progessive presses

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by gator, Jan 22, 2005.

1. gator

gator Guest

This is a question I've been wondering about for awhile.First, I,ve been reloading for 15 years and load for 15 rifle and 7 handgun cartridges using a Rockchucker press :wink: . My question is when using a progressive press, when do you perform the case trimming and primer pocket cleaning tasks as well as the case mouth chamfering. Are you supposed to skip these steps which I consider important or have I missed something. Just an itch that needs scratching. Thanx

2. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

IMHO it is good policy to do all those things, plus cleaning the brass before you start to re-load... :D

3. gator

gator Guest

Thanks L2S, I use a single stage and always clean primer pockets and trim and chamfer if needed, however everything I've seen about progressives seem to not allow for these steps in the reloading process.Maybe someone out there with a progressive can answer. Thx.

4. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

I'm interested in this response too since I'm considering getting one. I'm looking for high ammo output...but I don't want to make a bunch of junky sub-standard ammo.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Most of the guys I know,that use progressive presses,use them exclusively for pistol cartridges. The straight wall cases don't need trimming as often. Cleaning of the primer pockets seems to be a matter of choice with most reloaders. I've watched benchrest shooters reload while at the range and they don't clean, chamfer, lube or do the pockets. Still little tiny groups.

HWD