puting a scope on my new rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by hunter, Aug 9, 2005.

1. hunter

hunter Guest

Im new to rifles and just bought a new 700 BDL in 30-06 and im thinking about putting a scope on it. I was wondering if i'd be better off paying someone to do it for me or if i would be able to do it my self? If i end up doing it my self, i would like some tips if any one had some for me.

2. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I'd let someone else do it. Stand close and watch. Ask questions. That's the way to learn.

Depending on style of mounts you may be able to do this. Some,like Leupold or Burris,require you to twist in the front ring. If you get a little off,you'll put a kink in your scope. Lots of stuff can go wrong. That's why I made the first statement.

HWD

3. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

HWD is right you'd best let a gunsmith do it since there professionals at that kind of stuff.

4. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

Putting a scope on is not too bad even for a beginner IF you are patient, take your time, double check your work before actually doing it. It is basically mounting some screws. But if you are really unsure or happen to be tool-challenged, watch someone or have a reputable smith do it.

I was always hesitant to do such tasks but decided to try it not long ago and followed my own advice the first time I did it. I was gratified that it worked out very well and taught me a whole bunch of things about my rifle to the point that I routinely trouble shoot other folks mounting problems at the range. Trigger work and such, on the other hand is best left to folks who really know what they are doing.

Other tips
    1) have proper tools (a gun rest/vise is right handy) and blue loc-tite (just a dab for the screws holding the bases). Some of the Leupold rings require a special tool (though a dowel rod used with caution in the rings works on these also)
    2) a one inch rod is very useful to make sure the rings are lined up. You can also double check by laying the scope in the bottom half of the rings, if it lays in with little effort, the rings are probably aligned sufficiently.
    3) The most difficult part is leveling the cross-hairs. There are tools out there for this but a bubble level usually does a pretty good cost-effective job.
    4) No need for a fancy boresighter, just use the gun vise/rest and aim it at a paper target in the basement and get the cross-hairs centered. This will generally be all you need to do to get on the paper at 25 yards.
    5) Tighten all screws snugly but don't overtighten such that you strip them (a bit subjective as to what is tight but a little practice is all that is needed here)

Have at it and let us know how things work out. DIY is fun and satisfying and will give you a new source of enjoyment with respect to the shooting sports.

5. elderberry99

elderberry99 Guest

You need to ask yourself this:
    With the cost of the gun and the cost of the scope, isn't it worth a few more dollars to have a professional gunsmith install the scope for you?
    Any time I purchased a gun and or a scope from my gun dealer, he had his gun smith install my scope and mounts for me and never charged me any extra for doing it. I once had a problem with one scope that was mounted for me, but it was the fault of the scope and not the installer. I took the gun back to my dealer to have him install another type of scope on the rifle and he still did not charge me anything extra for doing the job.
    I am very confident in myself and the things I do, but there are times you can and should leave it to the pros. I have installed many scopes on my different .22's and also for neighbors and have never pinched or bent a tube doing it but can tell you that when I have to shell out a couple hundred for a decent scope, I will let the gunsmith handle the job for me. That is why they are there. JMO!

6. markIVbigblock

markIVbigblock Super Member

If you have any mechanical abilities at all you can do it yourself its so simple im sure my dog could do it...well maybe im exaggerating but i think he could if he had thumbs. I did mine by myself and I had never used leupold style mounts and the scope was rather pricey so I was a bit nervous but had no trouble at all someone mentioned getting the first ring straight since it has to be twisted in the mount this isnt a huge concern its pretty easy just use a piece of dowel rod or since i work in a fab shop i cut a piece of round stock that was the right DIA. good luck dont waste ur money having someone else do the job I know someone who had theirs mounted and bore sighted and it was a 300 win mag they didnt tighten the rings down so when he sighted it in the first shot the scope slid in the rings and it was just a waste of money.

Aaron

7. kiwi

kiwi Guest

IMO it's easy to do it yourself, but it also makes sense to let the store smith do it with his gunvise, culuminator,exact size screw drivers and free service etc. If you're buying the rifle and scope from differant places, your gonna be stuck with doing it yourself or paying a gunsmith to do it.If you do get a smith to do it make sure you are there when he does.The scope needs to be adjusted in the rings to suit you. Everybodys differant,arm length,neck length,glasses, no glasses all make a differeance.I think if you've never done it before, you should start with a secondhand .22 and a chinese scope.
    I have a draw full of stripped screws, and rings with broken studs, and blocked threads. :lol:

8. I didn't have any trouble putting a scope on my .22 rifle but I know it is different with centerfires. I don't think I would have a problem with centerfires either even though they mount to the gun differently.

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I do my own but have seen problems with first time do it yourself.I mount the base with locktite,I have a 24 inch wood dowl to align the front mount with the barrel,then I use a kit you can buy from midway,two aluminum 1 inch rods pointed on one end,I set them in the front and rear rings and tighten the screws,alot of times the rods will not align up and down so I have a scope shim kit I bought fron Brownells and shim if necessary (50% of the time you do have to shim),procede when you have it leveled,I bought a leveling device from Midway.Set distance correctly and tighten screws.Its easy when you have the correct tools,if not let a person that has them do it.If you want to learn how for other rifles watch someone do it.Just my opinion.Welcome Kiwi,I have been here for a couple of years and enjoyed your comments on the other website.Drop-Shot

10. hunter

hunter Guest

Thanks info

It took a little time for me to get a scope and put it on my rifle but i did it . A bought a 3-9 40mm hunter wicked optics scope and am going to go to the rang and try it tomarrow!

11. The_Cook

The_Cook Guest

I leveled my Barska on my rem 700sps with two of those neat little magnetic level things at both ends of the scope worked out nice, Wax paper makes a good shim. Also used a piece of string and a heavy Lead weight at 50yrds to make sure the crosshairs were vertically correct. I found out making sure your crosshairs go up and down correctly is a very important thing when I was shooting the .22lr Marlin 60. My crosshairs on the barska were canted to the left oh so slightly so when I tried to shoot at things farher out without shimming the scope, my shots would go right a couple of inches depending on how far out the target was from zero. For like three weeks I thought it was just the gun until I read an article somewhere on the net about it.

12. hunter

hunter Guest

Alright my scope is mounted but there is a small gap where the two parts of the mounts screw to gather. Is this normal or are my mounts to small. I sure that if i tighten the screws any more it would break my scope.