Mannlicher full stock rifles

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by alexanderplatz, Nov 26, 2005.

1. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Guest

[​IMG]

I've been shooting a couple of inexpensive mil. surplus rifles for a few years (an 8 mm Mauser and an SKS) and am starting to think about saving up to buy a new rifle. I love the look of the Mannlicher stock rifles. Besides the actual Steyr Mannlicher brand rifles, I know that CZ sells them (CZ 550), and Remington offers a Model 7 with a Mannlicher stock through their custom shop (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/custom_shop/seven/model_seven_MS.asp).

Are there any other companies that make similar rifles? Anyone have an opinion on any of the above they'd like to share? (Especially on the CZ 550 since they're the most affordable ones I've seen.)

2. wired

wired Guest

My next rifle is actually going to be one of those 550FS in 6.5 Swede. I've got 2 of CZ's rimfire rifles (one of which has the full-length stock), and I'm sold on their products now.

Ruger also makes the M77 and the #1 with full-length stocks, the last I checked. I can't remember if Winchester stepped up to the plate with one yet or not.

3. john humphries

john humphries Guest

I really like the Ruger International, but would sure like to know more about any modern 6.5x55 swede chambered rifle.

John.

4. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: Mannlicher full stock rifles

CZ, Winchester, and several others. Just start hitting the manufacturer websites, and you'll start to bump into the Swede.

5. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I too, have an affinity towards Mannlicher stocks but so far have only owned on and that was a Ruger 10/22 International that I foolishly let go to someone who wanted way more than I did. There is a Ruger 77 International in .308 at one of the shops I frequent but I'll ahve to come up with some trading materials as it is too close to Christmas for me to actuall pay out money (buying a new pistol before seeing this gun didn't help much either).

6. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Don't they look good! I can't have one . They ned to make one for us lefty's

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The Mannlicher stocked rifles are not as accurate, as a whole, as are properly bedded conventional rifles. BUT, they sure are CLASSIC LOOKING :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D . I had one many years ago, a MS in 243 with a DS trigger. Knucklehead that I am at times :oops: , I let it go to buy a Weatherby...shhhh...please don't tell on me... :oops:

8. wired

wired Guest

Don't CZ's full-length stock rifles actually have free-floated barrels? The 452 does, at least. Unless you're squeezing the stock around the barrel, there's no contact (at least there isn't in mine). I might have to see if the barrel is floated in the 550FS before I buy one :shock: .

9. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

What is touching near the muzzle? A slight moisture warp can be magnified greatly, the longer the piece of wood sticking out. True full length stocks have never been known to help accuracy, just compromise it.

I do love a nicely done full length stocked rifle, however, but I recognize the down side, too. And, some designs are better than others. I would never tell anyone not to get one...they have Class!!!!!

10. wired

wired Guest

It's not even touching at the muzzle on mine. It's pretty dang close, but it's not touching. You do have a point, though. In different temperatures and humidity, I'm sure it might contact at some point. All I know is that it turns out good groups that I'd consider "minute-of-squirrel".

11. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

I have a CZ 550 FS in 7X64 Brenneke. If it is representative of how full stock rifles shoot you do not have to worry about accuracy. Mine is every bit as accurate as other rifles. The only other commet that I would make is that the comb is a little low for me when shooting from the bench. Off hand, it is not a problem.

12. wired

wired Guest

Update: my 550FS got ordered in and showed up the other day. Got to play with it today. Looked at the small target where they sighted it at the factory. Not all that pretty. The guys in the shop started making comments about how much the guy had drank beforehand. At the range that they do it, a monkey could have gotten better groups. It'll be nice to see how much tighter I can get the groups.

Overall, I was very impressed with it, and can't wait for it to be in my safe.