Pre 64 win vs post 64 win.

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by skog, Feb 7, 2005.

1. skog

skog Guest

Why are the pre-64 winchesters better then the post 64. I am probaly opening a can of worms here but just curious.

skog

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

On the M94, the basic design was changed to allow "modern manufacturing methods" (several stamped parts and looser tolerances on the machined parts).

The M70 was changed at the same time, but I'm not sure what the changes were... all I know is that there is a substantial difference in value between pre '64 and post '64 guns.

The M12 shotgun was dropped and replaced by the M1200 to try and be price-competitive with the 870 Remington (which was generally regarded as a piece of junk when it replaced the M31 in the 1950's).

3. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

Win. did a similar thing with the M70 rifles. It was mostly the bolt - they replaced the controled round feed claw extractor with a push feed like Remington. Less costly to manufacture etc.

4. skog

skog Guest

I see that some of the new M70 have the controled round feed claw extractor. Does this make that the same as the old M70?

skog

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The biggest difference is that after 64 they went to machines doing most of the work. Prior to that there was alot of hand fitting of parts.Winchester could not keep up with Rem while having to pay all the skilled laborers. Also they went to impressed checkering done by machines instead of hand cut checkering, again having to pay skilled laborers.

As far as the new ones I guess machines are better now and tolerances are tighter so it made it feasable to bring back controlled feed. Also market forces made it economically wise.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The pre'64 M-70 was controlled feed, by skilled laborers using Bridgeport milling machines to mill the parts. The new M-70 might be push-feed, controlled feed, or a kind of combination controlled feed / push feed, depending on the exact model, caliber, and so forth.

Is one better than the other? That's subjective. But I'd say that we have manufacturing technoligies that can take out a lot of human error and these technologies -namely computer numerically controlled machining- didn't exist in 1936.

-JP

7. wudjalike2no

wudjalike2no Guest

what ia the difference between push feed and controlled feed?

8. skog

skog Guest

Also i see that all the custom shop guns are made with pre '64 actions. Does this mean that they are actual pre '64 actions or are they made in the same manner as they were in the pre '64 guns?

skog