Man, I can't help myself

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 8pointduck, Oct 30, 2005.

1. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Well, I did it again. That weakness hit me like a recking ball. I done bought me a BLR in 358 win. . It was there on the rack calling my name. I tried to resist saying no , but the temptation was too strong. Now I have to get some new dies,powder cases and bullets. OK Drop, tell me some good loads to create for this monster. You know this is your fault don't you. :)

2. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I really like the 358. I have one in a Savage 99. It shoots well. It also has some recoil to it. I had to get a different scope with a longer ey relief. :wink:

I am shooting a 46 gr. of IMR-4895 and a Hornady 200 gr. SP. I also shoot the same bullet with a 45gr. load of H335. Your rifle may like something different, but I would suggest shooting your starting loads with a 200gr. bullet at 2400 or less and work up from there. 2500 seems to be max load anyway.

Have fun and congratulations!:D

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

You done scared me at first, I have my eye on a similar gun that I hope is still at the store. I saw it nearly two weeks ago but did not have the funds to buy it outright. I have a couple of trade guns that I will bring with me tomorrow in hopes the gun is still there. I have no earthly need for this gun, I just wish to own one and am willing to turn over some "inventory" to do so.

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

i feel ya U dog. I couldn't keep my hands off of it. Lever that IMR load looks pretty good to me. Do you get good accuracy with it?

5. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I need to bed my barrel but here is what i have so far:
    H335 loads
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMR-4895 load. The target is labeled wrong. It should say 46gr. See how two shot are high and three shots are low? that is how i know I need to be my barrel. I did that three times that day. So I know the load shoots better than me and the rifle at this time. There is some slop in the fore end that I need to take care of. But either way, the total group is stil at 2" and plenty good enough for hunting seaosn. After hunting season I am going to refinish the wood and bed the barrel to the fore end. That should take care of it. :wink:
    [​IMG]

6. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

PS
    I really think the H335 is a better load, but I ran out of powder right before season and the only local shop ran out as well. So I tried the IMR 4895 and it was real close to the same and a little less recoil. Even though the groups are a tad larger, over all they shot more consistent then the H335. I will be playing with it more after season.

7. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

There looking pretty good to me. I am partial to both Hogdon and IMR. I am starting to try my hand with Alliant also. I use to use there powders for shotgun, but all there makes atr the time were rather dirty.

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Thanks for the load data, I have plenty of H-335 on hand for use with the 30/30 so I guess I'll start there. Oh yeah, the gun should come in either tomorrow (Wednesday) or the next. I almost didn't get it, another was looking at it when I called and since the salesman who answered knows me as a good customer, he "pressured" the looker and the guy decided to not purchase the gun. It will cost me a Beretta 390 Sporting and a slug barrel for a Mossberg 835 which I think is a great trade. I don't think it will make the Minnesota deer season but maybe the Wisconsin one. Otherwise it will have to wait for bear season next year to get blooded.

9. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Re: re: Man, I can't help myself

Keep in mind that Hogden bought the powder market from dupont and owns IMR powder. Those two powders hae always been real similar anyway and you can usually substitute a IMR powder with a Hogden. Hogden is usually a little hotter so back off the load a tad, but real close.

Uglyguy, :D

Keep us up to date on your progress and good luck. Hopefullly you can take it out this season! :wink:

10. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Yea, I know about the buy out. I think they are keeping the two seperate. I know that all my loading manuals say not to switch data and powders. I have used both brand names for years and have had good luck with them. I am always willing to try something else to see what results I can achieve.

11. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

NO! You can not switch load data, the powders are not the same. But you can use each other as references and come up with something close.

Yes, they are keeping the powders seperate. I like that. I use both powders regularly.

12. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I picked up my BLR this afternoon and just finished putting a scope on it. The front sight got knocked off and lost some time during shipping. The shipper is picking up the tab and I should have a new front in a week or so. I have some time tomorrow morning to sight in the gun and I hope to take it with for the opener this weekend. With any luck I'll be able to down a couple of deer early and then use the rest of my time off to get some outside chores done before winter (as if that really would happen but hey, everyone needs a fantasy). it will be a fairly odd asortment of guns I'm bringing with, the BLR in .358 Win, a Remington M-8 in .35 Rem, a Valmet O/U in 7x57R, and a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. The two .35s will be my main guns as I haven't blooded them yet but I would like to get a deer with each of the others too.
    Oh yeah, ammo is pretty pricey, at $28 a box they are even more than the .375 H&H which I get for no more than $26 a box. I can see more dies in the near future.

13. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

I had a guy ask me once, what was the advatage to reloading when you can get good groups from a factory box of shells?

First off I told him that no factory shells will shoot the groups I like to shoot.

Second I told him that as much as I like to shoot, I can not afford to buy factory ammo.

So the bottom line is, if I reload, I get better and more consistent groups and get to shoot more at an affordable price.

Sounds good to me! :D

14. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I like the gun though it does not like having the barrel heat up in any way. The first shot goes where aimed but the next ones walk up the target about an 1"-1 1/2" each time. One needs to let the barrel sit for around 3 minutes between shots to keep it from walking off the target. This made for a much longer sight in period than I planned and was the reason the lawn did not get its final mowing of the year today. It might rain so the next mowing may not be until next spring, darn! Accuracy is good enough that I feel confident with it at the 50 yard mark which is about as far a shot as I'll get at my favorite stand. I'm guessing the barrel band has smoething to do with this and I'll have a fun time figuring it out next summer.

15. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Sounds like you are going to have to bed that barrel.

16. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

8point I can't believe I missed this thread,glad to share some reloading info.Right now I'm getting a fair group at a little over 1 inch for 3 shot groups,the first 2 shots touch and the 3rd shot goes a little high,still a little over 1 inch.My latest loads are a 200 gr hornady and 38.6 gr of reloader#7,thats my hunting load.I have also tried reloader 15,45 gr and 250 gr hornady spire point and had good accuracy,velocity is a little over 2300 fps.Don't get caught up in super high velocity,I watched a man with a Parker Hale shoot through a 4 inch schedual 40 pipe at 200 yards with the 358 win,he said,and I agree that the 35 cal carrys so much momentum that it does not need hyper velocity to shoot through an animal.He has hunted Alaska brown bear(Grizz)and took a trophy with 250 gr hornady and a moose that he don't have a big enough room to put it in with a 225 gr partition,2 nice caribu and a trophy Wyoming 6x5 elk.Thats not counting all the local elk and muleys.Its one of the best calibers most folks will never hear about due to the slow speeds,some how that scares some folks away.Let me know how yours shoots,I loaded some 225 gr sierra game kings but am not happy with that bullet.Keep in touch buddy.Drop-Shot

17. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Faster velocities is not real good for expantion anyway. Especially if you think you might take a shot at 100 yards or less. I am shooting right about 23-2400 with the 200 gr and I may slow it down it tad more after season. :wink:

18. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

What bullet do you use lever?Drop-Shot

19. Levergun

Levergun Super Member

Same as you. 200 gr. hornady SP. I tried the 250 gr. but my brush gun doesn't seem to like them as much. I think I would need to slow it down well below 2300 FPS.

The 200gr. like it around 23-2400fps. What I need to do is get me a Cronograph. that way I would know for sure. I am going by multiple load data and rifles. Looking at the load data that has the same barrel length as mine. Then just dedeucing the loads and speeds. That is why I can not give you an exact FPS for my loads.

On a different note, I have tried RN and they are ok too, (I need to work on them) but I didn't spend the time becasue the ballistics of a sp Vs the RN were so much better and the sp shot better right off the bat, that I didn't mess with it.

20. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Looking over my gun a couple nights ago, I noticed the forearm on the right side contacts the barrel while the left side has plenty of clearance. I guess I have a project this winter, first I'll relieve some wood from the fore end and then later bed it if necessary. I didn't get a deer with the gun this year, I had enough doubts that I left the gun in the cabin. The old M-* in .35 Rem did take a nice doe and the Valmet took two more, one which was for the local food shelf. I still have one doe tag and a buck tag left with three half days and and three full days left for me to hunt in the regular firearms season. With the seeming scarcity of bucks of any sort that tag may be a bit hard to fill.