next rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by wired, Sep 22, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

Yes, I'm prepped up for the ubiquitous "next rifle". For those that don't know, my rifles have been thinned down to my .22LR, my .308, and a couple of 7.62X54Rs. After some research, and after looking at what all I do with my rifles, I've pretty much decided on getting [drum roll, please]:

CZ 550FS chambered for 6.5X55 SE

Thoughts?

2. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Good Choice,

I have been drooling over a Ruger compact in .260 Remington, which is the ballistic twin of the Swede.

3. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D

L2S

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

What are the uses of the new rig? Hunting, target shooting, etc? Heard lots of good things about CZ so no matter what you are using it 'fer, should work just fine.

5. wired

wired Guest

Mostly hunting. Biggest thing I'd go for would be deer or black bear. I've heard of a lot of people having good results on stuff the size of caribou, but I'd probably use my .308 for something like that. It would probably see more action against things the size of coyotes and feral pigs. I'd probably do some target shooting with it, mostly just to stay familiarized with it for hunting. I've heard the Swede is really accurate, so it would probably do pretty well for some occasional target/plinking work.

I've had a lot of good luck with CZ rimfires, and I've been drooling over their bigger rifles for a while now.

6. gator

gator Guest

:wink: Excellent!!! Thats the very model I have on my "Next" shortlist. Pleeease let us know how it shoots.

7. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

That would be my first choice.

8. wired

wired Guest

I know that the Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight is also made in that caliber, and that a lot of people like it. After all, the 70 is "the rifleman's rifle", right? Any opinions?

I checked the shop for pricing and availability on the 550FS. When I told him what caliber, his eyes lit up as if a dozen nude supermodels had walked into his shop. Funny guy, which is half the reason I've always liked doing business with him. Anyway, he checked his books, and I can get one for $580 brand new. I can't wait to get this rifle! I'll probably mount a compact Burris or Leupold on it. The smaller and lighter, the better. This is gonna be a light, trim rifle for some very enjoyable (and hopefully very successful) days in the field.

9. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Will you have it in time for the November gun season?

10. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: next rifle

With any luck, hopefully. I would buy it right now, but I'm trying to get that card paid off :lol: . Maybe in the next paycheck or two I'll find room in the budget for the thing. Here in MO, gun season is year-round, as we have a lot of critters we can legally hunt with them.. I'm assuming you mean the firearm deer season?

11. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

Wired,

Keep us posted, always been fond of the calibers that are not as popular, I'm betting handloading that thing would make some serious medicine for many types of animals. Any chance you'll be getting set up for it?

TXVA

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

With a 3X9 compact Loopy...WOW!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think you just cost me next week's wages... :evil: :evil:

Use that 6.5 with 140's for caribou; it would be perfect...absolutely perfect... Now...if I don't pay the house insurance, sell the wife's rings, let the dogs starve, rent out the kids' rooms...YEP! I can do it!! :D

L2S

13. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: next rifle

Depends on what you mean by "getting set up for it". If you mean reloading gear, hell yeah I'll be getting set up for it. I'll probably have the reloading gear for it before I have the rifle. I'll probably have to get a new press for my .308 anyway. That Lee Classic works like a charm for spitzers and spire points, but I don't think it's going to work as well for rounded bullets, which I'm going to be switching to as soon as I run out of Hornaday SPs.

Yeah, luv2, it'll be a sweet rig when I finally get it, scope it, and sling it. I've got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach that I won't be shooting my .308 nearly as much once I get this thing, even though I love that rifle. I'll save figuring out which loads to go for until I get the thing and shoot it a bit (saving up brass like a madman all the while). I'm getting all excited about this new rifle already.

14. TXVAshooter

TXVAshooter Guest

yep, that's what i meant.