Quick opinion on a rifle....

Discussion in 'Rifle Opinions' started by hunter20, Nov 10, 2005.

1. hunter20

hunter20 Guest

If you had the choice which one would you get:

Slightly used remington 700 synthetic stainless 30-06 with a leupold vari-X II 3-9 scope, sling , hard case

or

Brand new weatherby vanguard synthetic stainless 30-06 with a bushnell banner 3-9 scope, sling, hard case ( a little less expensive than the remingtion)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I would go with the Remington as I am fairly familiar with the action and feel competent working on them myself and the scope is of much better quality than the Banner offered on the Weatherby, especially as you mention the cost is only slightly more for the used gun.

3. Maser

Maser Super Member

i say the remington too cuz even tho its slighty used its still a 700 which in my oppinion is the best bolt action rifle there is

4. Dirigo

Dirigo Guest

id go with the remington, better optics

5. mike .308

mike .308 Well-Known Member

Reminton Definatly

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I have a weatherby vanguard in 300 weatherby mag and I like it alot but as mentioned the 700 is a proven and rugged action and leupold is a fine scope,that would be my choice.Drop-Shot

7. hunter20

hunter20 Guest

Thanks everyone for replying. Looks like I will be a new owner of a remington. I have held both and I do have to say that the remington did feel a little better, but its always nice to get outside opinions. Thanks a ton!!

8. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Hunter,
    I'd go with the Remington also.
    What you said about the Remington feeling better, If it feels right ,buy it! Fit on a rifle is as critical as on a shotgun. If it fits right,you'll shoot it better.

HWD

9. 44mag

44mag Guest

i too would go with the remington, as I am more framiliar with them.

10. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The scope is the deciding factor for me. Although the Bushy Banner is a decent scope, the Loopy is the most vresitile scope ever made for the hunter.

Now, as to rifle, the Rem has a great track record, but it still has the poorest excuse for an extractor ever, IMHO. The Vanguard has a lightning fast lock time, but is also is dressed in plastic...I'm too darned traditional to warm up to plastic handles. The stainless steel doesn't give me "hot socks", either, but it is nice for bad weather conditions...as in Fall and early Winter...

You pose a bit harder choice than may appear at first glance. SOLUTION...BUY THEM BOTH! :wink: LIE TO THE WIFE... :roll: :shock: