Pistol laws in michigan

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by skog, Mar 2, 2005.

1. skog

skog Guest

My father has a .357 revolver that i want to bring up to school (7 hours away) after spring break to shoot with the pistol club. I am 22 years old. what must be done so i can bring it up here with out breaking the law?

skog

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Skog,
    Do you get on ShotgunWorld? If so there is a link to a site that has the different states listed.There may be something in there to help you. State laws are different than local laws. I'd call the Office of your local District Attorney. They shold be able to provide this info also. Be sure to check Campus rules ,if you live on campus.

HWD

3. BlackIce

BlackIce Guest

4. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

not necessarily black ice I go to ferris and we can have firearms including handguns as long as they are checked into DPS for them to hang on to till we chck them out to use them I did that this year w/ my rifle

Aaron

5. skog

skog Guest

same here but but i live off campus so it is not a prob. Local sheriff said i need to go to an ffl and have my dad "sell/give" me the pistol. Sheriff at home said bring it in and they can transfer it for free. wonder who to believe?

skog

6. claycrusher

claycrusher Guest

As I understand it, the handgun has to be in your name if you are going to transport/ hang on to it. Your local Sheriff can transfer it from your dad's name to yours, often costing little or nothing.

Jonathan

7. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

skog where do u go to school?

Aaron

8. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

Re: re: Pistol laws in michigan

Believe your sherriff at home. There is no need to include an FFL holder.

The steps would be to:
    1. Take the pistol (unloaded and cased of course) to the local police/sherriff station.
    2. Get a purchase permit. This includes taking the test. The police will do the background check right there.
    3. You fill out one (purchaser) part of the permit, your father fills out the other (seller) part. (all in triplicate)
    4. You turn in the required number of copies (Your father should keep a copy)
    5. The police will inspect the gun to make sure it's the one on the permit.
    6. The police will register the gun in your name and give you the green registration card.

Since you will do the transfer right there at the station, they can answer any questions.

The procedure will effectively transfer ownership from your father to you. You are now responsible for that firearm.

See MSP webpage.

9. skog

skog Guest

Thanks guys that is what we ended up doing. I go to school at michigan tech in god country(houghton, mi)

skog

10. B540Glenn

B540Glenn Active Member

Re: re: Pistol laws in michigan

Been there. I love it up there. I'd move back up there, if only there was a way to support the family. :wink:

11. skog

skog Guest

pretty much. I know a guy at the local grocery store that has bagged for 11 years and now makes 7.50/hour but stays because it has health benefits for his family.

skog