NEF 223 ammo

Discussion in 'Single Shots and Slide Action' started by Anonymous, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have had great success firing the dreaded "Wolf" in FMJ. Does this experience concur with others?

How badly does using the heavier (67 grain?) bullet hurt accuracy? All my experience is with the recommended 55 grain.

2. jcwat

jcwat Super Member

i had some probs using the green/brown lacquer casings. seems like after a couple of shots they would get stuck. i stick to brass casings only now. as foe a heavier bullet, bullet weight shouldn't matter . quality matters. the military surplus 55 gr seems to be accurate for the most part. any factory load (rem/win) will be as accurate as you are. i use georgia arms 55 gr ballistic tips, they fly the same as the mil spec 55 gr fmjs. that make practice alot cheaper. i can put 3 rounds in a quarter sized group at 100 yrds. not the greatest, but i'm no sniper. but it will get the job done.

3. Sourdough

Sourdough Guest

My NEF .223 will only shoot the lighter bullets well. By lighter I mean 45 thru 52 grains. The 60 and 70 grain bullets go everywhere. The rifling in the NEF is too slow to stabalize the heavier bullets.

4. stimpylu32

stimpylu32 Guest

Most 223 handi's have a 1 in 12 twist that does not do well with the 60 gr. and up bullets . The new ones are comming with a 1 in 9 twist for this reason .

Also H&R / NEF says NOT to shoot mil. ammo in these rifles .

5. Sourdough

Sourdough Guest

Yes, I got that word. I'm going to send in my .35 Whelen Handi and have a new .223 barrel fitted to it. I really need to shoot the heavier bullets.

6. myarmor

myarmor Guest

I shoot the El-Cheapo Wolf 55gr Hollow Points often. They are fun to plink around with. Groups with these are anywhere from 1" -3" at 120yards. They aren't very consistant, but for some cheap light hearted fun, they fit the bill.
    Mine is the old 1-12twist 24" Bull Barrel.

7. stimpylu32

stimpylu32 Guest

sourdough

When you send in your frame add a note to them asking for the 1-9 twist barrel if you want to shoot the 55 and up bullets .