New Rifle Shooter Needs help

Discussion in 'Bolt Action' started by Nullshock, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Nullshock

Nullshock Guest

So I will be picking up a rifle sometime in the near future because I have just found the wonders of shooting. As for rifles, I havent actually picked any up, but from comparing I like the looks of the Browning A-Bolt, the Remington 700, the Weatherby Vanguard, the Winchester Model 70. I will be using it for target shooting, deer hunting, perhaps if I can get a moose tag I will go up to Maine, and pretty much anything that I can get short of a bear. I live up in the north east for reference, so more than likely my shorts will be in the order of less than 200 yards, but I wouldnt rule out the though of a hunting excursion to an area where 300 yard shots could be found. As far as caliber, what should I be looking for? The ones that I have run across that dont look so bad are the 7mm Remington magnum, the .308 Winchester, the .300 Winchester magnum, and the .30-06 Springfield. I believe those are best suited for my needs, and all the ammo I will be shooting will be hand loaded just in case its an issue. I was thinking of scoping it with a Leupold VX-I 3-9x 40mm. Any tips or suggestions as to how this all sounds would be great. As I said I am very new to all of this, so work with me and try and keep your explanations or suggestions as simple as possible. Thanks.
    Tim

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Null,

You can't go wrong with the 06. It'll do most anything you want. Components for reloading are plentiful and if you need to buy some,they're everywhere. Hope this helps!

Oh yeah,Welcome to ShootingWorld !!

HWD

3. grimel

grimel Guest

If you can't do it with a 30-06 in the lower 48, you don't need to be doing it!

This is a telling statement:"So I will be picking up a rifle sometime in the near future because I have just found the wonders of shooting. "

If that means you haven't done much shooting with anything, I'd be apt to suggest a bit different approach - 308. It's 95.97% of a 30-06 while being easier to reload (IMO) with reduced loads. Being new to rifles (possibly all shooting) you need to spend a LOT of time with reduced loads. I mean a LOT of time. Get a standard weight (8-8.5lb scoped) rifle. Worry about light wt later. Right now you need basics and a standard wt rifle is just easier to shoot well.

Nothing wrong with a 30-06, and I'd still be inclined to buy it over a 308. Even though if Ruger made a LH short action 308 I'd be in line to buy one for a specific general purpose rifle.

This is a recent thread on the old 30-06.

https://www.shootingworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=624

4. Nullshock

Nullshock Guest

That is the thing though, I havent done much shooting as to this point because it is kind of hard without a firearms ID or a gun. Only times that I have shot were at Boyscout camp and that consisted of a shotgun and a .22. However once my ID comes through in probably a couple of weeks my father will be taking me down to our local range. He has an older 1973 or 74 winchester model 70 chambered in .30-06. I will get in many rounds with that because no one else in my family owns a rifle, and I assume by the time I have saved up enough money for a rifle I will have many rounds through the .30-06. I was leaning towards it because everyone says that they can shoot most anything on this continent and its a great gun to have. I dont know though, so that is where you guys come in. Keep them coming please, this is very helpful.
    Tim

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Nullshock,

Listen to all these guys. They are telling you like it is and you can't go wrong with the 30-06. It is well respected all over the world...Europe, South America, and Africa...that should tell you something.

I tend to like the Ruger 77 WITH SIGHTS, and your choice of scope is just right, IMHO! :D I have over 20 different rifle calibers, but 4 out of 5 times I pick out my very old pre war Winchester Mdl 70 in 30-06 with a 3X9 variable scope on it for my most important hunts. This particular rifle has never let me down; I love the '06! :!:

Welcome and Regards,
    luv2safari

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

The advice given above is very sound for a first rifle. While this can be a subjective thing, try out your dad's 30-06 and see if the recoil bothers you or not bearing in mind that the 7 mag is a tad more stiff and the 300 is a lot further up the chart. Recoil may influence your decision since a rifle that "kicks" too hard can be ruinous wrt accuracy for most shooters.

Don't worry, you now have the "bug" and it won't be that long before you are looking around to add some new rifles to keep your first one company and then there are shotguns .... :)

Safe shooting.

7. WyoHunter

WyoHunter Guest

I own both a 7MM Rem mag and a .30-'06. Both are excellent cartridges and similar in recoil although the 7MM has a bit more recoil. Either one is sufficient for moose and deer and you can reload for reduced loads that won't bang you around while practicing. The number one consideration while hunting is shot placement irregardless of caliber or cartridge. Learn to shoot it with confidence and the rest will be history! :wink:

8. grimel

grimel Guest

Don't forget a good 22lr. SUPER cheap to shoot. Everyone smiles shooting a good 22.

9. wired

wired Guest

I'm with him. If you don't get a .22LR to start with, it should be high on the list for the ALWAYS PRESENT "next rifle". Now that you're hooked, you're stuck. You're going to spend insane amounts of money, time, and effort in a hobby that will leave you battered, bruised...... and the happiest man alive. Welcome to the world of shooting!

The .22LR belongs in everybody's cabinet in one form or another. You can shoot the thing from sunrise to sunset for a couple of bucks, and your shoulder won't know the difference the next morning. Good for hunting small game, and it's unbeatable for plinking and teaching the next generation of firearm addicts. You'd be surprised at the difference in quality of a lot of .22 firearms.

I would have to agree with most of the people here on the .308 Winchester for a first rifle. It's pretty similar to the old -06. Just about as capable (not a lot of difference at all), but the recoil is less. Recoil is a major factor, ESPECIALLY when you're new. We were all new to this at one point, and the quickest thing to discourage a new shooter is a rifle that leaves your shoulder black and blue for a week after one shot. If that -06 of your dad's beats you up a bit much for your taste, you could go for something a bit smaller, in the 6mm range. Typically good for stuff up to deer-sized game, and the recoil is pretty enjoyable. Keep the rifle nice and tight in your shoulder pocket and against your cheek, let your body rock with the recoil, and recoil is not as big a factor.

As far as the rifle, there's only so much help we can give you. Any technical advice on just about any rifle can be found here. Picking which one is for you is mostly personal preference. We can give suggestions, but ultimately which rifle you buy should boil down to what feels best in your hands.

10. 270 shooter

270 shooter Guest

I'm a little late throwing my opinion into the hat, but i have to agree with everyone else. The 30-06 is perfect for everthing in North America. Ammo is plentiful, especially if you are going to handload. The rifles you mentioned are all good in their own right. The question is, which one shoulders the best, and meets your finances? Don't over look the newer Savage, especially with their Accu-trigger. It's a peach of a gun and a good shooter right out of the box. They even throw in a sling. Rifle/ Scope combos are offered as well although I have never been impressed with the low end Simmons scopes. I also recommend you get a lot of practice time with a smaller caliber like a .22. This will prevent you from creating bad shooting habits. Besides, it's a cheap fun gun to shoot, and every rifle man should own one. For accuracy, look for a bolt action. If you want an ammo burner, the 10-22 Ruger can't be beat. You can get one a Wally World, ( Wallmart ) for $169 bucks! Can't beat that, aye?

11. Jrboltaction

Jrboltaction Guest

Hey Null,

this is great! you popped into the right spot to get setup to buy your first deer rifle, and that is great you reload. just listen and take notes from the fellows who replied . [But not limited too.]

And I'am with the majority here I think when I say " you'll be best off with a 30-06." And if you some how fell the need for a BIGGER gun later. At least by then that means deer have evolved to a size average of 200lbs heavier.

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Nullshock I agree with the 30/06,just pick each gun you mentioned and see which one feels best.I think that has already been said but what I wanted to say is buy some hand weights,I use 7 lb weights.I have two,hold them out like holding a rifle and work up to being able to hold them steady.You can be the strongest person around but if you don't train and build those muscles you will have the crosshairs dancing around while taking the shot of a lifetime.I used to start practiceing in the summer to be ready for the fall,but now I do them all year just to keep in shooting shape.I went to the range a week ago and shot the 44 mag pistol and I was able to shoot decent groups cause I hold the weights out in front of me for hand gun shooting and for rifle shooting I hold the 7 lb weight out with my left hand and 1 foot in front of my chest for the right hand just to stay in shooting shape.Besides good rifle fit and good optics,thats the next important thing for me.Drop-Shot

13. mak48

mak48 Guest

If you can handle it, get the 06. I have mine in a 2004 ruger m77 mkII and I love it. Out of the box with federal ammunition it shoots M.O.A. and now all other rifles sit in the closet for maine and new york dear season. leupold makes a good scope too. I wouldnt buy another browning bolt action though, my old a bolt 2 worked ok on the range but failed to fire on a few deer in the field because the it just didnt cock right. i dont know maybe it was me but i gave up on it. Remington and winchester are fine too, but my rifle from now on is ruger. but most importantly choose what fits you best
    Good Luck