one gun for everything

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by mike .308, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

If you were to pick one gun for any type of game you might encounter, what would it be?

2. 8pointduck

8pointduck Super Member

:shock: WHAT!!!!! ARE YOU CRAZY. There is no such thing

3. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

375 H&H magnum. I have occasion to run into a brown bear every year and with a shoddy big cat rescue shelter nearby (less than 7 miles) and three buffalo ranches, the potential for large, possibly dangerous, targets is high. It can and has taken everything that currently walks this earth and will likely be able to do so in the foreseeable future. Ammo is relatively inexpensive, readily available, recoil on the high side of moderate, and the cool factor of the ammo is pretty high. Ammo selection is very broad and the 270 gr pointed bullets have much the same trajectory as a 30/06 with 180 gr bullets. Even flatter trajectories can be achieved with 235-260 gr bullets. For a really good deer and black bear load one can use the 200 and 220 gr bullets meant for the 375 Winchester. Loaded down to the 1700-2000 fps range these hardly kick at all, I think it is less than many 30/30s with 170 gr bullets. That I also have dreams and expectation of making it to Africa for buffalo and lion yet is a factor also.

4. wired

wired Guest

For an all-around-the-world rifle, I'd have to agree with uglydog. There's not a lot you can't do with the .375H&H, other than bring home squirrel meat and shoot all day long for a couple of bucks.

If you don't have the brown bear and big cat problem, and have no intention of going after large and dangerous game of those types, then I'd have to put my vote in for the good ol' .30-06. It has about 100 years of success behind it as an all-around cartridge. There aren't many cartridges cheaper than the -06, it has about the biggest selection of bullets you could hope to have, and factory ammo can be found for it anywhere you can find factory ammo.

Short story - if you have a .30-06 and a .22LR, you can hunt almost anything on the face of the planet successfully. Fortunately, we have the ability to have more than those two at our disposal.

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I agree most whole heartily with the last post, I only own a 30-06 and a .22lr at the moment, and I feel as if I have all my bases covered.

Only thing I can see myself getting next rifle wise is a .50 BMG for those kevlar wearing kodiaks that roam the southern california deserts :lol: jk.

In all seriousness, 30-06 will prolly do the best. You can kill anything on the continent with the right load. Even jackrabbits and squirls if you use a low fps load and a solid non-expanding round. Squirl you have to hit em in the head cause if you want to eat it there ain't much left if you hit them some where else.

BTW anyone have a good squirel recipie? So far I've stuck to stewing them. Can't go wrong with a stew. :D

6. wired

wired Guest

With a .22LR and a .30-06, you could go one of two ways. You could either shoot for the middle if you hunted smaller game, or if you hunted bigger stuff, go with a .35-ish caliber. Or get both and have ALL your bases covered :D .

As for squirrel recipes, I have a book with a lot of them. One of my buddies likes to take a whole squirrel, toss it on a charcoal grill, and fill the body cavity with beer.

7. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Could you get me the title & author of that cook book that you have? It would be greatly appreciated

8. wired

wired Guest

Well, it's written by Cy Littlebee, and as far as I'm aware, it's only available through the Missouri Department of Conservation. You might check the website and see if you can get it there. It's got recipes for all of the wild game Missouri has a season for. It also has stuff for all the fish you can catch in Missouri, along with some of the local plants and mushrooms. 3 dollars for all that.

9. grimel

grimel Guest

bread the squirrel and fry to golden brown AFTER soaking overnight in salt water.

Or bake it.

10. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

THANKS MUCH FOR THE COOKBOOK INFO! :D

11. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: one gun for everything

Found it, did ya? I did a quick search after my post and found that it's actually pretty easy to come by. It's well worth the money, and it's fun to read. You'd swear it was written by a Missouri hillbilly. We've got our fair share of unique hillbillies around here.

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

There sure is such a thing...a drilling in double 12ga and 9.3X74R with a 22 magnum insert barrel for the right shotgun chamber. Add a good variable scope in claw mounts, and you can now hunt anything in the world that is presently hunted. :idea: The front trigger would be a set trigger for exacting shots. 8)

The Germans are a practical people... :wink:

13. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

That would be interesting to see... double barrel frankenstien.

14. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

I have several, and all are works of art by some of Austria's and Germany's finest craftsmen. They are anything but "monsters". 8)

Go to some gun auction sites and look at these monsters... :shock: Try GunsAmerica on your search engine and open "Drillings"...

15. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

3.5" 12 gauge shotgun. shot for birds and small game, slugs for larger

16. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

That would do most everything within about 80+ yards and possibly to 100... :D

17. Maser

Maser Super Member

how bout an encore rifle that has 3 different barrels (1 shotgun barrel, 1 .22 lr barrel, 1 .30-06 barrel) lol that should cover most all game