problem

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by wired, Nov 23, 2005.

1. wired

wired Guest

Well, I've fired a few boxes worth of my reloads. I'm officially hooked. I'm having a bit of a problem with my current batch, though. I stopped after 4 or 5 rounds. I seated the bullets, but they're not seated. When I shake the cartridge, the bullet rattles. It does't go any deeper than the cannelure, but it doesn't come out either. It just goes back and forth, so I'm going to need a bullet puller to get it back out. What might be the cause, other than perhaps some irregularity with the case neck? It's odd that it's doing it on that many of them, I think. Any ideas, reloader guru's?

I'll be investing in some better reloading gear before long, that's for sure.

2. Mule

Mule Well-Known Member

Tell us more.
    caliber
    bullet
    dies
    f.l. or neck sized
    trimmed?
    Do you have a dial caliper?

I went back an read some of your previous posts. I think you are loading .308 Win with a Lee Classic loader.
    After sizing the neck, if the bullet slips in and out of the neck easily, you are not resizing enough, it should be a force fit. You may be able to adjust the crimp for more bullet tension. I have used the Classic only on 45-70 which is a straight walled case. The conditions are differant with a bottleneck case. A full length resize might be needed. It may be time to shop for a press and a set of dies. I have had very good results with the Lee factory Crimp Die.
    Good Luck! Let us know the results.

3. wired

wired Guest

Well, on all the Remington brass I've reloaded, it was a force fit, and the ammo works fine. On the Winchester brass, it started doing this. I haven't trimmed it yet, as it is below the max case length. Yep, I've got a dial caliper.

I figured that's what the problem was, but I figured I'd ask just to make sure. Like I said, looks like I'll be investing in some more serious reloading gear pretty soon.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Wired, until my arthritis kicked in, I used the Classic loader for all my rifles and found it to be almost fool proof. A bit slow but actually a neat little set up for very little money. Then again, once the reloading bug kicks in, I can appreciate wanting to get more and better equipment, it is kind of like shooting where you can never have a small enough group.

Look at the Hornady collet bullet puller when you get a press, a slick little set up that helps salvage those occasional little boo-boos without wasting the components.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Wired,
    It almost sounds like you didn't resize them. If you are using a crimp this would explain the wiggle. Check closely my friend. It's good that you were paying attention!

HWD

6. wired

wired Guest

As was pointed out, it was just resizing the neck, which you'd think wouldn't have given me this problem. Go figure. All the other brass I've reloaded with the Classic has been fine, but this batch has gone weird. The others were Remy brass, and these were Winchester, but that shouldn't make THIS difference.

..... and I ALWAYS pay attention :wink: . I think starting out with the Classic was the way to go, because it makes me go slow and see the process in slow motion.

7. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Dumb question here. The Win brass,was it fired in YOUR rifle prior to necksizing it? I only necksize if it's my brass,that's been fired in MY rifle. Any "pickups" or gimmes get full- length sized before firing. There shouldn't be that much difference between the 2 brass types.

HWD

8. wired

wired Guest

Yup, it was my rifle. Fired factory, prepped the brass, neck sized it, reloaded, and it turned into a baby rattle.

9. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

??????

Only thing I can think of is maybe you didn't use the right die, or using the wrong sized bullet. Honestly if the die is correct and the bullet is correct then it should be a forced fit. only other thing I can think of is you neck wall has thinned out, did you have to trim your shells alot after they were fired?

10. wired

wired Guest

I hadn't even shot that brass twice, so the neck couldn't have been thinned or anything. I was using the right die, because the Lee Classic loader only HAS one die, and I've only got the one box of bullets. I did another batch of the Remy brass last night, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. Beats the hell out of me.

Regardless, the folks treated me to a Lee Classic Cast Press for my Christmas present. They didn't know what else to get me, so they just took me to Cabela's and let me pick a few things out. Lucky me :D . I got that press and a deluxe set of dies for the 6.5 Swede, which I'll be picking up in a month or so. I'm probably giving my .308 to my dad as his Father's Day present this year so he can hunt deer with me later this year. We've gone squirrel/rabbit hunting a lot this year, and we're hoping to get a lot more done next year. With the work schedule I should have this year, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies!

11. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

nooooo give your dad the swede, keep the .308!!!!
    ehehehe

12. wired

wired Guest

Nah. I'm taking the Swede and giving him the .308. After all, I do have 3 Mosin-Nagant rifles that fire the 7.62X54R, which are very similar to the .308. If I ever need something bigger than the Swede, I can always use one of them for now.