Most accurate big bore?

Discussion in 'Medium Bore' started by El Padrino, Oct 15, 2005.

1. El Padrino

El Padrino Guest

What is the most accurate big bore caliber? I am going elk hunting next year and want to get something that has great long distance capabilities. Currently I am leaning toward the .338 Rem Ultra Mag. I am also thinking about .338 Win Mag. Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

padrino,

The medium bore most people can shoot the best with is a 35 Whalen. The 338 Win mag is about all most shooters can handle without flinching. I would much rather shoot my 375 H&H mags than my 338 Win. The 340 Wby and 338 UM have such a sharp jab to them that you'll probably develop a flinch. Any inherent accuracy is completely negated by flinching.

Take a good look at the Whalen. It is fine to 250-275 yards, and most elk are shot at around 50-100 yards. I've taken eland and gemsbok with the Whalen; they are much tougher to bring down than elk, and the Whalen with good 225 or 250 gr bullets is a stopper! If you think you need a 300 yard shooter, take the 338 Win with 225 gr. The new Win 325 is something you might consider; it was made for elk hunting!!

3. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

Re: re: Most accurate big bore?

I agree with L2S that the 325WSM would be a great elk round. The only problems with the short magnums is when you start loading them with the heavier end (and/or) longer bullets. Those bullets have to be seated so far back in the case (in order for the round to still fit in the short action) that you lose a significant amount of power space - and hence lose velocity/energy.
    But this isn't a concern really for elk with the 325 WSM - heck, a 150gr bullet in 270 is fine elk medicine, so any of the normal weight bullets in 325 will work great.

4. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The short mags suffer from the same problem as the 308 Win...too short to load with heavy bullets...

As the game gets bigger and tougher, so should the bullets. :idea: :idea:

5. Sourdough

Sourdough Guest

My neighbor has a .338 RUM and is hating it more and more each day. He has so much invested in it he feels he has to tame it. I've taken him to get stitches twice now from scope bite. Most people learn after the first bite.

I shoot .338 Win Mags, I dumped the wood and put them in synthetic stocks that tamed them bunches.

For Elk, if your shot is going to under 250 yards I would recommend the .35 Whelen. I own two .35s and they are capable of taking anything in North Americia. The Nosler 225gr partition is great for Elk sized game. I would pick it over the .338 Win Mag under most circumstances. The 35 cal will drop big animals on the spot if you do your part. The nice thing about the .35 Whelen is you can load 185gr pistol bullets for plinking. This helps familerise you with the gun, and is fun for kids and wives, due to low recoil. Loaded with 250gr bullets it is capable of taking Moose and Big Bears in Alaska. When drifting rivers in the spring for bears I carry 35s over .338s, bigger holes and easier recoil.

6. Sourdough

Sourdough Guest

But back to the original question. Most accurate? I pick the 338-378 Weatherby. It is the only one I am comfortable with shooting out beyond 600 yards. Under 300 yards three shot groups just leave one ragged hole. At 500 yards I hit 4" clay targets consistantly. At 700 I'm on a 9" pie plate. My goasl is to trim it down to where I am still on an 11" paper plate at 1000 yards.

7. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

the .408 CheyTac is pretty good. a marine used a Cheyene Tactical Intervention to print a 16 inch 3 shot group at 2350 yards

8. Tomo

Tomo Guest

Old 8x68S is probably the best and the most accurate cal.From pigs-buffalo that is no problem.I have it and all 300 magnums are below 8mmx68S.www.artemis-hunting.com

9. 260rem

260rem Super Member

If I was buying a long range big game rifle then I would get a Weatherby Accumark in 340wby with a 225gr Barnes X, I have seen this punch a hole through a 1200kg scrub bull and blow what was inside for 25m behind it.
    But for under 300m a 375H&H will handle the biggest game that 90% of people will come across.

10. Tomo

Tomo Guest

That is very good medicine for big game maybe too much destroyer but for african game excelent.

11. Tomo

Tomo Guest

I'll stick that 8x68s is more than enough for big game and with good bullet the most accurate rifle.It's more accurate and powerful than any .30 cal magnum.OK I know that is a little bit old cal. and quite big case but it works and usualy you need only one bullet so no need for reloading.I shot a bear in Croatia in 2004.(340kg) at the range of 456m with only one bullet.It was dead on the spot and bullet passed through shoulders without any problem.You can't achieve this with 9,3mm or you can but I would not dare because I hate missing or even worse,wounding.In last 15 years I didn't loose any animal and that is the most important.

12. Linda Vista Farm

Linda Vista Farm Guest

here is one for you,300 H&H magnum. I love mine and it will handle anything on the continental US . I can down load it for small thin skinned animals, but load a 220 grain bullet at around 2700 fps and any bear had better look out. And the best part is it will punch them through a single hole at 100 yards.

Johnny

13. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:D As far as the .33's in our area, they are not too popular. heavy recoil is the main grip. elk are not that tough to put down if you drive that bullet through the lungs. i have probably shot 4 or 5 with 150 grain bullets out of a .300. However, i would not recommend that bullet for general elk hunting. elk don't excite me much, i usually shot 'em cuz my wife liked elk. in this area the 7mm's and super .30's are the most popular, followed by the old '06. a good bullet like Nosler Part. and any one of these will do in the biggest elk that ever walked. while i am not a .270 fan, it would do fine, with the same design of bullet. but it can't kick the slugs out as fast a the mag. calibers. so your range would be somewhat shorter. i have a pal who is a govt. trapper, he tried the .25-06 for years and finally switched to a .30 because he was tried of trailing elk. the .270 seems to be about as light as most elk hunters are willing to go under normal circumstances. :wink:

14. 260rem

260rem Super Member

I'm taking delivery of a Sako TRG in 338lap mag with a Leupold mark4 6-28X (or something like that) scope for a mate of mine.
    I have a feeling that it will be one very accurate big bore, I'm looking fowaed to working up some loads for it.

Look out Bunnies :twisted:

15. vol717

vol717 Member

The most accurate big bore is undoubtedly the .375 H&H. Not a cross- canyon stretcher, but out to about 400 yards, it's hard to beat. The cartridges you mentioned are really medium bores, but they're certainly fine for elk. You should try shooting one of those ultra-mags to make sure you can handle the recoil. I'm not recoil sensitive, but the recoil velocity of some of the ultra .338s get my attention in a hurry.

16. 260rem

260rem Super Member

The Sako TRG 338lap mag has arived with a 6.5-20X50 Leupold mark 4 scope for on top, I have to wait for him to get down here to fire the 1st shot but as I will have to do some load development with it on friday then we are going to test it out on a mob of pigs that have taken a liking to a friends place :twisted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now this is an accurate long range bigish? bore

17. jca6

jca6 Guest

anything lazzeroni makes, examine the .338 lapua vs a 338 lazz you'll know what i mean. most accurate, expensive, heavy recoiling, hardest hitting at far far away. btw shells are like 100$ a box. but this debate was for most acurate not sinceable right

18. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

In the first place there is no such thing as an accurate cartridge! Any cartridge has range, and power limits, and one cartridge can have better range, and flatter trejectory,than some others, but is only accurate if shot from an accurate rifle, by a shooter who can wring the rifle/cartridge/load potentual out of the whole package! :?:

The rifle/cartridge combination, is only as good as the nut on the trigger! :lol:

19. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

I you are sure you will only hunt in North America, then the 35 Whelen, is the ticket if you are recoil shy, but want enough power for anything here with good shot placement. However, if you intend going to Africa any time in the future, I suggest you look at the CZ 550 chambered for the 9.3X62. It is about the same power as the 35 whelen, but is legal for even Cape buffalo in most countries in Africa, the 35 cal is not. That rifle is fairly inexpensive, yet is of very good quality, and has a CRF action, and good Express sights, as back-up for a broken scope!

20. MacD37

MacD37 Well-Known Member

Re: re: Most accurate big bore?

...................... :D :D :D :D :lol:

Want some sticker shock,price a box of 20 Federal 470NE factory ammo! $348 per box, that's $17.40 per shot! :shock: