Most Dangerous Animal

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by mike .308, Sep 25, 2005.

1. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

In your opinion what is the most dangerous animal. Some people say Cape Buffalo but I find it hard to believe a Cape Buffalo is less dangerous then a charging Rhino. What do you think?

2. 1gsplover

1gsplover Super Member

:) Some say that being between a landward feeding hippo and the water it desires to return to puts one face-on with THE most dangerous critter.
    Never shot anything more dangerous than a Whitetail, myself, but I'd least like to have to hunt down a wounded leopard or lion in thick, high grass. Scary. JMHO
    ///olde 8) pharte///

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

The father of the girl I was dating the winter of my senior year of high school. Honestly, he had nothing to worry about from me!!
    Seriously, I would have to go with the Cape Buffalo based on the stories I've heard. Legend has it a rhino can be turned with a solid hit whereas a buff is a determined bugger who's mind is not easily changed.

4. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Statistically the hippo has killed the most people in africa

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Most Dangerous Animal

Hippos kill many native people who go to the rivers or water holes, or are in heavy and tall grass, cutting it for cattle feed. They also turn over small boats at times. A hippo can be a fearsome thing. :evil:

A wounded leopard or lion are about hell on all fours!! :shock: I know of one certain PH whose neck was severed from front to his neckbone from one lightning swipe by a leopard exiting a cave that the PH's dogs had run him into. Lions are just big and strong...500 pounds of claw and muscle, all connected to an attitude.

Cape buffalo are dangerous because they are HARD to kill and at times will charge for seemingly no reason. I watched one tough old buff take 16 shots from heavy calibers, before he ran off several hundred more yards and vanished into the long grass. He was eventualy found...dead...thank God!

Black rhino are very dangerous, but can be brought down with a single well placed shot. They can't see worth doodoo, but can find you with their great sense of smell.

Elephant are the most dangerous in my opinion. They are so smart and are not that easy to kill. Well placed brain shots bring them right down, but a miss is an awful thing to have happen. When crowded, they will charge often. The cape buffalo will turn and leave far more often under these circumstances than an elephant. As a very social animal, a herd may attack someone who just attacked a member of a family group.

It is a very hard choice as to which is the most dangerous. Maybe thats why the lion, leopard, rhino, buffalo, and elephant are called the BIG FIVE.

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Crocs are believed to kill the greatest number of people in Africa, Hippos are the leader if one only considers mammals. I've been told it is difficult to get hard numbers on croc deaths as the "evidence" is often missing.

7. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

To compound this, croc and hippo numbers are crashing in recent years. Stats are difficult to obtain and even more difficult to make sense of under these circumstances. :?

The actual most dangerous animal in all of Africa is the malaria parasite. :idea:

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Hippo and Croc dying off in big numbers in africa???

9. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

In North America, I would go with Alaska Brown Bears. Big and they live in dense alders where you can't see very far- following one up in the tangles is about the most willying experience one can have. Barren ground grizzly are much smaller and meaner but are generally more visible- its odd to stumble upon a barren ground grizzly unexpectedly. I've seen brownies hit well with substantial calibers go for miles, to maul you it would have to only go a few yards. Maybe I'm bearanoid even though statistically moose are far more dangerous. Whitetail Deer are many times more deadly if you take vehicle strikes into consideration.

Outside the US I think I'd be most terrified of tigers for most of the above reasons with bears. Big and live in the jungles- not hunted often anymore and thats OK because I think I'd just have to pass that one up...Any of the Big Five could get very ugly IMHO but I think I'd try those given opportunity.

10. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

woman with charge card!! :shock: :shock:

11. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

:shock: :shock: A "Charging Woman"... :shock: :shock: ...no way to stop one... :?

12. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

Trying to stop a "charging" woman...

I'll take my chances with the lions, the tigers, and the bears! Oh MY!

13. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Used to be the sound a charging woman made was ...CHU CHUNCK! Now is just a sliding noise. Still scary as heck!

HWD

14. Sourdough

Sourdough Guest

The badest thing I've ever had to stop was a ticked off wolverine. The guys I was with must have shot 30 rounds at him with 30 cals, not a single hit. All the while he ran from 250 yards to 15 feet, snarling at every step. At 15 feet he met a load of #4 buckshot from my 12ga pump.

15. vashooter

vashooter Well-Known Member

Most dangerous animal? It's a toss up between Hillary Clinton and Diane Feinstein- either one would snatch every gun you own in a flash if you let them! Then with you disarmed they'd tear your cojones right off! :evil: