New .243 Savage comes home.

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by elderberry99, Aug 26, 2005.

1. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Yesterday I picked up my new Savage 11FL in .243. I was going to have a Nikon Monarch UCC 2x7 scope mounted on it until I got to the Sports Shop. My dealer had me take a few different scopes outside and try them out and I decided on the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40.
    After getting the new rig home, I removed the stock and cleaned the entire barrel of grease and adjusted the accutrigger. I then took the rifle to my shooting area behind the house and began sighting it in at 100 yards with two different loads. I used the Remington Core-lokt 100 grain PSP and PMC 100 grain with Sierra Gameking SPBT bullets. Both rounds did rather well. After the sighting in and barrel cleaning and cool downs, I proceeded to test my groups. I found that the Remington would touch holes at 100 yards. The PMC Gameking did well but would not do better then 1". I will try a couple more brands before settling for one. I am looking to purchase the Federal Vital Shok and maybe a box of Winchester Western but not sure of the latter. I have never had any real luck with the Winchester's.
    The Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 scope was mounted with Weaver mounts and Millett Rings. The scope was an excellent choice and I am glad I listened to my dealer and gave it a chance. I am so much happier with the Nikon 3x9 on this rifle then my 2x7 on my .308. The optics are crystal clear and for the price, I could not go wrong.
    The .243 is such a pleasure to shoot, and in the left hand bolt action with Accutrigger is just icing on the cake for me as I have been shooting in a right hand world all of my life. I have always enjoyed the accuracy of a bolt action, but as a left hander it is hard for me using a right hand bolt.
    I am sure I will get many years of good shooting with this rifle and scope.
    I am now considering getting another identical rig in 25-06 to play with

2. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

e-berry,
    Glad you got a rig you like. Its always fun to take a new one to the range and see what it can do. One word of warning though is that the Savages are addicitive, I got one to try since I needed a low cost shooter. That was 3 Savage rigs ago and am currently trying to get a 4th.

I'm thinking about getting a Nikon 2-7x for a slug rig I am putting together, seems a lot of folks like this brand.

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

E-berry,

Congrats on the rifle.Sounds like ya got a shooter there. I don't think you'll have any problems with the Nikon. Between my wife and myself,we own 5 of them. Clear and crisp as any I've stared through.

HWD

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

E-berry have you tried the Hornady line of ammo?I have had great success on factory 100 gr for my 243,when I ran out of ammo a few years ago on a hunt I bought the Hornady line and about duplicated the groups of my hand made stuff.I try to keep 2-3 boxes of reloads handy but a friends kids shot my supply dry on crows,I was several hours away from home so I picked up a couple of boxes of the hornadys and still have 1/2 a box left.Congrats,Drop-Shot

5. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

Drop-Shot,
    I have not tried anything but the PMC and Remington so far. I will try to locate the Hornady 100 grain ammo and give it a try. It seems like I cannot find anything local but the Remington and Winchester loads. With the rate of postage, I hate to give in to the post office by ordering on line but it seems like I may have no choice.
    I will not give up the search!! :lol:

6. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

-berry,

If you are getting that kind of accuracy with the Remington Core-lokt, stay with them. Their bullet is far superior to the Sierra and most others for deer hunting. It is the exact happy medium between expansion and weight retention, IMHO. :idea: Remington got it right many years ago, and there have been few, if any, designs that are a better hunting bullet or as flexible in their applications. :D

I owned two 243s in the past, and the 100gr Rems were my ammo of choice. My handloads were topped with the 100 Core-lokt 100 PSP. The bullets were cheap and were superior in accuracy and hunting performance...no reason to change... :D :wink:

7. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I took the .243 out yesterday to my home-made range and shot two more boxes of ammo to get used to the gun and fine tune the scope.After cleaning and letting the barrel cool down after each string of shots, I found that with the Remington Core-Lokt 100 grain PSP ammo at 100 yards, I was shooting a consistant 3 shot groups of no more then 1/2". Many of the groups were touching holes. I am done looking for the perfect ammo for my new Savage now. I can't wait to purchase another Savage 11FL in another caliber now.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Thats it EB99,stick with what works.Drop-Shot

9. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

EB99-

I have a Savage 110 243 left handed rifle, one of the oldies (20yrs back) and it takes those Remmy PSP 100 gr bullets and puts then in a 3/4 in group at 100 yards as well. Factory bullets, no less. :shock: Congrats on a great gun! Mine is pre accutrigger, but still a great gun.

10. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

The accutrigger is unreal to say the least. No more creep in the trigger.
    The Savage 11FL is one great rifle for me.
    For so many years I was led to believe that Savage Arms was nothing but a low price, low quality gun. I am glad to say that this is not true.
    I have been getting more enjoyment shooting this rifle then any I have owned in the past and that number is very high.
    To be able to shoot Remington 100 grain PSP Core-Lokt and get 1/2" groups time after time is unheard of for me. I have read so many forums and articles where one had to shoot so many different brands before finding a good tight grouping. I have used two different types so far and will not need to go any furthur. I was advised to try the PMC boattails but they refused to group in anything less then 1" at a steady rest on the bench. When the Remington Core-Lokt started punching holes in 1/2" and less at 100 yards consistently with 3 shot groups over and over, I could not believe my eyes and knew I had found what my rifle liked to eat.
    As soon as my Remington 7600 .308 is sold, I will replace it with another Savage in .308 or 25-06.
    I feel like a kid that is tasting ice cream for the first time... :lol:

11. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

EB 99

Get a 308! So versatile...My next rifle, I believe.

12. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

That is a hard call for me. I have the .308 now and love it. The recoil is mild and when you are on a deer, you do not feel the recoil any way. The ammo is available any where from Wally World to the Big "K" and every store in between.
    I will most likely stay with the .308. I just want it in the left hand bolt action like my .243.

13. danurve

danurve Guest

From the Savagearms site the 11FL 243 Win (1 in 9.25") twist. May I suggest you try a box of the 85 gr. Federal's. Loaded with the Sierra gameking bthp.

14. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I am now using the 100 gr. psp core-lokt Remington ammo and find it to be just what my Savage wants to eat.
    I am still waiting to sell my Remington 7600 in .308 so I can replace it with another Savage 11FL in .308.
    I am convinced and hooked on SAVAGE ARMS.

15. Matt67C10

Matt67C10 Guest

I've got a Savage 111 in .308, it's just an awesome rifle. Yesterday at the arnge I was getting sub 1" groups at 100 yards with the Remington Core Lock ammo. This rifle was a great deal, does everything I ask it to. I'm hooked on Savage as well.

16. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3X9X40 scope mounted on my Savage and find it to be a perfect mate to the rifle. Optics are super clear.