Re-Placement Stock

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by ClintG, Apr 11, 2005.

1. ClintG

ClintG Member

Accurate Innovations Re-Placement Stock has a stock that I'm going to use for a re-build I'm doing. There are several standard features and up-grade options to consider.

Checkering: Standard is Laser cut 4-panel. The pictures look good but I was woundering if anyone has seen this and has an opinion. I don't think I would spend the additional $180 for hand-cut but I could ask about none at all, just plane.

Cheek piece: The standard is Straight "classic. The option for $20 is a raised cheekpiece. I assume the standard is no cheek piece at all just flat on both sides of stock. Does anyone have an opinion for or against a raised cheek piece?

Length of pull: The standard is 13.5" with a "Old English" style Pachmayr pad. I can get a custom LOP for $20 additional. I guess the question is what would be the optimum LOP? I know how much that is important in a shotgun but not so sure about the importance in a rifle.

High Comb: A option of 1/2" high comb for $15 is offered. Here again I know how important this is in a shot gun but not a rifle. The scope I will be using is a Leupold VarX III, 3.5 x 10, 40mm and I think medium high Leupold rings. Does anyone think with this set-up (on a Remington 700) that the additional 1/2" of comp height would be an advantage?

Thanks for any advice, Clint

2. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Clint the way I figure LOP (lenght of pull) is measure from the inside of the crease in the arm oppisite of the elbow to the trigger finger's last joint.,or put the rifle in the same crease and see where your trigger finger falls,it should fit in the trigger guard and the last joint should fall on the trigger naturally.Then measure with your hunting clothes on,mine is still very close.Strap a 2 inch piece of wood stock with rubber bands and snug your rifle to your face and see where your eyes point,if you have to raise your head to see the whole scope picture,then you need a cheek piece.I have to pull my head back with a high cheek piece to see the whole scope picture,that means I can't use a cheek piece.A gunsmith has an adjustable stock that adjusts all over the place to get that perfect fit.I use the method I described.The higher the scope mounts on the rifle the more math comes in to play.So pick the stock that fits you well and you won't have to strain to lift your head or over snug your cheek to the stock causing excessive rear pressure.Others on this site may have more advise,we have alot of smart folks here and most all know more than I do,so get alot of information before buying.Drop-Shot

3. ClintG

ClintG Member

I'm leaning toward not having any checkering on this replacement stock. Just a decent piece of wood and recoil pad. What do you think?

I also have a choice of materials fo the trigger guard assembly kit to convert from ADL to BDL. There is aluminum with black bake-on finish or stainless steel. The action and barrel is blued. I'm thinking of going with the stainless but can't visualize if this would look odd or not.

Maybe some opinions ?

Clint

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Clint are you going with wood or synthetic?If wood, I would get checkering for a good grip on the fore arm,but if laminated I am going to get mine plain.Wood is better looking but when wet it can get slippery,synthetic resists slippage better.Remmember now is the time to get it just the way you want it,if you wait it may cost more.I am going to order a plain laminated stock from these guys as soon as they tool up for tang saftey rugers.Drop-Shot

5. ClintG

ClintG Member

Drop-Shot, I'm going with the walnut with the oil finish. I just don't know about the laser checkering. In the web site pictures it looks dark like its burnt. The hand checkering is $180 extra and they have a option of wrap-around checkering. I guess I need to call or e-mail them and ask for more information.

Where I hunt here in Texas, it doesn't get all that wet and most of the time we don't have to worry about a wet gun. If its too wet we just stay around th' fire. Fair weather hunters I guess.

Thanks, Clint

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Sounds like a good way to hunt,I have only limited experience in the rain.I'am getting one from them but it will have to wait till they tool up for tang saftey rugers,and getting the forearm cut to a #5 contour will slow things down a bit.If not this year then next.I have many rifles to hunt with.Drop-Shot