Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
681 Posts
Any local gun shop worth its salt should have a couple. My local one always has some Mosin Nagants in some variation on hand. They had M44s for the longest time, then they started carrying the M91/30s pretty regularly. Now they've been getting M38s in. I haven't gotten one of the M38s yet, but I've got an M44 and two of the M91/30s. Don't have one yet? You need one. They rock. I don't really think they recoil all that bad (though I'm used to a .308, which is similar). I like the fireballs that the shorter variants shoot, too. Always a headturner at the range.

· Registered
681 Posts
The Mosin Nagant variations fire the 7.62X54R. The bore diameter of the Russian and most of the european makes is .311, but the Finnish models normally have a .308 bore. The cartridge is ballistically similar to the .308, so that should tell you what game you can hunt with it, given proper bullets. I haven't seen too many good hunting bullets in .311, other than some soft points.

Check out www.russian-mosin-nagant.com and 7.62x54r.net.

· Registered
5 Posts
583 said:
Does anybody know of any companies that sell old mosin nagant rifles? if so do they have a link on the net any help would be nice thanx
Big 5 Sporting goods have them on sale every month or so for $79.95. I gave one to my son for his birthday last October. It's an absolute Tack Driver. Put an Advanced Technology® Stock, bent bolt, and scope mount on it. Great gun at a great price! :mrgreen:

· Registered
258 Posts
Re: re: Mosin Nogant

wired said:
The Mosin Nagant variations fire the 7.62X54R. The bore diameter of the Russian and most of the european makes is .311, but the Finnish models normally have a .308 bore. The cartridge is ballistically similar to the .308, so that should tell you what game you can hunt with it, given proper bullets. I haven't seen too many good hunting bullets in .311, other than some soft points.

Check out www.russian-mosin-nagant.com and 7.62x54r.net.
Thanks Wired, very informative.

· Registered
18 Posts
Did some one say Mosin? :D

This was my first Mosin Nagant! I re-finished it myself. I didn't sand out all the dark spots so it would keep most of its character. Originally the Mosins would have had a hand rubbed oil finish or a shellack finish. No, you don't have to chop the stock down to make it worthy of going hunting.

This Mosin 91/30 dosen't have all that much kick. For a total of $80 for the rifle and $10 for the re-finishing supplies it was well worth the time. This paticular Mosin was of course old, but it isn't rare. If you buy a Mosin then you should do your homework and make sure its not a collectors item.

You can find ALOT of good info on the Mosin on this site...
www.surplusrifle.com

· Registered
681 Posts

shootingworld said:
I've thought about getting one of these myself. Which model would ya'll recommend in 7.62x54 and why? How would it do deer hunting?
Regards,
Jay
If you're wanting it for deer hunting, get the M38 or a M91/59 (both are carbines without the bayonets). It'll be short and light. With the exception of the M44, they're all a bit on the long and heavy side, and the M44 just gets rid of the long part. I've got a buddy that has taken several deer with the M44. It's just like hunting them with a .308, really. Does the job quite nicely. If you're wanting something that's just fun to shoot, grab any of them. The big fireball that comes out of the carbines is always a treat, but those longer ones are pretty dang accurate. Moral of the story? Get one of each.

· Registered
133 Posts
actually, the m38 is the same length as the m44. the m44 is almost as heavy as the m91/30. 7.62x54 is deffinately adequate. here are the balistics for the 7.62 in a 180 gr. hunting bullet http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo024.htm. the older rifles were typically better made. the Finnish rifles are the most accurate and are the best of the mosins, but are 3x the cost of the rest

http://7.62x54r.net/ is a great resource for Mosin info

· Registered
681 Posts

Dirigo said:
actually, the m38 is the same length as the m44. the m44 is almost as heavy as the m91/30.
Reread the wording of my post, and you'll see that it indirectly says the M38 and the M44 are the same length, and the weight is the only major difference. Mostly just describing three different rifles with two different attributes in once sentence. That's being efficient :wink: . I was possibly a bit TOO efficient, which made it a bit confusing.

Either way, some of the later rifles were made pretty well, but the wartime ones were kinda crappy in the quality control department. I've got a wartime (1943) M91/30, and the machining is pretty nasty compared to my M91/30 from 1933. I'd love to get my hands on one of the Finnish ones, that's for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.