new cleaning gear

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by wired, Jul 29, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

Okay, I've been using CLP for ages, but I believe it's about time for a switch. I don't like the spray can. I prefer the bottle, but the bottle is proving very difficult to find around here lately, and very few places even have the spray (what do these people have against CLP?).

Hoppes is pretty easy to find around here, so I'm probably going to go with that. They actually break up the different products so it's not as handy as the "do it all" CLP, from what I've seen. That means I need a cleaner and a lubricant. The cleaner is a bit of a no-brainer, but what's the best lube they have, or does some other company offer a better one?

I realize there will be a lot of opinions on this, and that's exactly why I asked it. I want some ideas. I've never used anything but CLP, and I wanna see what all else is out there and what people like. Thanks in advance.

2. CrazyJ

CrazyJ Guest

I use this for cleaning-
    Nitro Powder Solvent:
    The most universally used solvent for removing primer, powder, lead and metal fouling--for preventing rust. Quick, super-efficient, safe and easy to use. Flows freely and penetrates rapidly. A favorite with sportsmen throughout the world.
    [​IMG]

I use this for wiping down exposed metal parts-
    HV Lube:
    High viscosity oil refined to perfection for use in firearms, fishing reels and other precision mechanisms. does not harden, gum or become rancid. Gives extra-long service..
    [​IMG]

I use this on action/trigger assemblys-
    Rem DriLube™
    Teflon® base provides a tough, non-congealing film without the residue of dry graphite lubes. Keeps firearms functioning dependably to -40°F. Available in an easy-to-use 4-oz. aerosol can.
    [​IMG]

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

If you've been shooting copper-jacketed bullets, you need some Hoppe's Bench Rest or some other Copper Solvent to finish cleaning the bore. #9 is fine for powder residue and assorted other "gunk", but it won't touch the copper fouling. By the way, good ol' CLP won't clean copper fouling, either.

Also, you should have a tube of Hoppe's or Outer's gun grease. There are some instances, (heavily loaded, low relative motion speed) where grease is far better than oil.

For trigger mechanisms, I prefer Outer's Gunslick.... it's a little tiny tube of molybdenum disulfide powder suspended in grease. It protects from rust as well as making things slide over each other very smoothly.

4. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

old outers gunslick, thats some good stuff

5. wired

wired Guest

Picked up a small jar of #9 to try it out. I can tell from the smell that it'll be a much better solvent than CLP. Smells like a bunch of the stuff I used to use when I was building scale models. I shoot jacketed everything, so I might wanna try to find some of the Hoppes copper stuff.

I'm also gonna hafta find a good lube. Until then, I suppose I can always use CLP for the lube. I was thinking of the Hoppes all-weather lube. Thanks for the input thus far, fellas.

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Good information folks,I need to add to use in well ventilated areas.Last week I was cleaning from a mornings shooting session and was using Butch's bore shine and sweets 762 in the small work table in my reloading room,the smell made me sick as a dog,I still have a sore throat.I don't have a window and the room is small,I plan on keeping the door open when cleaning again in the future.I seem to be making alot of mistakes as I get older but that one will never happen again.Good luck Drop-Shot

7. wired

wired Guest

Well, been using the ol' #9 for my bores. I found out why it's such a good solvent. The main ingredient appears to be kerosene :shock: . If kerosene won't do the job, you've got a bit of a problem. I still use CLP for the lube for now, but I am now a fan of #9 for swabbing out bores and oiling up the parkerized finish on my 1911 (which makes the old girl smell sweeter than anything). Haven't picked up the copper solvent yet, but it's next on my shopping list.

8. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Since we are on the subject of cleaning gear, is anyone using bore snakes out there? And in your opinion, they just as good as the old fashion brush on a stick? How do you clean a bore snake, and how often should you do it?

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

The bore snake works well on my shotgun for quick cleanup.I've not tried one made for rifles-pistols just yet. As for cleaning them,the instructions say to put it in a laundary bag and throw it in the washing machine. I don't believe that they recommend drying it.Just hang it up and let it air dry.
    They aren't as good as a brush and patch ,but for a "quicky",just fine.

HWD

10. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Is anybody here using Ed's Red?

Mix one quart each of acetone, odorless mineral spirits, kerosene and automatic transmission fluid. Cleans like a son-of-a-gun, but keep it off the pretty wood. Also has lubricating qualities. Also works well as a choke tube cleaner, penetrating oil and fire starter. :wink:

I prefer Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal. Prestone Brake cleaner for general grease and gunk removal. And beloved CLP for final protection.

11. wired

wired Guest

Never used a bore-snake. I would say that it would be handy in the field, but for good cleaning at home, stick with the rods and such. I would be hesitant to wash it in a washing machine, as it would deposit stuff in the washing machine that you wouldn't really want near Little Johnny's undergarments. I've heard the best way to clean them is to put it in an empty milk jug with soapy water and shake the hell out of it, then hang it up to dry.

Update on the Hoppe's. Bought a small jar of BenchRest copper solvent. Cost twice as much as regular #9 :shock: . Smells even more potent, so I'm sure there is some difference there. It'll probably last me a while, as I won't be cleaning with this stuff every time. Went back to using CLP to oil up the parked finish on my 1911, because it doesn't evaporate as fast, but I'm still lovin the #9!

12. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Hey guys, has anyone heard of the household cleaning product called "Awsome"? you can pick it up at any 99cent store and it cleans like... awsome.... I've had awsome..... results on everything from carbonscoring, copper fouling, that gunk that likes to build up on that surface the action slides on in an auto and as far as I can tell no residue either.

Right now I'm just using Awsome, Rubbing Alchohol, and mineral oil for my gun

I know it's ghetto fabulous, but it works :D

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

sorry I hit the button one to many times

14. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

15. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

16. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

I have been using Hoppe's #9 powder solvent for as long as I have held and fired a gun. I think Hoppe's is one of the finest solutions available. Yes, there is a "BUT" here.
    I have been doing a large amount of research on gun cleaning lately because I am now questiong myself as to what I have been using all these years and wondering if I am doing as good as possible job cleaning my rifles.
    I have been in Range Shooting Competition for many years both pistol and rifle and have had to clean my weapons more times then I can count.
    I am now questioning myself only because of so many new changes and improvements that have come on the market over the years and I have found myself being too "comfortable" with the methods and products of cleaning.
    After reading so many articles from bench rest shooter's, I just placed an order for some Barnes CR 10 to remove the copper build up in my rifles. After reading on how good a job this product does for others, I had to give it a try for myself to see.
    As many other's do, I use the #9 solvent to clean the rifle's fouling with a patch of Rem Oil afterwards to prevent the rust and felt good about how the bore looked. I know I have copper fouling do to the inaccuracies I experience after so many sessions. My routine cleaning is just not getting the job done any more. Hopefully, the Barnes CR 10 will shine for me. (punn intended).