My Rifle Story

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by mdkoh, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mdkoh

mdkoh Guest

Recently a good friend of mine announced a move to Hawaii. During his packing he gave to several friends (myself included) rifles and shotguns. I recieved a Savage FS112 chambered in 22-250, the story I got was that it would not print any smaller than 6" @ 100 yards. Let me describe the rifle, heavy barrel, Harris Bipod, synthetic stock, and a Leupold 2-9 power scope.

First firing session confirmed groups of roughly 4". Initially we found that barrel was not free floating. After relieving any contact points, which shrank groups within 2", we started looking at ammo and bullet possibilities. We tried 4 different bullets to start with, using 2 different powders H380 and 4064.

I won't bore everyone with the nitty gritty details. Suffice it to say We seem to have found a good combination, 38 grs of H380 with either a 50 or 52 grain Hornady V-Max with a CCI BR-2 primer. This has produced groups of roughly 1" and smaller. I am not a trained rifle shooter, I'm sure with the help of a trainer I can get my groups closer but to get groups this small with little more than free floating a barrel and handloading my cartridges, WOW!!

I have never owned a Savage but if all their rifles shoot this well then I give them High praise.

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Well MD, sure seems like you lost a good friend but gained a good shooter in the process. Savage rifles are noted for their accuracy and, in common with other rifles, have their individual preferences on what loads they like. I had trouble getting under 1" with the econo factory loads but quickly shrank the groups to < 0.5" when I started handloading for my 223. Keep tinkering with loads and you'll likely improve even further.

Safe shooting.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I agree mountainview,they are overlooked by some but will shoot well.I have one,I just can't get it away from my brother.The only problem with that gun was the trigger,my brother had a gunsmith fix or replace the trigger and he won't even let me touch that gun,he shoots in the texas senderos and can make a tough shot look easy with that gun.It's a 7 mm mag and he don't reload so he tried several factory brands and has hit on one that regularly shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at the 130 yard targets and never misses deer.The newer ones are the smoothest triggers they have ever made.Yep overlooked but great guns.Drop-Shot

4. berettashotgun

berettashotgun Guest

A Savage has a terrible resale, but the 220 swift heavy barrel that shoots a cloverleaf at 100 meters is a keeper.It was from the island of misfit toys, but a little handloading was all it took- and a good barrel scrubbing/lapping.Savages are great shooters.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I agree brettashotgun,you don't buy a savage for resale you buy it to use.The only one I have I got to resale and after a couple of years at gunshows I decided to keep it.After shooting 3 shots of winchester silver tips I decided that would be my hunting gun.My brother borrowed it,had the trigger fixed(too hard and scratchy pull)and won't give it back.He loves it.They have to be the best value in guns today and with the accutrigger,it's even better.Drop-Shot

6. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

This goes to show how regional differences and model can affect gun prices. A used standard model Savage will sell for roughly the same price as a Rem 700, Win 70, etc. in this area due to the high numbers of non-Savage brands and the competition for the dollar. The Savage seller takes a lot less of a beating (and maybe even a bit of a profit) on resale than the owner of a "better" rifle when original purchase price and current resale price are compared. When you get into the specialty guns, the Savage is no worse and often a lot better in recouping the price than the more expensive guns. A Remington Sendero or Winchester equivalent will sit on the shelf for a loooong time or be greatly discounted while the Savage Tactical models will likely go out the door relatively quickly due to its lesser cost. I've got a Savage Model 16 and and a Striker that I think are a very good value. The 16 is as accurate as any other standard gun I have access to and is fully the equal of the regular production guns from any other big manufacturer.

7. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

uglydog I sold guns for 13 years and not once did I sell a used savage or new one for that matter.I gave one to my uncle that I lugged around for 3 years,unshot 7mm mauser(7X57)I gave one to a ducks unlimited give away(tax rite off) and 1 I let my brother use and he likes it so much I can't get it back.When I got my ffl I was told by others to never buy a savage except for a 99.That shows the difference of locations.I was in the south.That was in the 80's and early 90's.mabe it was worse then.I have shot the savage and don't like the plastic stock but love the laminated stock,that was the one my brother took over.I'm glad that savage does well where you live,they are one of the best values in rifles today and just mabe they are getting a reputation for being good guns and may reflect that in sales now.I didn't have a store,I used gunshows to sell and remington and winchester was the best sellers at that time in the south.I used to love the Houston gun shows cause all winchesters sold like hot cakes,and in louisianna I could get them used pretty reasonable.I would buy a savage today,but not for resale,to use.Have you tried the accutrigger model yet?Smooth!Drop-Shot

8. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

My Savages are pre-Accu-Trigger but I have shot one a little bit. It is a nice trigger but I am not enough of a rifle shooter to get really excited about it. My dad, uncles, and other relatives rave about how much better the Accu-Trigger is compared to the old style but they don't think it is as good as a tuned Rem/Win/ Mauser. Old prejudices die hard. I'm looking at a new blued, synthetic stocked, package gun in 22/250 with the Accu-Trigger. At $339 it is too good to pass up but funds are a little low right now as I spent too much on other guns and shooting related equipment in recent weeks. Latest buys were a used silver Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x8 for $150 (it'll go on my 375) and a new matte Burris Signature 3x9 with Posi-lock for $200. I don't have a gun to put this one on but I'm looking!

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I know about low funds,I have the I wants but the I can'ts is stopping me.You got a great deal on that leupold.I want something in 17 HMR and the savage is the right price,and I have never seen a savage that wouldn't shoot great,I've seen a picky 7mm but with the right factory ammo it shoots as good as any rifle out there with factory ammo.It may take awhile,we just bought a house and the savings went for the down payment,but I will have one one day.Drop-Shot

10. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Funny you should mention a 17 HMR. I just recieved some "award coupons" from using my Gander Mountain credit card. I have enough to pay about half on a 17 HMR I saw at the store last week. I don't remember if it was a Savage or a Marlin but at $200 for the gun with an inexpensive 3x9 scope, I figure I can't go wrong. I'm glad I didn't get the Mach 2 earlier like I had planned. Now I got to figure how to sneak it into the house with out the wife knowing. With the new safe I got and all the extra room, she has been on the look out for my filling it.

11. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

uglydog have you heard anything good or bad about the rem 597 in 17 HMR?I saw one at the gun show but have not heard anything about it.A friend bought a 17 barrell for his 22 mag ruger 10/22 and it is super accurate,I'm not sure that I want an auto 17HMR as most are not that accurate.If they are accurate I may look into one.Drop-Shot

12. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I recently picked up a 597 in 22 WMR and it was a fairly decent shooter for the little I shot it. I put about 100 rounds through it before sending it off on consignment. I got 2" groups with it using Winchester 45 gr Dynapoints on my outside range. Wind conditions were incoming light and variable at 5-10 mph and skies were clear. I did not try another brand or type of bullet as I just wanted to see if this gun shot these well. My Marlin 25M doesn't like them much nor does the Browning BL-22 and H&K that I have access to. The 22 LR versions seem to have many advocates and a guy who shows up for groundhog shoots at the local range with his 597 gives the rest of the boys a run for the money. I would have no qualms regarding the accuracy of the Ruger 10/22 in 17 HMR. The Rugers have a great reputation for accuracy in all versions and are the benchmark many guns are compared to. BTW, I did not get a 17 HMR today, they were marked back up to $230 for the version I was looking for and the gun only version was $200. I'll wait and pick one up in a month or so when they go on sale again. Maybe...