Northeastern US Moose Rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by harold50, Jan 7, 2005.

1. harold50

harold50 Guest

Here’s a topic for people with opinions. Since this could happen to me, I’d be interested to know what you other experienced shooters would do. :roll:

Scenario:

You’ve had the good fortune to win the moose lottery in the north woods of Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine. Each state has northern areas where, if your not paying attention, you’ll walk 20 miles or more without crossing a road and be in Quebec. In Vermont you’re allowed an armed buddy to assist.

You’ll spend the day in spruce thickets with boggy footing, or perhaps in the brush on the edge of a clear-cut or in the mixed woods (pine and birch and maple – beech) near the wet. There’ll be lots of VW sized boulders laying around that have been dropped by the last glacier. You’ll walk all day to find the moose but it will probably not be startled when you do maybe find it. Longest likely shot is 175 yards. Animal will likely be much closer.

Pick a firearm and choose/create your load. All are scoped except the .303, the 30-30, and the 870.
    Here are your choices from your gunsafe and a friend’s:

Remington 700 ADL .270
    Savage 99 .308
    Win. 94 30-30
    Model 38 Mauser 6.5x55 Swede
    Model 70 25 WSSM Super Stealth
    Remington 742 rifle 30-06
    Ruger semi-auto carbine 44 Mag.

Enfield SMLE III mk I .303, British Military Issue
    SPFD 03-A3 ( 30-06) Sporterized
    Mauser G33-40 8x57 Sporterized

Remington 870 12 gauge

Have some fun with this!

Best wishes, Harold

2. wired

wired Guest

If the scopes were very low powered (2X or 3X), I'd go with either the -06, the .308, or the Mauser. I'd probably end up going for the .303 because at the ranges you're indicating and the way you'd end up finding one of those rather large animals, the iron sights would probably be the way to go. In case you couldn't tell, I mainly lean more old-school.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not Fair

You have to put a lever action 45-70 or 450 Marlin in there !!!!

BigBear

4. Moose are big animals. I don't know if any of those would be very good moose guns. But then again I've never hunted moose.

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I never drew a moose tag in Montana but I hunted with friends that have.1 was a remington 700 in 280,another was a 30/06(huge animal),7mm mag,300 win mag.All hunters were well trained by shooting all year long at shooting ranges.All were experienced hunters,I was healthy and helped in bringing parts out,you don't quarter a moose,they are all heavy animals and require good bullets to do their part.I plan on putting in for a moose tag when I get back and one day I will score.I plan on putting that 338 win mag to work if I get a tag.Drop-Shot

6. njbowhntr

njbowhntr Guest

I would go with the .30-06. If you want to shoot a factory load you can shoot a hot load by any of the big 3: Remington, Federal or Winchestr. I would recommend the 180gr Winchester Fail Safe or the Federal 180gr Barnes X. With either of these factory loads you will be holding about 2200 ft/lbs of energy at 200yards. If you are going to reload you could go up to a 200 or 220 gr bullets. It is a big tough animal, that is why I would go with a hollow-point that has very good expansion with high weight retention.

7. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Any, 30 caliber rifle loaded loaded with a good Nosler Accubond bullet weighing around 165 grains and pushed to say 2600 fps or more will do just fine.

You can use that 303, or the Savage 99 in 308, which I also have and would use in your case as they are easy to carry. Any 30/06 will do fine too.

The bullet is the important thing, up to a point. You can go too small. But you want a bullet that won't explode on the surface. It needs to open up no more than twice it's caliber and keep enough of it's body to penetrate into the vitals. If you use the Nosler bullet you'll find that it expanded to a nice mushroom and it'll be just under the skin on the far side of the beast.

8. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I haven't seen that they are real hard to kill but I have seen shot placement is important,they get a little mad when wounded and can move fast.Drop-Shot

9. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

Right! As in all game shooting; you've got to hit them in the right spot with the right bullet driven fast enough to let it expand and drive deeply into the vitals.

10. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

This is my third attempt to post on this thread, hopefully it goes through.
    Of the guns you mention, any of the 30/06s with 180 gr bullets like Partitions, Fail Safes, Xs, etc. would be my first choice, hands down. The 270, 308, and 8x57 with equivalent bullets would be second choices. The other calibers would not recieve a coonsideration due to poor ballistics, bullet availability, and/or penetration. Moose are big animals, a quantum leap above deer in size, muscle mass, bone structure, and mental density. As stated above, moose are not hard to kill but it takes a bit for them to realize they are dead. In that lag, they have a tendency to wander deeper into the brush or bog or, worse yet, into the water. The first two aren't too bad, you don't have to contend with grizzlies. The last is a real pain; one does not want to dress out a moose while standing in water up to your hips, trust me. Of the 12-15 moose I've seen taken, all but two have been taken with a 30/06, 300 mag, or 7mm mag. Three of the moose were shot more than once, one of which was mine and that was because it didn't even twitch at the hit. Since permits don't come by every season, use the gun/cartridge that will hinder you the least otherwise expect greatly decreased odds of filling the tag or increased risk of wounding and losing an animal.

11. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I reckon I'll have to go with the 06 in the sporterized 03a3. As stated above, I'd definitely want a premium bullet.Those critters are BIG and probably could soak up lots of lead before deciding to lay down and shut up.

Now,if I could just figure out how to finance the trip and be lucky enough to draw a tag,I'd be sure to give ya'll any info that I could learn. HAHA

HWD

12. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

HWD I have killed 15 elk with a 30/06 and only one required a second shot.I plan on hunting elk again some day and I put in for a cow tag when I can,I had 9 set of elk antlers before they came up missing.Most of my shots were within 200 yards,one measured 388 yards by a game warden,seems the elk knew where the Indian resavation started and was short of his destination.Point is the 30/06 will take elk if the shooters do their part.Nosler partitions caused the insides to turn to jello at almost all distances.I am curious about the accubond by nosler and hornadys super shock bullet.I have killed deer with all kinds of rounds but muleys require more than the 243,so I'm thinking of 270 or 7mm08.Drop-Shot

13. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

I'm a fan of the 03A3. Mine is absolutely mint, military. I like it though. A little bit hefty, but not that bad. I don't scope mine. I just shoot it through those old sights. Triggers are two stage but okay after you pull the slack out of them.

I love those Noslers. The Accubond is new and they consider it a replacement for the Partition, I think. You can get either and both work. For a moose I think I'd take the Partition. Use the 165 grainer.

14. wired

wired Guest

Sorry, but I gotta be picky. I had a few VERY picky physics professors (like there's any other kind....). A quantum leap is a very, very, microscopically SMALL leap. Anyhoo, that concludes the physics lesson for today. Stick with the .30-06 and you'll be fine.

15. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

wired,
    No problem on being picky but outside of physics, a quantum is merely a quantity or amount that may or may not be specified. In this same context, a quantum leap is defined as a great and sudden change. I've had a picky physics prof who (or is it whom? I often forget) had a masters in English too. Papers for him were a real PITA, I lived, breathed, and partied with a Webster's Unabridged Dictionary at hand.

16. Logjam

Logjam Super Member

But if you apply the String Theory it says............... :roll:

17. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

This is an easy one...

1. 30-06 loaded at 2750 FPS with Nosler 200 gr Partition
    2. 8X57s loaded with 200 gr Nosler Partition at 2690 FPS
    3. No. 1 and No. 2 are far better than all the rest... :wink:

Moose ARE tough and BIG; they require a bigger, heavier bullet that holds up upon impact and carries well through the animal. :)

18. harold50

harold50 Guest

I'm enjoying this - thanks everyone.

A good friend of mine shot his moose this year with a .300 Savage in an old Remington 760 with a 2.5x scope and 180 gr. factory core-lokts.

Shot it at @65 yards. :shock: Shot at the lungs and the moose turned around. :shock: Shot again at the lungs and the moose...did nothing. :shock: Shot again at the neck and the moose fell. :mrgreen: Results?

A decent eastern bull with a hole in each side just behind the front legs and a hole in the neck. The moose was dead and didn't know it when my friend fired the second and third time. It was on my mind when I asked this question.

The 8x57 in question has an 18.5 inch barrel and the 03-A3 has a 24'. Golly, is that Springfield heavy lugging after a day hunting deer. Carrying weight is why I bought the .270, then the 8mm, then for lighter weight and more reach over the 8mm I bought the 25 WSSM. You know, that 99 in .308...?

Best wishes, Harold

19. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Hey logjam,I'm a believer in the string theory.We know God exists and thousands of angels but where are they?We can see farther than we can travel in 50 years,and yet angels are all around,the good and bad.They just change dimensions.In a parallel universe I could be standing in a field.There is more than 3 dimensions.Angels just change dimensions to help us and change back.The thread theory,or string theory has believers and non-believers.Drop-Shot

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Yes I believe in multidementionalezim and a quantom leap is how far my wife can jump on my back at the thought of getting a new gun.Us country boys has some knowledge but what has always been will always be,some have more than others.Drop-Shot