Marlin bolt action opinions

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by NewtoSkeet, Dec 28, 2004.

1. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

I just got an 8 gun cabinet for Christmas, for one one gun, so am starting the research for another. Everybody needs a .22 rimfire, I like bolt action and I think Marlins are a great value. Does anyone have a model 981T or model 925, and if so, what is your honest opinion? Intended use is plinking, casual target and maybe some varmint control; squirrels, woodchucks and maybe a coyote if they get too bold.

Thanks in advance

2. NewtoSkeet

NewtoSkeet Guest

Went to the store and handled a 981T. Too light and cheesy open sights. I am now thinking towards the 980V, more weight and no sights to mess up the lines. Or I may just go for an autoloader for the fun factor; any opinions on the Remington 597? I likes the looks of it.

3. The Marlin Model 60 is a great gun if you want to consider a semi-auto. It usually is around $100 at Wal-Mart.

4. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

I bought my dad a Remington 597 in .22 Mag. Great gun. He can not put the thing done. It is a bit tricky getting the mag apart and back together with the double springs on the bolt slides. But it shoots great. Volquartsen makes a target hammer for it, highly recommended. Drops the trigger weight down to a crisp 2.5 - 3.5 lbs pull. The only thing I suggest is if you get the .22 Mag or .17 HMR only load 5 rounds in the clips. Anymore and the clip binds up.

5. dinengurth

dinengurth Guest

I second the marlin model 60. Bought one 12/24 at Academy and got a free aluminum case($55) for $100. Only shot 250rds through it so far, but it's a great little rifle. Biggest things I like about it are its simple design and feel. Being pretty accurate doesn't hurt either.

take it easy

6. grimel

grimel Guest

Being around just short of forever they've managed to get all the bugs worked out of the 60.

My dad has a 597. Great little cheap 22.

You might want to consider the Savage 22's. From what I can tell they are the same as the Marlin's at a slightly lower price.

7. dinengurth

dinengurth Guest

savage .22s

Friend of mine bought a bolt action savage. It's a good shooter, but I don't like how the synthetic stock feels, or how the mag juts out from the bottom.

take it easy

8. grimel

grimel Guest

I'm looking at gettng a wood stocked Savage LH. All the non Ruger 10/22 mags just jut out ruining the lines. I hate tube mags though, so I'll live with it.

9. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

I have a Marlin 883 bolt action 22WMR. Nice rifle- not super nice, but nice enough. It has pressed checkering (that doesn't look so good), and some of the inletting on the stock isn't milimeter perfect, but hey- it cost me $150. Besides that it shoots great, functions perfectly, and overall it looks pretty nice- real walnut stock with decent blueing.

I also have a marlin model 60- laminated w/ stainless barrel. Love that gun- super accurate and very reliable. Only had one feed problem- with Reminghton Golden Bullets. That gold gunk they put on the bullet gums up the works. Now that's a sharp looking rifle. I stripped off the sights, and put a silver 3x9 scope up top. Has the heft and feel of a big game rifle.

10. stimpylu32

stimpylu32 Guest

I have a 81ts that i just love for hunting tree rats and general plunking . it shoots just about anything i feed it at 1in or less at 50 yards , does the best with CCI Stingers and Remington golden bullets . both at just over 1/2in at 50 .

Would not trade it for anything , to good a gun .

11. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just gotta tell this!!! Fella I know spent a gazillion bucks sexing up a Rugie 10/22. I got him onto an ancient Marlin bolt action with some gosh-awful peep sight on it this weekend... his second group (target grade ammo) beat the BEST he ever shot with the Ruger! And he's got $30.00 in the Marlin. He's happy and sick...all at the same time. :lol:
    ///olde 8) pharte///

12. dugasgunner

dugasgunner New Member