new deer gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by mak48, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mak48

mak48 Guest

I'm looking for a new whitetail gun for Maine and New York. I've narrowed my search down to a Marlin 336c in .35 remington or a ruger deerfield carbine in .44 rem mag. scope is still undecided. What would you choose.

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

The Marlin, because the 35 Rem. would be a much better choice and be more versatile.

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

Either will serve you very well. I hunted for almost 20 years with a Marlin 336 in .30-30, and have hunted for almost 30 years now with one of the original Ruger .44's.

I sit on a stand for the first couple hours, than still hunt for the rest of the day. At the end of the day, that Marlin weighed 800 pounds..... the Ruger, on the other hand, only weighs about 600 pounds. If you're just sitting on a stand and not driving or still hunting, then the slightly longer and heavier Lever gun wouldn't be any problem.

Another rifle you might consider is the Ruger .44 lever gun.

4. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I'd get the 35 if at all possible. To me it's got a lot more umph! The 35 would be better if ya got a chance to get a moose also.

HWD

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

I'd get both, finances permitting. Both are good cartridges and the rifles are made by reputable companies so get the one that feels right. If the shekels are a tad tight, the 44 mag ammo might be a tad cheaper if you hit the range frequently and use factory ammo. I'd also consider the range of shots taken, neither cartridge is all that flat but the 35 may have a slight edge in retained energy and perhaps velocity over a longer range (recommend checking the tables) if this is a consideration.