Mossberg 100ATR (All Terrian Rifle)

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by JDS, Feb 17, 2005.

1. JDS

JDS Member

I just saw one of these new rifles at Walmart tonight. The rifle was all black with a synthetic stock and parkerized matt finished barrel and receiver. The gun comes with free Weaver scope mounts as well. The gun is stamped Made in USA. The cost was 249.00 plus tax. Has anyone had a chance to get one of these out on the range yet? If so... What do you make of the gun?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I got a chance to see the Mossberg 100 ATR recently in the walnut finish and I must say that I was kind of impressed. The action worked smooth and pretty tight. The wood fit and finish was also pretty good for being a Mossberg. My overall opinion about the gun is that I think it’s a great gun for the money and that most anybody will be pleased to own. I also think Mossberg is going to sell right many of them, especially when someone compares it to some of the lower end guns available such as the Remington 710. Mossberg also has great customer service and some loyal following behind them. I am looking forward to test one of these rifles out on the range in the near future. I will keep you updated.
    John Brindall

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Years ago Mossberg had a rifle made by Howa,which is a pretty good rifle.The first one I saw was at a shooting range and it grouped with factory ammo better than alot of folks around us,I'm not sure if these are Howa's but at that price you could afford to use one and see what it shoots.Drop-Shot

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

No, not Howas. The one I saw looked good. Well made, and fit looked clean for a Mossberg

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Then you HAVE to get one and let us know.I played with one and it felt like a pretty tight lock up,and was not rough as a cob.The one I saw was synthetic and when I get this CDL paid for I am going to take a look at them.My wife is a pharmacy tech at walmart and we get 10% off any non-food item,that way I could put one on lay a way if the wife don't kill me first..But I would like to hear from folks that own one.Didn't I see made in USA on it?Drop-Shot

6. danurve

danurve Guest

Dug this thread out of the woodwork 8)
    Here is an article from gunweek http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1010.html
    Been looking at these on and off, something for black bear. Apparently Mossberg is on a roll with these. In .270 & 30-06 and now .243 & .308 versions. Someone called the ATR's Mossberg's 500 of rifles. The price looks right for a decent budget rifle.

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Since the first post I have seen several at the shooting range,most with the cheaper scopes and I feel with a better scope it would group better,the 39.95 bushnell and BSA won't give a true rifles abilitys I think,my personal opinions,the first 2 I saw shot at 2.00 inches and others later a little under some a little over the 2 inch group.I would like to see how they perform with a simmons Atec.Drop-Shot

8. rshow

rshow Guest

The bolt head and action bears a striking resembelence to the Raptor that was made a few years back. Rich

9. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Your right rshow, It is almost the same design, only the Mossberge is more refined and polished. It is an improvement to the Raptor which was a poor excuse for a gun.

10. hoghunting

hoghunting Super Member

The reason the Mossberg looks like the Raptor is that Mossberg bought Raptor a few years ago.

11. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Mossy, from what I have read about the gun made some major improvements

12. billyhornsby

billyhornsby Guest

Great gun and value. .75 MOA with my 30-06. BH

13. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Good deal billy. Are you using factory ammo or are you reloading?

14. billyhornsby

billyhornsby Guest

This is with factory ammo. it was Federal 165 gr. Sierra Gameking...if I am not mistaken....Billy

15. rifleboy15

rifleboy15 Super Member

u r lucky,up her at my local walmart,therer $315.72 or somthing like that,its above 300 dollars,was thinking of getting one for m mom or for elk down in new mexico,good luckj to anyone who buys it :D

16. billyhornsby

billyhornsby Guest

I have taken deer at 225 yards and 100 yards. It smacks them just like the expensive rifles.

Billy

17. jca6

jca6 Guest

good value for the $$$ i bought a 270 and 30-06 black syn just for hardcore shooters to take with me and bang around with in the woods. tough lil guns

jake