Low budget deer rig

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by jkvirginia, Feb 9, 2005.

1. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

I have a project gun I'm pondering, and am curious for your input.

A local shop near me carries a lot of surplus guns, including carbine-length Mosin-Nagants (m48, IIRC)and Czech mausers in the K98-type configuration (think it's called a Vz24, but I'm not as up on my surplus terminology)

I've been told both the 7.62x54 and the 8mm Mauser are ballistically in the neighborhood of the.30-06. That being the case, I'm pondering rigging one of these ol' beasts up with a scope mount and a decent, inexpensive 3x9 scope for deer season, as a beater rifle (something I don't care if it gets banged up, scratched, dropped, etc). Any thoughts on whether one or the other of these would be better suited, for whatever reason?

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

JK,
    I know guys who hunt with these every year. If you want to mount a scope,you'll have to have the reciever drilled and tapped. You'll also have to have the bolt bent just a bit to clear the scope. Also remember that these things are HEAVY! While they make the perfect beater. Accuracy is usaully in the 2 inch range at 100 yds,but that minute of deer and either the 7 or 8mm will put a deer down for good. Let us know what happens.

HWD

3. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

JK,

Both cartridges are similar and a deer is not going to complain if you use either one. Neither is what I would call "a reach out and touch a deer" in the distance category but at typical ranges they got plenty of pep to do the job. I think you might want to do a cost comparison of how much the work that h w/dogs mentioned is going to cost. Also I'd look into what rings would fit the profile of each different rifle to make sure standard rings are available.

If you are DIY then the project costs would be lower but if a smith is going to do the work, it might well be cheaper to go with a used sporter. But what the heck, ya can never have too many firearms and if nothing else, having one or better yet both the Moisin and Mauser for plinking at the range would be fun. A lot of guys shoot these at the range I frequent and I am thinking that I am missing out on some of the fun.

Safe shooting.

4. goose

goose Guest

the mosins come with a descent site on them and for the effective range that sight will do pretty good for ya unless you just have to have a scope.

as far as preferences go though i would take the mauser over the negant any day

just a preference though and honestly i think they are more accurate and have a little more range .

this also varies greatly if you are handloading versus military cheap ammo.

first thing i would do is check some bullistics dats to substantiate which one is beter bulisticaly

the negant by all rights is a 30 cal so the different slugs available are to numerous to count.
    from large game solids down to varmint rounds

the 8 mm is a .323 which is not as redily available.

since the new introduction of the winchester 325 short mag that may change though.
    the 325 short mag is running a .323 ball and numerous bullet manufacturers are now picking up thier feet on the round so the available loads may have a stronger following soon enough on the 8 mm.

i know barnes and federal among many other are seling them already

the barnes tripple shocks for the 8mm are only available in 180 grain boattails at this time though.

if you plan on hand loading this is also something to take into consideration

if you do not plan on hand loading then you will want to see what ammo is redily available for hunting rounds

loard knows you would not want to use fmj's on a deer

the mosin negant ammo though does sell for about 10 cents a shot for military surplus non reloadable 150 grain fmj's

5. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

I'm leaning heavily towards the Mauser myself, for several reasons.

1st, I can get one with a bent bolt, saving a bit of money on the gunsmithing bill. My local shop will do drill-tap for 20 a hole, so I'd be looking at roughly 65 bucks all told for the scope mount. The Mosin-Nagant would run me about 75 for a scout-scope type mount.

2nd, being as I don't reload, my local ammo store stocks Remmy Core-Lokts for a reasonable price, and my experience has been that this bullet, while nothing fancy, will anchor a deer pretty effectively.

3rd. I just find the Mosins plug ugly.

The only real advantage to the Nagant is that it can be had for about 1/3 less from what I've seen.

I've been eyeballing the Mojo-sights for this project as well, as either an adjunct to, or substitute for, a scope. Anyone used these? Seems to be a double peep/ghost ring type arrangement.

6. grimel

grimel Guest

You NEED a Shotgun News before you start this project. Without looking it all up 98 Mauser stock (with scope mount - no tap) is $80 plus shipping.

The M-N sporter stock is $50, scope mount $40.

7. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

Grimel,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into that. As HWD pointed out, with all the stock wood and metal, these beasts are hefty! A sporter-type synthetic stock might get the weight down to a more manageable level.

8. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

[​IMG]
    this is the stock grimel was talking about, it think[/img]

9. grimel

grimel Guest

10. goose

goose Guest

fyi you can pick up numerous items on ebay really cheap for either of these particular riffles.

the typical synthetic stocks run 60 to 80

i found a delux mark 5 weatherby wood stock i picked up for my fibremark for 65.

the synthetic stock do not go anywhere near as high as a dulux grade wood stock for a weatherby.

as far as the scope mount scout style for the negants they go for about 50 to 60 on ebay with the scope included.

the scope is a cheap p.o.s. ncstar generic scope but basically it would be free if you were planning on spending more to begin with for just the mount.

personal opinion though ...if the mauser already has a bent bolt i would not think twice...

i love mausers .

very well built,very ruged and for the most part reliable as heck

not to mention upgrades are more redily available.

shop around for inexpensive upgrades first.

keep in mind though if you want something cheep stick to something cheep

if your going to spend the money to upgrade it and so on.

find a used gun show or store selling used guns and pick up a used firearm for the same price that is already done or posibly even better.

after all we are talking about
    just my opinion

11. jkvirginia

jkvirginia Guest

FYI, the Yugo M48 mausers that are dirt-common on the market now are commonly found with a bent bolt as purchased. That ATI stock is prolly a good setup, but man, talk about UGLY! lol

Being in northern Virginia, where most of the deer hunting is woodsy and short-ranged, I don't need 300 win mag class reach--I could prolly make do with a .30-30 for most shooting, but I like the little extra reach and clout of something in a .308 or .30-06 class, just in case.