nikon scopes

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by craigc, Mar 31, 2005.

1. craigc

craigc Guest

good or bad?? i am either gunna get a 3x9x40 or a 3x9x50 i dunno which 1 yet probably the 3x9x40 cause its almost 100 cheaper. i think they also have a lifetime warrenty. is there any other scopes i should look at?

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

Get the Monarch if your going to get a Nikon.Leopuld would be another one to look at, and Sightron also.......

3. mapanggulo

mapanggulo Well-Known Member

Another company that makes some very good scopes but aren't as well know is ATN (American Technology Network) Corporation...check them out too.

http://www.atncorp.com/

My buddy has two of their scopes...one mounted on his AR-10 and the other on a Savage .223. I've shot the savage and can say that they make a very sweet scope.

4. craigc

craigc Guest

i was looking at the buckmasters series. whats better about the monarch series?? is 3x9x50 or x40 a good choice for shots ranging from say 0-300?

5. gator

gator Guest

I believe the Buckmasters scopes are 2 piece tubes which would be a cheaper and weaker style. The lenses are most likely going to reflect the price difference versus the Monarch line as well. The Monarch line probably has a much better lense coating system which would allow more light gathering ability and a sharper image. Finally, there may well be a difference with the internal reticle adjustments.Even with these differences it doesn't always mean the cheaper one is junk.

Most optics companies have more than one line of scopes representing different quality levels similar to those mentioned. Sometimes, depending on the firearm, intended use, and naturally your budget, the lesser expensive scopes may be the right fit.

Gator

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

craigc get the best you can afford.I personally know I cannot buy the scopes I like,being on disability means living on alot less.I have many scopes and a couple are leupold varix-lll 3-9X40,the others are varixll and the cheapest line.I use the cheaper scopes as I would any other and they work,well I might say.Nikon makes a good scope,have you checked on a fixed scope?My brother in law uses a burris 6x40 and loves it.He got it used for 90.00,look at sightron also,that atn scope is used by police and some military,they are leaders in night vision optics,they have night vision scopes down pat,I don't know their prices but get the best you can afford.Drop-Shot

7. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

i like leupold scopes they are the only ones id buy i do have a redfield that came on a rifle i bought thats pretty nice. now to deciding on 50mm or 40mm objective it all depends on when you will take most of ur shots 40mm is a pretty good all around size but the 50mm will give you a little extra edge in low light. is it worth the 100$? thats somethin only u can decide it wasnt for my .270 but it was for my 300 win mag that went to alaska i even spent the extra for the adjustable objective. if it were me unless i was spendin alot of money and goin somewhere for a hunt i would stick w/ the 40 they are also a little more compact and weigh less so thats another thing to consider if your hunting in heavy cover or are trying to shave a little extra weight for a real lightweight rig . so for me it would be 40 but it all depends what ur doin.

Aaron

8. craigc

craigc Guest

my choice is a nikon buckmaster 3-9x50 or a leupold rifleman 3-9x50. i dunno which 1 to pick..

9. wwb

wwb Super Member

To each his own.... I'd get a 40mm (or maybe even a 32mm) objective for a hunting rifle, and leave the 50mm glass for the varmint/target guns.

The 50mm glass is HUGE, and has to be mounted on taller rings, which almost invariably puts the scope in an unnatural position for quick target acquisition. Also, the taller rings are less robust than shorter ones, and it takes less of a bump to lose your zero.

Somebody earlier in the thread said some thing about an adjustable objective..... NO! NO! NO! That is STRICTLY for varmint/target guns. You don't want to have to dial in the yardage and focus your scope before you take the shot in a hunting situation, when your window of opportunity may be a second or two.

10. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

I think you have it right, wwb, the only thing for me personally is that as the years are going by, I appreciate the light gathering of the 40mm versus 32mm I know it doesn't sound like much, but I put a new Leupold 3x9x40 VX-III up against my old Redfield 3x9x32 widefield and it seemed about 3 times brighter to me. What a difference those 8mm and 30 years in scope technology make!

11. craigc

craigc Guest

ill look into the leupolds more... about how much do they run? are they alot better than nikon?

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

craigc,I have several leupolds and they are my favorite.I own the cheapest at arount 200.00 to the varixll and varixlll.All are 32mm - 40mm.I want my scope as low on the rifle as possible so prefer the lower mm scopes.My blr wears a 2-7x32mm vxll and I have very fast target aquisition.All others have 3-9x40.They have a lifetime warrenty and are hand made in Bend Oregon.There are other good scopes out there,nikon monarch,burris,too many to list.I like the fact that leupolds are all american made and lifetime warrenty.Look at them all and you pick a favorite,you will know it when you pick it up and look through it.Good hunting buddy.Drop-Shot

13. nicolisd

nicolisd Guest

I have had two Nikon Monarchs that have sat upon 4 rifles in the last couple of years and have harvested many whitetail with them. I have hunted with a Leupold VarX II and VarX III. The VarX III seems to be on the same page with the Monarch as light gathering capibilites and performance go.

Don't no much about non-hunting performance (range stuff), but both are great scopes and are within 2-3% lightgatherings of the big name scopes, Zesis and such.

:!: :!: :!: HOWEVER :!: :!: :!:

I can not stress enough the importance of having a good scope. You can buy a Savage for $3-400 and put a good scope on it and get the same hunting and range performance out of it as you would a Rem, Brown, Ruger, Win etc. BUT, buy a cheap scope and you might incounter floating zeros and WILL be robbed of daylight!