painful story

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by wired, Oct 24, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

I have a friend that just took the hunter safety class so she could hunt with a friend of hers. Well, this girl is the last person I'd expect to take the course, but I'm glad she opened up a little and took it. Her dad is a former Navy guy and is convinced he's the end-all source for firearm information, and a whiz-bang marksman to boot. Whatever. The guy likes to blow smoke. This girl is, of course, sure her father is everything he says he is. When a couple of my firearms-savvy friends tried to help her decide on a good rifle, she waved them off and mentioned that her dad would probably just "get her something" and teach her how to use it.

..... now for the painful part

Getting prepared for her marksmanship training, he pulled out one of the several firearms collecting dust in some closet in their house. It was a Winchester .22LR single shot that was about 100 years old. Whether it was a bolt or break-open or what, I don't know (wasn't there). Apparently, the thing is all rusted out. I just about freakin died when I heard that. Any idea how much something like that would be worth? I know there would be a lot of collector value there, not necessarily from a monetary standpoint, but still a lot of value.

Hopefully my friend gets some wits about her and starts listening to everybody that she should NOT fire the thing in its current condition, no matter what her dad says.

2. asmith5

asmith5 Guest

It probably isn't worth much if it is heavily rusted. I would not risk shooting it without having a qualified professional check it out and perform repairs. Most likely it has more value as a mantel piece. It is sad that people let guns like that go to waste. My 1934 Mossberg Model 20 is in great condition for its age. Unfortunately the trigger is so worn on it that the trigger is way too sensitive and I have not found a replacement part for it.

Andrew

3. wired

wired Guest

Allow me to rephrase, as I know it wouldn't be worth much when covered with rust. About how much would something like that be worth in good condition?

Speaking of spare parts, it would be nice to find some parts for my dad's old Stevens 53D. It's a sweet shooter, but the safety doesn't do anything. Slides back and forth like it's supposed to, but doesn't do anything else.

4. Gunwoman

Gunwoman Guest

A rusty gun? OMG, a woman would never pull a trick like that. :lol:

5. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I didn't welcome you yet gunwomen to our site,welcome and we need your input,please feel free to post anytime you like.My daughter hunted with me all her younger years and I enjoyed it,my memories of our hunts keep me happy,she's married now and her husband don't hunt,but she remembers all the hunts we had in her youth.There are others that hunt with their daughters on this site so you are right at home.Drop-Shot

6. Gunwoman

Gunwoman Guest

Thank you Drop-Shot, I appreciate that. I wasn't sure how a woman would be received on this manly site :wink:

7. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Mainly woman aren't recognized because they don't put there name or woman in there registered user name. But that isn't a bad thing. Welcome anyway Gunwoman.

8. 583

583 Guest

probaly aint worth much i have a winchester .22 single shot bolt made in the 30's if it was new in box its woth maybe $200, mine is missind the screw that holds the barrel to the stock so i put a pipe band around it to keep it on it shoots great but only worth $20, looking to build another but a few of the peices are expensive.