Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new whitetail gun for Maine and New York. I've narrowed my search down to a Marlin 336c in .35 remington or a ruger deerfield carbine in .44 rem mag. scope is still undecided. What would you choose.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Either will serve you very well. I hunted for almost 20 years with a Marlin 336 in .30-30, and have hunted for almost 30 years now with one of the original Ruger .44's.

I sit on a stand for the first couple hours, than still hunt for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, that Marlin weighed 800 pounds..... the Ruger, on the other hand, only weighs about 600 pounds. If you're just sitting on a stand and not driving or still hunting, then the slightly longer and heavier Lever gun wouldn't be any problem.

Another rifle you might consider is the Ruger .44 lever gun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd get both, finances permitting. Both are good cartridges and the rifles are made by reputable companies so get the one that feels right. If the shekels are a tad tight, the 44 mag ammo might be a tad cheaper if you hit the range frequently and use factory ammo. I'd also consider the range of shots taken, neither cartridge is all that flat but the 35 may have a slight edge in retained energy and perhaps velocity over a longer range (recommend checking the tables) if this is a consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.