Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as you can see by my recent flurry of posts, I've been on the hunt for my first lever action. I wanted it to be a gun that would do all-around hunting duty if this was to be my only one.

On a VERY spur-of-the-moment decision, I bought a Winchester 94AE XTR with 20" barrel. I hope I made a wise decision. I'll probably still end up getting a 30-30 for fun too, but this may be my primary serious hunting rig. Now I need to find a good source for loaded ammo!

NOW, any suggestions if I got a scope for this? It's already drilled and tapped for one. I was thinking a fixed scope -- maybe 2x or 3x Leupold?
:roll:

· Registered
1,427 Posts
What caliber is your 94? I was guessing it was in 30/30 but now I'm curious. That should be a fine gun, at least I hope so as I have one in .45 Colt on order and it should come in early next week. A fixed 2x or 3x should do fine but I have a 2x7 on my Marlin which replaced the 1.5x4.5 variable I previously had on it. I went with the ability for higher magnification as it makes it a bit easier to see sticks, twigs, and small branches between me and the target. At the highest setting I can make out bullet holes on the target if I use one with an orange center. This wasn't possible with a 4x scope. The scopes I've put on 30/30s have generally been in the $100 range for variables as the recoil and my demands on the scope are not great; these do fine. I am becoming a believer in variables for nearly all my guns of which a 3x9 Simmons, Tasco, or Bushnell are generally picked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.