Shooting World Forums banner

predator call info

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  loveyourmudder 
#1 ·
i'm thinking about getting in to coyote hunting and need help picking an electronic call. I have looked at several on ebay but to be honest I don't know what is a good price, don't really want to get ripped off right away. since i'm just starting i don't want to spend alot of money any help would be great. Thanks

#2 ·
Back when I started out, I used the tape player of the Panasonic Platinum boom box I used as my stereo. It was big, bulky, but something I already had and didn't need to spend money on. I tied a piece of flat 1.5" webbing around the handle to use as a sling to help carry it. I also carried some camouflage netting to hide it under. This, rather than an actual predator call, might be a better option for a newcomer as you can then use the boom box for other purposes if predator calling is something you don't care for. You can also find them in used for pretty cheap; when using electronic callers for snow geese was first allowed, I bought a handful of them (with remotes) at a pawn shop for under $100 total.
I now use several different types; a Preymaster by Johnny Stewart is frequently used as I can fit the player, cord, and speaker in a large cargo pocket. I think they can be found in the $100 range if not cheaper. I also have a field adapter consisting of amp, rechargeable battery, and speaker that allows me to plug in a Discman, or Walkman (probably before your time). I 'm sure they make a similar device for an IPod or other MP3 type player too. This is the route I would suggest to a newcomer as it helps to give more use to the item you fork out a bit of money on. Otherwise, I would watch the Cabela's site for sales in the Bargain Cave and the order one. Better yet, if you can visit a store, you can find even better prices on the returned or damaged box callers in the Bargain Cave. If you go during one of the store promotions, you can get as much as 30% off the purchase.

#3 ·
:lol: mudder, I have used several. right now my favorite is the FoxPro. I had the last one set up to just have calls for coyote and crow. I would contact Foxpro, and tell them your area, and the predators you will be after. They will give you the best options for your area. just buying one off the shelf will probably have call sounds you don't need/ :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.