Marlin .45/.70

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by RedRyder21, Jan 20, 2005.

1. RedRyder21

RedRyder21 Guest

I found a brand new mint condition Marlin .45/70 stainless for $525.... 18 or 20 inch barrel I belive.

My question is,,,,, is this a good price?

I can't find prices on the Marlin web-site and I can't trust an auction site since they are bid's and not the actual MSRP...

2. [Smoke]

[Smoke] Active Member

I was always told to take off 10% from the MSRP. I picked up my Marlin 45-70 1895gs for $479 from Dicks Sporting Goods. If it was a good price I have no idea, but I sure do love it regardless.

3. [Smoke]

[Smoke] Active Member

Dicks Sporting Goods.

Thats funny! :lol:

4. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Is it a good price? Sometimes you pay a little more than you want for a gun. But if you really want the gun, you forget about the price of the gun after a while.

I've also passed up guns that I thought were a little to pricey only to never find another again, and in retrospect I wished like mad that I have bought it when I could.

The price isn't WAY out of line. Go ahead and buy it. You can look up it's new price on Marlin's web sight I think. So you might try that.

5. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Is the 45/70 overpowered for deer hunting? Sort of depends how you load the thing. There round has plenty of latitude when you reload. If you don't reload guy trapdoor loads.

That bullet doesn't have that much hydrostatic shock. I think it's finefor deer. Also bears, moose and mice.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey logjam,it's been awhile since I spoke to you,I read an article the other day and while re-reading these posts it seems pertinant to bring it up.The article said the numbers that we have on paper about velocity and energy for a given cartridge is not the whole story,only a guide line.He mentioned the 45/70,the new high energy rounds will approach the low end of a 458 win mag and can shoot through a buffalo,but the old black powder did the same thing only a little less.Tons of buffalo meat has been taken with these mild loads.They spoke of the 35 remington and the numbers didn't look too good but it was one of the killingest cartridges ever developed.I bought a BLR in 358 and the numbers don't look so great,but old timers that used that round were never without meat.The direct quote was "That cartridge kills all out of proportions to it's size"he farther said that he had no idea that we could let a great cartdrige die out.My quote is it's not dead only wounded,browning still chambers the BLR 358 win for that great cartridge.He further mentioned the 35 Whelen,the numbers are not impressive but it kills impressively.I think of rounds like the 32 win special,35 remington and 30-30,numbers are not great but these (few of many)killed very well for more years that alot of us were alive.He mentioned a few other cartridges with the same context.I now plan on pulling the bullets on most rounds I loaded and load slower bullets in 45/70,a fast bullet spends little time in an animal and does well as we know it.but the big slow calibers spend more time tearing up important parts.I now have a new outlook on the 35 remington, 358 win,35 Whelen and the 45/70,all don't look impressive but has and will get the job done.I'm in the reloading room again.Drop-Shot