Shooting World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:p I recently replaced my late and now burried Ruger RSM in 416 Rigby. I found a CZ 550 American 416 Rigby with upgraded wood NIB on the internet for only $619.99 + $20.00 shipping. Since I had that much worth of ammo and components sitting around, it made sense to buy the rifle...didn't it? I needed to buy the rifle, didn't I? I would have been foolish to pass it up, huh? Everyone needs at least one, don't they......... :?: :oops:

(Sombody help that poor man!)

Well, anyway, I loaded up some of my coyote loads...Speer Mag tip 350 grainers at 2,700 fps. I need opinions as to whether these are adaquate for fully grown 'yotes. :?: :eek:

· Registered
143 Posts
luv2safari said:
Well, anyway, I loaded up some of my coyote loads...Speer Mag tip 350 grainers at 2,700 fps. I need opinions as to whether these are adaquate for fully grown 'yotes. :?: :eek:
i don't know, that sounds a little light for coyotes... i'd upgrade to a .700 NE as soon as possible :lol:

· Premium Member
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Naaaahhhh...I tried a 600 NE once, and all I found was a nose and tail... :? Besides, the 700 gets a bit over budget to shoot at $145.00 per shot. :shock: :shock: (I have run across some bargain 700 ammo for only $95.00/round...must be reloads :idea: )

Maybe I'll just upgrade to 410 Woodleigh softs, backed up by 410 solids for a charge stopper. 8)

· Registered
72 Posts
You would have been silly to pass a deal like that, very good buy I reckon (feel better now :lol: ).

As for hunting those funny looking dog-like things you get over there, 700 Nitro is a bit slow IMO, your 350 grainers sound a bit light. Hmmm maybe time for a bit of wildcatting, maybe 700 nitro necked down to 416 with a heaver bullet? :lol: , that should do the job with no worrys about picking up the bits (no bit's to pick up).

· Registered
1,427 Posts
Your reasoning for the purchase was totally justified; I replaced the Savage .223 I recently bought (to replace an earlier 700) with another Remington 700 ADL on the basis I had a set of $8 Weaver scope bases for the 700 sitting on the bench.
I am not sure about your coyote load, I am of the Jack O'Connor/Roy Weatherby school of thought that velocity is needed for good killing rather than the Elmer Keith theory of bullet mass. That bullet is moving so slow you would have to catch a song dog in a coma otherwise it would out run the bullet prior to its getting there. That's providing you were close enough that the bullet could make it there. Get with the 20th Century and use a .416 Page Superpooper or a .416 Weatherby Akley double Improved with a 60/90 degree convexed/concaved shoulder instead of a modified slingshot.

· Registered
583 Posts
King Solomon would be proud of the astute and penetrating logic proffered :wink: Come to think of it ya all just gave me an idea on how to get rid of some 22 mag ammo I have on the shelf, seeing as I have the ammo but no rifle, it would be a shame not to get a new 22 mag would it not?

Luv2, I am somewhat envious as the CZ is a nice rifle, one of those in 6.5mm or 7mm is on my wish list.

· Registered
72 Posts
I tend to buy ammo due to liking the box or not having that caliber in my collection then need a gun to fire it :lol: , buying a gun to use ammo you have sitting around is logic no person of sound mind could disagree with (exept a girlfriend/wife 8) ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.