Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I have just aquired a Marlin 983S and would like to know what kind of accuracy I can expect out of it (My range is only 100 yards long) also, what is the best scope to use on it, and what is the best ammo to use. All responses are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've got a 982 and find Remington 40 gr hollow points group about the best though I used the soft points the most. The worst have been the Winchester Dynapoints which isn't suprising as they are the cheapest. I've been using the Federal 50 gr HP lately and am pretty satisfied so far. Rimfires can be fussy with the ammo and it is best to get several brands and types to try. When you find one that is the best, go back and buy as much of that lot as you can afford. When you run out you may have to do this all over again. I use my gun mainly for predators up to the size of a coyote and keep the range to 100 yards max. I would much prefer a more powerful gun but conditions sometimes conspire against it. I feel most comfortable using it this time of year as we have a good snow base which makes tracking simple. My gun is currently wearing an old Tasco World Class Plus 3x9x40 scope. This works well for me as it picks up enough light for near dark shooting in the snow. Sorry I can't give any definitive answer but with rimfires there isn't one.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've had a 983S and was well pleased with it. It never really shot anything exceptionally well but shot 2-6" at 100yds pretty consistently which was plenty good enough for me. I used the gun for rural varmint control on groundhogs and such, never tried it on a coyote but I'd opt for something larger personally. My one big harp about that rifle was its fairly dismal trigger action. I've noticed Marlin now markets its T900 trigger action but I've not fooled with one; hopefully yours has it and its an improvement. As for trying ammo, I always had good success with the CCI Maxi Mag on the 22 WMF but two identical rifles won't like the same thing. I wouldn't expect stellar accuracy but if you get it be happy. I loved the 983 and parted with it in hopes of getting a Ruger 77/22WMF but never seemed to get around to it. Another one of those "wish I hadn't" moments...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a Marlin 883 22mag (prior model to the 983) and mine is VERY accurate- 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. I've only used CCI Maximags and Federal's- both in 40 gr HP or solids- they both shoot accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.