Shooting World Forums banner

Rabbits

13K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  ONYX3.5 
#1 ·
What do you all use for shooting rabbits ? also what is the typical range you shoot them at ?
When I'm not using a shotgun I mostly use a .22 lr , ranges are normaly fairly close (under 50 meters) mostly just due to the way this property is laid out.
Be interesting to see what one of most Aussies favorite shooting pastimes is like in the states :wink: .

#2 ·
The "rabbits" I hunt are actually Snowshoe Hares, so named for their large, furred feet with widespread toes which allow them to run over the snow without sinking.

They inhabit very dense forests, and turn completely white in the winter, except for a tiny spot of black on the tips of their ears. They rely on their camoflage, and will not run unless you are very close, typically 5 meters or less. The trick is to spot one while slowly stalking through the brush and pick him off with a .22 to the head before he bolts.

#3 ·
I hardly shoot rabbits anymore, but when I did, I used a variety of guns based on the rabbit species. Varying hares (snowshoes) and cottontails were shot with air rifles at distances to 20 yards and with 22LRs out to 50 yards or a little further. These were mainly in woody or brushy areas and it was difficult to see them further away. Jackrabbits were shot with centerfire rifles from 222 on up to 243. Ranges were normally greater than 100 yards out to as far as one cared to try as these hares live in open plains type areas. Jacks were commonly in the 5 pound range with some individuals getting close to 10 pounds so a more powerful gun was needed. I still shoot a few jacks for the rancher where we hunt but that is about it. Rabbit numbers have tummbled until rather recently and I just don't like cleaning them as they stink bad.

#6 ·
Everytime I go Trap/Skeet shooting we have a chance to shoot rabbits, but don't. The range has a big population of rabbits and they are so used to the gun, that they will stand out hear the trap house and sit there while we are firing. They even are at the rifle/pistol range too...standing right next to your target as you shoot. Of coure since we are on a military base we've been warned to not to shoot them, though its so tempting... :lol:

#8 ·
Growing up I used to kill hundreds of rabbits with a single shot .22. Hitting them on the run wasn't the problem...just whistle loudly at them, and 9 times out of ten they will stop long enough to be a stationary target. I also took my share of cotton-tails in box traps. I only hunt them now when there is snow on the ground, but I use a 410 shotgun with no. 4 or no. 6. They are good eating, and I prefer them to squirrels which I slaughter every fall/winter.
In my part of the country, I have been seeing fewer rabbits in the last 10 years. Hawks and coyotes must be scarfing them up.

#14 ·
Rabbit hunting is my favorite. Way more fun than people should be allowed to have (though I'm eternally grateful that we're allowed). Last season I didn't have much time to do it, and I usually used my 12-gauge over/under. Next season I'm going to break out the .22LR and do it the "hard way". If my fiancee gets a hunting license, she'll get to come with me this time.

#16 ·
:D For Jacks, we shoot them with anything from the . 22 pistol up through the .375 H & H. Often in the late winter, when the snow is gone they can be shot at great distances on bare hillsides. Then any high speed varmit rifle is fun. For cottontails, I have been using my Browning .22 Hornet. We mostly hunt in the winter, and here bunnies can be seen sitting on snow banks or around old bldgs. or corrals. Head shots are the rule. Sometimes I use my 39A, but mostly the Hornet. I did hunt one day last year on the east coast with dogs.That was fun. Used a 12 bore, and trap loads. That was the only shotgun I had with me. :roll:

#17 ·
Guys, I am pretty new on this site. But when you talk of rabbits, I think jack rabbits. I was presented with an invitation last spring to hunt on a alfalfa ranch in E. Oregon. Plenty of sage rats and lots of jacks, as their numbers are terribly high. While we were there, we discovered that the jacks were out early mornings and evenings. We took advantage and using our 4 wheelers and 223's, we proceed to get into the best shooting I have ever had.

Many of the shots were 200-250 and we would move around the various circles till we shot all our ammo. The two of us shot 220 or thereabouts, jacks over two days. The rancher was exceedingly happy and we have a permanent invitation to shoot there.

By the way, we could move from one circle irrigation to another with ease using the 4 wheelers. Had a cooler strapped to the front for a rest.

Fred

#18 ·
I've had the best season on rabbits this year. I've used my .22LR. My property is completely innundated with feral rabbits and the numbers in AK are way up this year. I found the newer CCI Velocitors are absolutely deadly on rabbits. They don't shoot the best out of my rifle but make up for it in terminal effect. I find that the older I get the more I like small game hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.