Powder doesn't fill the case

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by The_Cook, Sep 17, 2005.

1. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

One thing I noticed with my first reloads (made three days ago, fired yesterday), was that the powder didn't really fill the entire case. They fired fine, and grouped hella lot better than factory, but can I eek alittle more accuracy outta the load by sticking a wad in there? or is that a bad idea? and if I do, what can I use as filler?

2. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Fillers are most commonly used when loading big black powder cases with tiny amounts of smokeless powder. The intent is to hold the powder against the flash hole for consistant ignition. I don't know what your load is, but a filler probably is not needed and could cause dangerously high pressures.

3. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Cool, just making sure :D

4. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

What you can do is investigate different burn rate powders for your cartridge that will keep you in the same pressure-velocity area but cause the case to be filled more. I have found that when you are looking to squeeze out the best accuracy, having the case filled more (but still using a SAFE powder charge) helps. Absolutely consult the powder manufacturers loading data before you do anything, start low and work up to the reccommended load. You may well find that your best accuracy will be at a less than maximum charge.

5. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

Cool beans, just making sure it wasn't one of those pressing issues =)