Shooting World Forums banner

Raccoons?

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Jamas 
#1 ·
Best round for *****? Will my .22 LR work well?

-Jamas

#2 ·
It kind of depends on the reason you are taking the *****. I've killed a couple boxcars of ***** with a .22 LR. The vast majority have been in traps or in a tree after being bayed by hounds though. I've also taken a good number off the garbage cans, out of farm buildings, and other places with a .22 LR. That said, I would still have preferred someting a bit larger many times. Locally fully grown raccoons run in the 20 pound range with some getting over 25# to 30#. In town they get bigger as there are more garbage cans to raid. I've seen one fat enough that the belly rubbed the ground when it waddled around. I never had the opportunity to take him so don't know his weight though I'd guess 40 pounds as a start. I think a .22 mag would be a better choice for ***** if one is spolighting them and shots will be over 20 yards. On of the 17, .20, or smaller .22 centerfires like a 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, or 219 Zipper would even be better. The .22 LR has plenty of power and penetration for ***** with good shots but a **** is pretty tough and a less than perfect shot at night could lead to its getting away. Good hides went for $12 dollars at auction last winter and I've heard prices now are much better. That is a fair bit of money when all the hides are added up.

#3 ·
We had been on patrol for something taking chickens. To our surprise it wasn't a fox or a yote, it was ****. The shots are at about 15 yards, the furthest is out to 25. Every set up puts a potential flyer toward a house so the '06 is out of the question. Although we are taking them for other reasons, I would still like to skin them, would my 870 mangle them? What load should I use for them in 12 gauge. I am still waiting on the funds for my .223 :cry: . Thanks for the help.

-Jamas

I did shoot at one last night, but I rushed it so no dead ****. I did however give him a degree in "The big white dodge next to the chicken coupe"

#4 ·
Raccoons are terrible in that they can figure out most means of keeping them out of a structure. They are easier to catch than coyotes though. I would go with a live trap baited with cheap hotdogs, canned dog or cat food, or sardines. ***** will move Heaven and Earth to get these foods. When you catch one, tossing it into a pond or barrel of water is the safest and quickest means of destroying the animal. In this case a 22 LR should work but one still has to be careful of angles as a missed shot could still ricochette or the bullet can pass through and be a danger. I've used CB caps in similar situations but one must make perfect shot placement to be effective. CB caps are basically a .22 Short bullet powered by the primer. These are very short range options as energy levels fall off rapidly. A shotgun would work, I found lead 4s to work well. Summer pelts are usually worthless and in the past no one would buy them. There had been a shortage of raccoon pelts earlier which brought good prices for prime pelts and some interest in poorer winter pelts but I do not know if there is still some demand and if it extends to summer pelts. I would check with whatever fur buyer you plan on using to determine if it is worth the effort to case out and repair holes in the pelt. I'm guessing they'll tell you to not bother, these pelts are very poor quality at best.

#5 ·
Man hot dogs and catfood :shock: . I found a live trap up in the barn, put some hotdogs in and set it out about 11:00. They showed up in 15 minutes, but they didn't go in they flipped it over! So I pinned it down and will try again tonight. Thanks for the help...hotdogs...sigh.

-Jamas

#6 ·
I said they would move Heaven and Earth, a trap is nothing in comparison. I forgot to mention that setting the trap against a wall or fence and stacking something like wood, pallets, cans, etc along the other side helps. Kind of create a tunnel with just the ends open. I guess if you do something often enough you forget to mention all the aspects. Good luck.

#7 ·
Raccoons 2/ Me 2

I strapped the trap down and batied it with catfood, well I just through the can in, the can was gone in the morning. So the next night I put a pile of dry food in and topped it with the wet food. I piled it in such a way that, I hoped, his greed would make him stand fully on the release plate. I ended up at the hospital with my wife that night, and had a son the next night. I got a call from my father in law in the morning, asking if would be by to take care of the **** in the trap! The **** I thought I "educated" the first night was vitalled after all. I searched for him a while but couldn't even find blood, the flies helped us locate him a few days later in the dense brush between the fields. He died twenty yards from where he was shot. I will let the rest be for now, come winter that trap is going back into action though. And hopefully a new .223 for the yotes as well. Thanks for the help.

-Jamas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.