Options in .308

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by Sponxx, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Sponxx

Sponxx Well-Known Member

I want a .308 for deer hunting, i was considering a Remmy 700 ADL .308win vs the CZ 550 American. Which one do you consider best or should i take other things in consideration? those are the best options i have for buying here in Peru

2. wired

wired Guest

Personally, I like the CZ rifles, so that's what I'd go with. Remy has lived up to their reputation time and time again as well. Either one will do the thing for ya. Play with them in the shop a bit and buy the one that talks to you.

3. Sponxx

Sponxx Well-Known Member

Again, i will have to know what they offer at the store, if mounts, and other accesories and the prices on each. However what troubles me a little is the fact that they are offering the 700 ADL when it is off the remington website. Does anyone know if they still makr those rifles for overseas? (im in Peru)

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Sponxx,

The ADL uses the same action as the other Rem 700's and barrels are pretty much barrels. If the stock becomes an issue for some reason, there are a lot of good replacements available in the aftermarket. If the ADL is what you want, no reason at all not to go for it since, in the unlikely event something breaks, parts will be available to get it repaired. I've had a 700 ADL for 30 years and the only thing I have had to replace was the firing pin spring which is common in bolt rifles after enough use and time has elapsed.

BTW, what do you hunt/shoot in Peru?

5. Sponxx

Sponxx Well-Known Member

MountainView, I have no problem whatsoever on getting the ADL, my question was if there was a reason for taking it off the market on the US. the store where i plan to buy it has it advertised, however it may be another version of the 700, ill let you know when i visit the store. (the link is http://www.armeriaeagles.com/home.html and there u have "carabinas") there they offer the different rifles either centerfire of rimfire, i was trying to make a decision between the CZ 550 or the rem 700 ADL. I definitely want it in .308win
    Thanks for the info on the quality of the 700ADL.

Regarding your other question whats is there to hunt in peru? wow, u can hunt almost whatever u want. I'm mainly a shotgunner but like to hunt deer too. you can hunt doves, pigeons, ducks, hares, foxes, turkeys vizcachas (its a sort of wild big rabbit with long curly tail). then for rifles u have red deers (taruka) grey deer, wild donkeys, spectacled bears (though its illegal too shoot them). Pumas, jaguars.
    There is an inmense variety of wildlife for either watching and hunting...

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sponxx I think remington had to drop the ADL line to make room for all the other new models,CDL,SPS,673,titanium,xr-100.The only difference between the BDL and the ADL was the stock,the reciever is the same 700 bolt gun.That ADL would be a good buy,but the CZ 550 is a nice gun too so as mountainview said,pick up both and see how each feel to you.Remington has a great product,I had a 308 ADL for years and it took alot of animals,super round.I sold it make room in my gun safe for the new ones I got,I already miss that 308 ADL.Drop-Shot

7. Sponxx

Sponxx Well-Known Member

DS, thanks for the input. you are all right, the best thing i can do is handle both guns and decide after that. I acknowledge that both are great manufacturers, and feel is what will top my decision at last. i have no idea of the prices yet, but i dont think there will be a major difference. Ill let you know on which i decide at last.

8. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Sponxx,

Sounds like you have some really good hunting opportunities in Peru. The only reason that the ADL was taken off the market was sales were not as good as what Rem Management wanted to see. In that price range, there are a lot of good competitors (Savage has won a lot of customers) and in an effort to try and improve sales of their ADL rifles, Remington "spiffed" up that model.

Safe shooting.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Mountainview I think all american rifle sales are down,just look at how many competitors have entered the rifle industry in the last few years.I sure wouldn't won't remington or winchester stock in my portfolio.The buyer has never had it so good.I agree with pat that rifle makers should reach the market nitch of more accurate rifles,mabe they would cost more but brown precision is making a fortune on the custom rifles in the 3500.00 range.Remington and winchester and ruger has engineers that could do that and keep all factorys open and running and keep all employees paid well.Just my 2 cents worth,and I don't know a thing about marketing.Drop-Shot

10. wired

wired Guest

I'd have to agree on the American rifle sales. It's one of the reasons I just bought my second CZ (for the little lady). I was talking to the guys in the shop, and they were commenting on the fact that the prices had risen on the CZs because they're gaining such popularity due to their accuracy and reliability for such a low price. Them Czechs know how to make a boomstick! Ruger definately has the engineers to catch up, and I would suspect Rem and Win also do. It's all a matter of the price/performance ratio. As soon as they get theirs as low as some of the foreign companies, we'll see a higher percentage of domestic rifles getting sold. It's the same way with cars.

11. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

I like the 700 ADL.