pistol, as the ammo is expensive. After you are good at it go ahead and buy the revolver or a Colt 1911; but I'd suggest a Ruger Blackhawk.

You can buy pretty good pistols at pawn shops, cheap. The reason is that most people can't hit the broad side of a barn with them...so they take a few shots, give up; and hock the thing.

17. grimel

grimel Guest

This is the whole reason for buying a 22lr first. Regardless of what anyone has to say the el cheapo 9mm is $50 for 500 plus shipping. Every Walmart/Kmart/etc has 500 (or 550) 22lr for $10 or less. $50 for 500 9mm is crap. It shoots for crap. It's hard to develop the skill to hit a baseball at 25yds when your ammo won't shoot smaller than a softball. $10 for 500 (or 550) 22lr is good for squirrel head shots out to 50yds (might have to try several of the brands) - that's ping pong ball size groups.

A $500 Glock 9mm is fairly representative of it's class. Without work it's going to shoot 3" (or more) groups at 25yds with good ammo.

Pick your Ruger/Sig/Walther/S&W 22 Auto pistol bull barrel for $300. With good ammo, it's capable of popping quarters at 50yds. Ruger Single Six? Slightly bigger. S&W revolver? About like a Single Six. Taurus revolver? same same.

Just a bit of shopping gets a good police trade in Glock 9mm and a nice new 22lr auto for just under $700.

18. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

My Ruger Single Six shoots pretty darned straight, but I do think that my Ruger Mk II shoots a little better. But it's a pain to jam those little bullets into that magazine. The revolver is easier to load and it's also easier to teach gun safety with one.

Sure autos are fine, and I own a bunch, but I like revolvers better; in general. I also like that 22 mag cylinder in the Single Six for home defense. Sure a .45 is better, but I'd sure hate to be hit with one of those 22 mags.

19. grimel

grimel Guest

Buy a mag loader. The best $5-10 you'll spend.

20. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Good idea.