Shooting World Forums banner

new rifle caliber

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  43 2N 
#1 ·
Hey ya'll! I've been eyeing a new caliber to join my limited rifle arsenal. I've got a .223 and a .243. Before ya'll laugh, I grew up in a part of Texas where shots were typically less than 200 yards, meaning the .243 did everything I needed it too. The .223 was for varmits, and we all can agree, I'd think, that's it is adequate for that. I played with a .300 mag for a year, way to big for deer, IMHO (TExas deer, west texas deer, not too big). Got rid of the 300, and now, I live in a part of the world where a heavier caliber might be more handy. I'd looking into the opportunity to try to do a little elk hunting, and maybe black bear. I need a caliber to accomplish this with. I've looked at ballistics on the 7 mag, looks impressive. That's my low end caliber, i suppose. While it'd be fun to have a .338 win mag or something, I wonder if that'd be overkill. Of course there's the mighty 30/06, which can do about anything as well. I'm looking for something I could load down to shoot a whitetail if the country I shoot deer in changes from Texas to elsewhere. Anybody got a dream caliber out there? I'm not swayed one way or the other yet. Gathering info. Let the opines begin.

G
#2 ·
TXVAshooter,
Where, or rather, what type of hunting will you be attempting most. From a stand? Walking and or in and out of vehicles? What is the range typically?
Not knowing these and other things I would look real hard at one of those WSM cartriges. Handier package, potential accuracy, plenty of stomp, not to mention I 'm dying to hear field reports from someone re: their use. That 300 WSM just might have your name all over it. You've already stated that you reload and there are lots of ways to lighten the load and or slow the fps down if need be.
If this is out then the 338 win mag. may be what you are looking for. I don't think you could call it overkill because dead is dead. Personally I'm a little recoil sensitive so for me it would be over kill.

#4 ·
You already mentioned it.... the .30-'06 is one of the most versatile - especially with factory loads. There are factory loads from 125 gr to 220 gr, ballistic tips, hollow points, partitions, you name it. A close runner up would be the .308. For elk or black bear, either one is more than adequate; shot placement counts for more than anything else. A .30-'06 in the boiler room will put 'em down a lot quicker than a .338 Mag in the guts.

If you're a reloader, just about anything becomes quite flexible, although some of the monsters get a little quirky when they're loaded with considerably less than full cases.

#5 ·
I am of the opinion that there are different tools to do the job depending on what needs to be done, same with firearms and loads so I do not have a dream caliber or one size fits all. I think it is way more fun to have a selection and choose according to the hunt.

I am a fan of the 30-06 and enjoy the one I got immensely. For whitetail I started off using a 25-06 and it served me well on an expedition out west for the longer shots. Still have it and still use it. Nice balance of muzzle energy, moderate-low recoil, and real good reach. I also have a 7mm-08 for the same reason in a lighter weight rig. While neither round will bring on a case of cartridge envy at the range, both are quite popular for deer hunting and have been described as the last word in whitetail rounds by various sources.

Have fun deciding on a new caliber. I always enjoy the process and it is hard to go wrong. Make sure that you get something you like and can handle comfortably.

#6 ·
sappyg- type of hunting would be walking hills. Range not quite sure about, but I am not comfortable beyond 300 yards for a clean kill, so there's my limit.

to the others, thanks for the advice thus far. That 06 deserves a second look. I guess I should just get as many as I can. :D Actually, the 7 mag and 06 look good, maybe even one of those new short fat mag things. I just don't know. newxt stop, ballisitcs charts and looking for real life testimony on taking animals with them.

#7 ·
I think it was "Outdoor Life" but I can't remember for sure; anyhow, about 5 or 6 months ago, they had an article on the new "reduced recoil" ammo (reduced velocity is how they get it)being offered by Remington. They compared trajectory, velocity, and energy out to about 400 yards. Their conclusion was that the numbers may be different, but when you translate the numbers to real practical utility, there's not a lot of difference between the two.

You could extrapolate the results and conclude that there's not a real significant advantage to a magnum cartridge like a .300 Mag over a standard caliber such as an '06. Knowing your trajectory, the limitations of the cartridge, and your limitations as a shooter is what counts, and most shooters run out of ability before the limitations of the cartridge come into play.

I personally have an '06... but sometimes the shorter action of the .308 looks pretty attractive - the guns are a little shorter, and a little lighter. The farther you carry it, the more that counts.

#8 ·
boy txvashooter I bet you wished you still had the 300 win but If you look at the light magnum loads for the 30/06 it's close to the 300 win mag.I heard of a saying"beware of the man that uses only one caliber,he most likely knows how to use it"I own a bunch of guns in all different calibers,but I killed several coyote with 125 gr 30/06 and if push or die comes up I can use 220 gr round points and boy do they devestate animals.I've been about 15-20 feet from a grizzly claiming my elk I shot.If I had to I could have used the 220 gr and most likely had my elk.So for versitality I pick the 30/06.I ran out of ammo sighting a scope in and only had 2 bullets for a 25/06,no problem I would go to the store.No 25/06 within 100 miles.I hunted all 3 days with only 2 bullets.Every mom&pop store has 30/06 and reloading can make it a tack driver or factory rounds can give outstanding accuracy.I also used to have a 7mm,mag and after all is said and done the 30 cal holes are bigger than 7mm.But the 7mm,mag has a good following and I owned one once and I still don't know why I traded it.Some times going hunting for a gun is as much fun as the actual hunt.good luck.Drop-Shot

#9 ·
Drop shot-

you're right about hunting the gun being as much fun as getting. I love sticking my head into ballistics charts and reviews, etc. I'm leaning towards the aught 6, but I've been known to go ahead and get both. You're right, I wished I kept the .300 mag. It'd have been good for the bigger game I plan to seek.

TXVA

#10 ·
hey guys you may have to attend my wake,I just brought home another gun.I bought a baikal 20 guage side by side with nickel reciever and this gun came with a carry case.You have to break it down but all parts fit snug in its own space.Nylon case and great looking wood.I hope it's a shooter,my 12 guage is.The store owner said out of over300 guns he sold this year so far he only had 3 complaints,1 stock cracked,Baikal sent one from EEA in Miami in less than a week.One broke a firing pin and was repaired and sent back to the store in less than 2 weeks and the one that scares me is a 20 guage like mine that was not regulated.One barrel shot high to right and one shot low to the left,but Baikal sent him a new gun after they recieved it and confirmed the problem.So they are serious about reputation and customer satisfaction,and the average guy can buy one for 389.00 plus tax.If my wife don't kill me I will have to spend 1000 on her anniversary present.She lets me buy but 3 guns in 1 month and she said STOP!We will celebrate our 33rd anniversary in sept,so I'm done buying for the year,I only want a scope or two and thats itDrop-Shot

#11 ·
Re: re: new rifle caliber

Drop-Shot said:
so I'm done buying for the year,I only want a scope or two and thats itDrop-Shot

Yea,that's what we all say,but then it's not long before another one somehow follows us home. :wink:

As far as rifle caliber:

Over the counter~30-06

Custom~how about a 338-06.Not more powder,but a bigger bullet.

#12 ·
hey 42 210 how do you know me so well?Mabe we all have a bad past and no future?I don't know ,I looked at a new gun today and have this urge help me stop I can't stop on my own.I wanteven get to buying a scope like this,how do you cure it?Drop=Shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.