Range report

Discussion in 'Weatherby' started by Mike 257, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I took my 300 Wby to the range for the first time today. I loaded a batch of Hornady 150 gr SP with 77.4gr of IMR 4831.
    I was expecting this gun to kick like a mule , but I was very suprised it didn't feel much different than my .257, Anyway this guy who hangs around the range came over with a bore sighter and lucky for me he did because my scope was so far off. He got me on paper at 25 yrds with one shot. I took 2 more shots and had all 3 holes touching. I went out to 100 yrds and made some minor adjustments and again had 3 holes touching. After 5 shots my group opened up to about 1". I let my barrel cool down for 15 minutes and sighted in 1" high at 100 yrds with groups less than an inch. I took a total of 20 shots and that took me 2 hrs, this barrel gets really hot after 3 shots.Overall Im pretty happy with the results.

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

What rifle is it, Mike? That's real good shooting, those Weatherby's make you smile every time you squeeze the trigger! Glad your handloads are working for you. Hope you do well this hunting season.

Pat

3. Mike 257

Mike 257 Guest

Pat

It's a Mark V Deluxe. Its a USA made and it had a very plain stock on it. I bought an older Deluxe stock from a guy that has the skip line checkering and fiddleback the entire length of the stock,This stock is in like new condition without a flaw on it, it's absolutely beautiful . I put a Leupold Vari X II 3x9x40

I have a .257 wby setup up the same way , Leupold scope, very fancy wood. Also shoots 1/4 groups at 100 yrds.