range of the .308

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by 870 ExpressMag, Jun 30, 2005.

1. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i just recently had my h and r ultra fitted with a .308 heavy barrel...whats my range on this..i will probably be putting a leupold 2-7x33 scope on it....never had a .308 so i am curious.....and if anyone knows the rate of twist in this barrel and whats the best bullet weight for it i would appreciate that also...i ran into that with the .223 barrel.. 1in12" twist i had to stick to 55gr or under...thanks for your help

2. wired

wired Guest

The range is a long way, and how long your effective range is depends on what you're shooting at and how good you are. Good long-range cartridge, for sure. The twist will be on the H&R/NEF website. If I remember correctly, it's a little faster twist than their regular barrels. The best size bullet, again, depends on what you're shooting at. I've heard the 165gr is the most efficient from a few guys that reload it, but I've never had any problems with the 180gr or the 150gr. Shoot a little bit of everything to find out what your rifle likes best. All rifles like something a little different.

3. wwb

wwb Super Member

My jim-dandy ballistics program says that a .308 165 grain spire point boattail launched at 2650 fps still has just a whisker over 1000 ft-lb of energy at 500 yards.

1000 ft lb is sort of a rule of thumb for the cutoff energy level for whitetails, though a lot of them are taken every year by bullets with a lot less energy.

The 500 yard figure is a lot farther than most people have any business shooting at a deer. First, at anything over 200 yards, your trajectory starts to become a consideration. And at 300 yards, you'll miss the animal completely if you don't know your trajectory.

To make a long story short, take one of the small paper plates (about 7" diameter), and find out how far away you can still hit it every time --- that's your maximum effective hunting range. Under actual hunting conditions, your range may be even shorter... you may have to shoot offhand, shoot from an awkward position, shoot when you're out of breath or shivering, or even shoot opposite-handed because you can't turn enough to shoot normally.

4. 870 ExpressMag

870 ExpressMag Guest

i looked on the website and i can't find the rate of twist

5. wired

wired Guest

Re: re: range of the .308

Wow, you're right :shock: . Possibly buried in the owner's manual somewhere? A good gunsmith may be able to tell you what rate of twist it is. You might want to ask around.