Lost one on Saturday

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by huntswithdogs, Dec 5, 2005.

1. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Saturday morning turned out very cloudy and "shooting light" just wasn't what it normally is. Kinda dim and fuzzy. I saw a deer angling across a field around 300yds from me. He was on A piece of property hooked to where I hunt that I have yet to gain access to. One toot on my grunt call turned him in my direction. I lost sight of him in a fence row that grown up with honeysuckle. After watching closely for 20 minutes and not seeing him again, I went back to scanning in other direction. I caught movement over my right shoulder and there he stood. Large body with a smaller rack. Probably a 2 year old buck. What I didn't see through the scope when I pulled the trigger,was the cedar he was standing behind. He blended real well with it and I found out that a 180gr bullet will not penetrate a tree of this size.

At the shot he jumped and ran around the hillside. I could tell from the way he acted that something was amiss. I also knew that the sound was funny. That WHACK! just didn't sound right. As I was trying to figure what had happened,here he came back around the hill side. Not really shook up or nervous, just looking! Well, I let him get to within 75 yds. I whistled, he stopped,I shot. The buck hit the ground kicking and was immediately back up and running away. Tail down and tucked.
    I went over to where he'd been standing and found blood and bits of bone. I waited about 25 minutes before setting off in search of my deer.

Here's where the problems started. He ran right on to another piece of private property. I crossed the fence after unloading my rifle. As always, this deer decided to get into some of the thickest stuff he could find. I'm getting worried because if this deer was hit as hard as he acted,he shouldn't have gone this far,this fast. While trying to get untangled from another batch of "tanglefoot briars",I tripped and started cussing,LOUDLY. A deer came up off the ground not 50 yds in front of me and got lost in the thick stuff quickly. When I got to where it had lain,there was blood all over the place."My deer" was off and gone again.
    BOOOOMMMM! down the hollow from me. I decided to back off and get in touch with the leasors of the prpoerty that I was on. They were parked less than a 1/2 mile down the road ,so I went down to tell them about the deer. I figured if they'd shot him...good for them,I'd go back to trying to fill my tag. If not, I'd get premission to continue my search for the wounded deer. The young man that I spoke with tod me that he had 2 down.When I explained about the wounded deer,he gave me the go ahead to find it. When I told him what it was his story kinda changed.It went from 2 deer to just "a spike". When I got back to the area where I'd been looking for the lost deer I heard the truck leaving from down the road. The blood trail went with in site of his tree stand before I lost it. By now the whole day is done.

Oh well........ I hope he enjoys it. I just wish he'd had the brass to tell me "yeah, I shot a limping deer just a while ago". I would have thanked him. Maybe he thought that I'd take it from him? Any way I'll be back out there this weekend. Hopefully I'll get lucky.The ole 243 is coming out of the closet!

Sorry if this was too long. I just needed to vent some!

HWD

2. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

:x Daddangit, Robert, doesn't anyone in the woods have class anymore? I am sorry to hear of the loss, but at least you know the deer was put down. You noted he acted funny at thed first shot afterwards, did you get a chunk of bullet in him before tghe 2nd shot got him when he returned? Sounds like he had a lot of adrelene going to keep on keeping on. But lo, to shoot a fella's deer (understood to put out of misery) but not to give it to him, or to own up to doing it is just not classy. :evil: :evil: :evil:

TAB

PS, what caliber???

3. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Class in the woods.It would be nice if everyone had it.I've had problems like this before. The hunting club next to the one I was a member of thought that they had a 50 yard buffer zone after passiong our NO TRESPASSING signs.We ended up having to call the game wardon, and the idiots still tried it.I hate to say this because I do not want to give the wrong impression of myself, but wee had to go and break out a can of yup --- on them. they ended up losing there lease because of it.
    There are still more great hunters than slobs..

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

If they can't run the animals down on 4 wheelers to the sound of rock music, just like on the BS 1/2 hour cable TV shows, I guess it isn't hunting anymore. These stinking shows are developing the very mindset that you observed in action. :evil:

Now, I'm no angel by any stretch of the imagination, but TV, Movies,and Video Games are destroying our culture and making the next generation a bunch of violent, selfish, arrogent, and unprincipled morons. :x :(

The show I hate the most is the competition type hunting show. :evil: :evil: All Class has gone out of our sport, and it is now a kill-fest. True Sportsmen need to organize and lobby for reforms in our land use and hunting laws! We will kill the goose and have nothing to show for it if we continue to let these trends continue. The "antis" are watching with glee... :?

This may sound like going off track for the topic at hand, but it is the core of why these things happen. :idea:

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Thomas,
    It was my Encore with the 300WM barrel. Makes me feel bad cause the only other deer that I've ever lost was shot with another 300. Oh well,I've still got until the first Sat. in Jan.

Guys,
    Class is something that seems to being bred out of our culture. Folks just aren't raising their kids like I was.

I agree with on that one Luv2,
    Most of the shows now days only show ya the really big/good stuff. Why not do a show where all they shoot for a while is Does? Why not show a bunch of guys/gals getting together for a rabbit hunt? Not showy enough I reckon.

HWD

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

That makes me glad I grew up when I did,we didn't have as much trouble as now,someone accidentally getting shot was rare and you could approach anyone in the woods and have a good visit before parting to hunt.Land owners gladly let you hunt unless they had cows out and some would open a rye grass field just to move the cows and let me duck hunt by their ponds,I miss those days and feel the way l2s expressed it is mornfully correct,the young hunters will never know the freedom of the outdoors as older ones have and I feel like I lost a good friend when I talk about my young hunting days,money came hard but good health and a good hunt was the life.I visit with ethical hunters on this site but feel its a dying breed.I'm having a glass of merlot right now and give a toast"To the ethical hunter"Drop-Shot

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

DS, I understand what you are saying,but I and many other hunters are doing our part to teach this younger generation of hunters how to be good responsible sportsman. I too have seen others who show no respect for anything,and when my son is there with me to see it I let him know why this is wrong.He is the type that will tell others also.There are many hunting fathers that have families that I know do the same.Its a cycle I wished everyone followed

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

You have the best idea and I can tell from hearing from you for a long time you do that,I passed it on to my kids and can only hope the other guy hunting the next meadow over from me has "class" and "ethics" also,I can say I have met alot of young folks that seem to care and carry the sport well so I shouldn't feel all is lost.I bet there are alot of good ethical young men and wemon to 1 unethical hunter.It just makes me sad to hear stories about people losing dignity over the life of an animal.I can't count the times I finished a deer off so the person trailing them can achieve their goal,I owed it to the deer and the person that hunted that animal and shot it first to do that.Drop-Shot

9. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

well said Drop.
    And lo, not always a dying breed, in many a small town in America, I have experienced seeing ethical hunts, and met some nice folk. I'm only 30, and I'll be teaching as many as I can to do it right, like my daddy taught me.

TxVa

10. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

TXVAshooter your right,what I should do is volunteer to teach Hunter Saftey courses,that way I could be more involved and make sue I can try to pass on class and ethics to others that are open minded.All I have to do is take a class myself,and it wouldn't interfere with hunting seasons as they stop the courses 1 month before the season begins.Good thought.Drop-Shot