Shooting World Forums banner

Need help with ballistics

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Jrboltaction 
#1 ·
I just bought a TC Encore barrel in 454 casual. The barrel is 20" long. I can find lots of ballistics on the round when fired from a 7.5 or 10" barrel but nothing from a 20" Barrel.

How can I find out my FPS and energy at 50, 100, 150 yards. Also, if I zero in a 100 yds, how high or low will I be at 50 or 150 yards.
I have seen some of the ballistic calculaters but I am on a mac and they work on pc's.
I am shooting Winchester 260 gr Ballistic silvertips.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bill, Jr

G
#5 ·
Mountainview,
I think that is going to be my best bet. I have been putting off buying a pc emulator but I think its time to get one.

Drop Shot,
I love it. So far I have only shot it at a 25 yard indoor range.
I think this is going to be a very accurate setup. I know it was only at 25 yards but I put 4 shots through one jagged hole. I cant wait to get outside and shoot it at 100 yards.
I was surprised at how light the recoil was. Of course light is a relative term. I was expecting it to thump me pretty good. The barrel measures 1" the full length and is pretty heavy. The recoil was a lot less than my 30-06.

Thanks
Bill, Jr

#7 ·
Bill I recently developed wrist problems after shooting a 500 S&W,I don't know if I strained it or it's arthritus brought on by the 500 S&W.Thats just too much,I like the 454 and would like to shoot the 475 linebaugh.I have shot the 480 and it's not that bad.There is a place here that you can rent and shoot any gun they have,but they did not have the 475 linbaugh (I was told you can shoot the 480 in the 475 but not vise-versa) but of the big guns above the 44 mag,I like the 454,I shot the raging bull Taurus.Enjoy.Drop-Shot

#8 ·
Anonymous said:
I was surprised at how light the recoil was. Of course light is a relative term. I was expecting it to thump me pretty good. The barrel measures 1" the full length and is pretty heavy. The recoil was a lot less than my 30-06.

Thanks
Bill, Jr
You do know that a 7-30W or 30-30 will have even less recoil and reach farther?

My wrists can't take long sessions of thunderboomers anymore. I stop with 44mag and prefer to stay with the 7-30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.