Making your own bullet molds

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The_Cook, Sep 9, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Eh, topic title is pretty self explanitory.

Anyone do it? heard of it? knew a friend who had a friend that done it?

Just want to know =)

2. Maser

Maser Super Member

iv heard of it but never done it :roll:

what u do is clamp to pieces of wood together n then drill a hole the same size as the bore of the bore of ur gun in the spot where the 2 halves come together n then jus pour the molten lead in it

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Sounds cheap and easy enough, I have a friend with a drill press.

When I have the time I'll run down to Home Depot and gets some blocks. I'll post results when I get em =)

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Making molds is not this simple. Pure lead starts to melt at 620 degrees fahrenheit and most of the time the temps are a closer to 700 to facilitate the flow to all parts of the mold. The problem is wood begins to burn at the 650 degree mark making wood a poor choice of material. Using a drill bit also leaves a lot to be desired regarding bullet shape and one would have to calculate how deep to make the "hole" to roughly get the proper bullet weight. Using a drill bit would basically get you a wadcutter nose design which may or may not be what you are looking for. One would also have to have pretty accurate measuring equipment as being off "just a hair" may make removing bullets very difficult as they would stick to the larger side of the mold. With molds running as little as $20 new for a Lee, one would be hard pressed to make one that works as well for less.

5. Maser

Maser Super Member

true wood does start to burn at that temp but thats also why u only use pure lead n not alloy cuz some alloys gotta be 1000 degrees to melt but anyways yea the wood does burn n the wooden molds dont last long but from what i heard is that when the wood does start to burn the carbon it leaves behind makes the bullet more smooth n easyier to remove but hey i will never need to use this method cuz i got 1 of those lee molds in .451 caliber that i used when i used to own a black powder revolver